Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boxer Dhalla is turning 9 months and she is a solo dog and she is crazy and fun but when she’s in her crate she acts like she is gonna die. She will just stand in her crate and drool on herself and jump around the crate until we get back home from work. Sometimes we come home and she’s made a mess 💩 all over the crate. I’ve never seen her actually do anything except stand there when we put her in and leave. We come back and she is a complete mess. We have recently tried these calming chews by Zesty paws and they don’t seem to do much. I’m getting tired of her having to feel this way and also cleaning the mess. We have tried doggy daycare and she caught a respiratory infection and it was really expensive to be put up 4 days a week. We’ve learned the hard way and she is too destructive to be left out or just be free all day. The only thing we give her during the day is her water bowl and a ball since she makes such a mess blankets, toys would just get ruined. I don’t think she’s meant to be in a cage and would love tips, tricks and advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you leave your dog in the crate 4 days a week 8 hours a day whole you two are at work? If so...any dog would mess them selves and go nuts. IMO that's darn near cruel as Boxer are known for being one of the most dependent upon human interaction out of all breeds. I cant even respond much further thinking she is left in the crate so long.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you have any family or friends nearby that can stop over through the day to let her out for a bit... maybe even a short walk ? Another thought would be to use a local dog walker / sitter that you trust giving access to your home to do that same thing, but obviously that will cost money and find someone you trust, but might be worth it for both you and Dhalla.

Many many years ago when my guys were pups, the first one I actually blocked in the kitchen that had his crate over in a corner, but the crate door was open and he had freedom of the kitchen. i puppy'ed proofed it 10x over and made strong enuf gates he could not get out of kitchen. I got real lucky with him as I was on my own and gone for a good 8 hours a day. Every so often a friend came over to give him a break. I did try daycare with him but didn't last long as I had similar experience as you, he got giardia.

My 2nd guy that joined us as a pup about 18 months later was crated. I made sure the divider was installed in the crate giving him enough space to get up and turn around, and that was it, and adjusted it as he grew. I also purchased a "blackout" cover for the crate. It covered the whole thing except where the door was... intent is to visually block what they can see to help reduce being stimulated. I made sure the "open" side with the crate door was pointed to a wall on other side of room with no windows and such. eventually I had to purchase pieces of plexiglass to lean up against the outside of the crate so he couldn't pull the cover into the crate and chew on it. So clever they are. And... I got lucky a few months after I got him as a few different trusted friends had time to stop over and give him a break mid-day, along with my older guy. Eventually the younger one got old enough where I trusted him blocked in the kitchen, and at some point run of the house along with my older guy... but that was at least a year or 2.

Not sure if you have the ability to give Dhalla a good long walk (exercise) before you leave for work ? Try to tire her out for a bit.

Some people use kongs that are filled with different treats and then frozen solid. Keeps them busy for some period of time. I never tried that though. I definitely did not do rawhides or pigs ears or anything that might create choking hazzard.

For both of them, I also had a radio turned on in the kitchen area while I was gone to provide them sound. They both are hard core AC/DC fans. But for others maybe something more soothing if that helps them. I still do this 12-13 years later, even though my (old) guys pretty much just snooze the day away now. I've seen other friends just use their TV or a smart assistant to play music.

All I can think of... good luck.

EDIT: just thought of something else... maybe consider setting up some type of "webcam" so you can see what's going on while you are going using your smartphone. A million types of cameras and setups available. I use Wyze cameras... they are inexpensive, can access from phone while out, has 2 way audio, decent quality... but again lots of different brands and options available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you leave your dog in the crate 4 days a week 8 hours a day whole you two are at work? If so...any dog would mess them selves and go nuts. IMO that's darn near cruel as Boxer are known for being one of the most dependent upon human interaction out of all breeds. I cant even respond much further thinking she is left in the crate so long.
It’s not uncommon for dogs to be caged while people work. Unfortunately that’s the only option for some with animals. I don’t personally believe in crating dogs or animals and ive never done it in my 27 years of having dogs growing up but unfortunately she isn’t my dog or in my name. I’ve expressed myself how it’s not fair and it make me personally uncomfortable. Some dogs react totally fine and some clearly have issues with it. I’m not saying dogs should be in cages clearly if you paid any attention at all to my post. I’m tryin to find a solution to the issue for the dogs own sake. Don’t judge before you know anything about the situation. Thanks for your constructive consideration tho online Karen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any family or friends nearby that can stop over through the day to let her out for a bit... maybe even a short walk ? Another thought would be to use a local dog walker / sitter that you trust giving access to your home to do that same thing, but obviously that will cost money and find someone you trust, but might be worth it for both you and Dhalla.

Many many years ago when my guys were pups, the first one I actually blocked in the kitchen that had his crate over in a corner, but the crate door was open and he had freedom of the kitchen. i puppy'ed proofed it 10x over and made strong enuf gates he could not get out of kitchen. I got real lucky with him as I was on my own and gone for a good 8 hours a day. Every so often a friend came over to give him a break. I did try daycare with him but didn't last long as I had similar experience as you, he got giardia.

My 2nd guy that joined us as a pup about 18 months later was crated. I made sure the divider was installed in the crate giving him enough space to get up and turn around, and that was it, and adjusted it as he grew. I also purchased a "blackout" cover for the crate. It covered the whole thing except where the door was... intent is to visually block what they can see to help reduce being stimulated. I made sure the "open" side with the crate door was pointed to a wall on other side of room with no windows and such. eventually I had to purchase pieces of plexiglass to lean up against the outside of the crate so he couldn't pull the cover into the crate and chew on it. So clever they are. And... I got lucky a few months after I got him as a few different trusted friends had time to stop over and give him a break mid-day, along with my older guy. Eventually the younger one got old enough where I trusted him blocked in the kitchen, and at some point run of the house along with my older guy... but that was at least a year or 2.

Not sure if you have the ability to give Dhalla a good long walk (exercise) before you leave for work ? Try to tire her out for a bit.

Some people use kongs that are filled with different treats and then frozen solid. Keeps them busy for some period of time. I never tried that though. I definitely did not do rawhides or pigs ears or anything that might create choking hazzard.

For both of them, I also had a radio turned on in the kitchen area while I was gone to provide them sound. They both are hard core AC/DC fans. But for others maybe something more soothing if that helps them. I still do this 12-13 years later, even though my (old) guys pretty much just snooze the day away now. I've seen other friends just use their TV or a smart assistant to play music.

All I can think of... good luck.

EDIT: just thought of something else... maybe consider setting up some type of "webcam" so you can see what's going on while you are going using your smartphone. A million types of cameras and setups available. I use Wyze cameras... they are inexpensive, can access from phone while out, has 2 way audio, decent quality... but again lots of different brands and options available.
Those are some great points and feedback. Yeah we have her huge cage and she has plenty of room to walk / stand / jump and be able to move. It’s there but I’d rather find another situation for her other than the cage. It isn’t a good feeling mentally to think of her in there for anything more than like 2/3 hours. She went to ten vet a few days ago and they said separation anxiety and the drooling is normal and even one of her dogs is like that as well. The last 2 days we’ve left her out in the house and be free but just put up all the pictures and anything she can mess up and she has seemed so much more relaxed while we’ve left her alone and so far there hasn’t been any mess or issues. She’s going on her pads while we’re away. We do have a camera to see her if we choose to. We’ve done the walks before and right now it’s soo hot here in Texas, she can’t stand it for too long. Even in the morning it’s in the 80s and 90s/100 in the day time. But now I get up for work around 5/5:30 so it would be very hard. I think she’s doing decent right now and seems happier not being in the cage so we’ll see how it goes.
Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Was she ever crate trained? From day 1 I have always crate trained my dogs. It taught them not only good potty habits right off but taught them it was ok to be alone, therefore keeping any separation anxiety at a minimum or none at all. Boxer are very people orientated and being in a crate for 8 hours really is pushing it. I'd have someone come in once a day and take her for a nice long walk then return her to her crate. Perhaps a nice frozen kong filled with her kibble in plain greek yogurt will help her have something to do whilst your gone. Only really good treats when she is in her crate. You can work on it when you are home. Meanwhile it seems you have found a solution and I hope it works for you. At 9 months mine may have eaten my couch. Though by a year year and a half he was good and I could have left him alone for 8 hours and he would have been fine but fortunately I never had too. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have had 3 dogs now that would not tolerate a crate just would not so I ended up putting them in a puppy proofed area of my house when I had to go somewhere so I agree crates don't work for all dogs. I have used crates on other dogs I have had but never for more than 3 hrs. at a time. Have you looked into possibly another daycare for your dog? Maybe one that was cleaner and more structured? Sounds like your dog needs more exercise especially when she is still in her puppy stage she will settle down as she gets older but for right now she needs more attention and playtime. I know its hot where you are but it is here too where I live in so I just get up extra early and take mine for a two mile walk to get their run in for the day other than that we stay out of the heat. I hope this will all work itself out and she will be ok where you have her in the house I have never used potty pads I think that teaches them its ok to go in the house so like the other poster said maybe you could look into having a friend stop by and let her out midday or maybe a dog walker?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glad she is doing better while left out of her crate than you thought!
Try putting the TV on for her. Doing so has helped calm my boy.
If you do have to revert to the crate, try throwing an old tshirt or something of yours in there with
something like a Kong filled with kibble as others have mentione.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Separation Anxiety is actually the most difficult of doggy issues to deal with! If given a choice, I'll take a Human Aggressive Dog (AKA Working line GSD) or a Dog Aggressive Dog (My American Band Dawg) any day, My Boxers and Boxer/Pits well just the usually level of Boxer "nuttiness," with those guy's but they were never crated nor were the others and they never "tore up the house,"

But not Crating was "my choice," out the gate and I laid the foundation for doing that from the start. You have "missed," that opportunity, that would have started at Day One. So now, it is what it is.

And yes "we," know "People need to Work." Sorry you felt the need to have to explain that ... but lot's of us get it. :)

And now it "seems," that have you have abandoned the Crate? And while I also, think 8 hours a day (Extra) is to much (where does she sleep?) Technically it is not. The general rule of thumb ... is a dog can hold it's bladder one hour for every month (past eight weeks, I think it is?)

So technically she should have been fine anyway, so there is something else that was going here? And most likely due to other factors ... the Crate was just too much for her? Now that is kind of a "whatever," make some changes and move on.

And if she is now out of the Crate, I don't want to help put her back in it! But thing's to know here. The "War, is not over." But your girl has won this battle! IE, "if I just throw a freaking fit, for long enough ... (my owner,) will give in!" So your girl "Won," this round but the war is not over?
:)

But the answer is "Not," to throw here back in the "Crate," and just say "Deal With It." If you were try to that approach ... this "Madness," could go on for years!

Case in point. :

Now that dog represents "three year's," of "Crate Madness," and had you continued ... most likely that is where you were headed? Now I already know where Jeff is headed with this dog? Cuz I stumbled across the answer many years ago with my "Formerly Human Aggressive Working Line GSD," you have to train an "Off Switch," dog's default to known trained behaviors. You train an "Off Switch," you "train," the dog to "Chill the heck out!" It's actually a "thing." And most dog owner's have no idea ... how it's done?

My Bella (Boxer/Pit) can easily match "Boxer Crazy," when I get home from work ... but I can "switch her off," with one word, I just say "Place," and point to where I want her to go! And that's it ... she is a rescue and we got her at One Year Old because her thrid owner's ... did not think it was
right that she spend 12 hours a day in a Crate?

So I basically, De-Crate trained her. With me she spent uh an hour or to in a Crate at bed time? Bella was fine but I could not handle it, my bad? Anyway ... I got more if you'd like? And if she is now out of the Crate anyway? I won't try and put her back in it for 8 hours?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad she is doing better while left out of her crate than you thought!
Try putting the TV on for her. Doing so has helped calm my boy.
If you do have to revert to the crate, try throwing an old tshirt or something of yours in there with
something like a Kong filled with kibble as others have mentione.
Best of luck!
Yes!! She loves the TV.. day 4 and she has been great so crossing fingers she can handle being out unsupervised! Thankyou!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It’s not uncommon for dogs to be caged while people work. Unfortunately that’s the only option for some with animals. I don’t personally believe in crating dogs or animals and ive never done it in my 27 years of having dogs growing up but unfortunately she isn’t my dog or in my name. I’ve expressed myself how it’s not fair and it make me personally uncomfortable. Some dogs react totally fine and some clearly have issues with it. I’m not saying dogs should be in cages clearly if you paid any attention at all to my post. I’m tryin to find a solution to the issue for the dogs own sake. Don’t judge before you know anything about the situation. Thanks for your constructive consideration tho online Karen.
My apologies, I meant no disrespect. I actually purchased a crate for my pup for my office. I figured I would stick in the crate while I had meetings or met with clients. The point being to prevent her from getting into something. But I found another another solution. "Marrow Bones." I buy them directly from my grocery store. I get the whole leg cut up, from knuckle to knuckle making about 30 pieces. Cost about $30. Then I freeze them. They keep my pup occupied for hours and hours hollowing out the middle trying to get the marrow and lil scraps on meat off the bones. Then she tires out, naps and go right back to her bone. Provides her physical and mental stimulation, good for her teeth and pack tons of nutrients. She gets 2-3 a week. By far the best time occupier I have have found. Supervise the first couple of times and make sure they are big enough to discourage swallowing. Throw them away if they still have meat pieces on them after the day. We live in Vegas so I understand the difficulties getting your pup exercise before work due to the heat and not having a backyard doesn't help. Here is a great article on Flirt Poles. Simple, cheap and great way to tire your pup out w/o having to leave your home as well as an reason to finally use colored duct tape.
The Flirt Pole: Dog Toy or Life Changer?
Also, How to exercise your dog indoor tips and opinions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your boxer is potty trained I’d leave blinds open out front and back of the house. Leave your boxer outside the crate but the crate door open, then go for a quick 20 minute drive, return and praise the heck out of Dhalla. An hour later do it again for 40 minutes, increasing the amount of time you’re away so she gets used to you being gone. Boxers want to see the action outside and guard your home. I’ll bet within no time she’ll be able to be trusted without the crate, but she might go into the crate on her own from time to time. Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My apologies, I meant no disrespect. I actually purchased a crate for my pup for my office. I figured I would stick in the crate while I had meetings or met with clients. The point being to prevent her from getting into something. But I found another another solution. "Marrow Bones." I buy them directly from my grocery store. I get the whole leg cut up, from knuckle to knuckle making about 30 pieces. Cost about $30. Then I freeze them. They keep my pup occupied for hours and hours hollowing out the middle trying to get the marrow and lil scraps on meat off the bones. Then she tires out, naps and go right back to her bone. Provides her physical and mental stimulation, good for her teeth and pack tons of nutrients. She gets 2-3 a week. By far the best time occupier I have have found. Supervise the first couple of times and make sure they are big enough to discourage swallowing. Throw them away if they still have meat pieces on them after the day. We live in Vegas so I understand the difficulties getting your pup exercise before work due to the heat and not having a backyard doesn't help. Here is a great article on Flirt Poles. Simple, cheap and great way to tire your pup out w/o having to leave your home as well as an reason to finally use colored duct tape.
The Flirt Pole: Dog Toy or Life Changer?
Also, How to exercise your dog indoor tips and opinions.
I'm curious, we got some big knuckles for Diesel years ago (from the local shop, pre cooked but they were huge half knuckles), he loved them for sure but it seemed like there was so much marrow that it gave him the instant squirts and we had to abolish them lol. These "marrow bones" are cooked already I'm assuming? Can you include a photo of what they look like cut up? Thank you in advance!
Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
No the marrow bones and knuckles are raw. Given to her frozen. The pre cooked ones in packages are extremely oily. They say on the package "primary Ingredient" is Beef Bone. But don't list what's NOT beef bone. Preservatives, dyes, seasoning? Dunno. If I feed those to my pup she will get the runs. And she MUCH more prefers the raw ones. First pic is what the knuckles look like. One knuckle is cut up into 4-5 pieces. Second the marrow bone cut into about 2" pieces. I give the knuckles more occasionally. They do not contain the marrow and are more meat, tendons/cartilage. Sometimes I trim some of it off. Too much could be hard to digest although my pup never had issues. *NOTE Beef "soup bones", commonly found in your grocers meat section are not the same as marrow bones. They are mostly meat with little bone a dog could swallow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts