Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I will need to crate my pup while my wife and I are at work but I was wondering if there was a better option like blocking off one of our hallways and leaving her crate open so she has more space to walk around so that she is not so wound up when we get home.  I will be able to come home at lunch to let her out of her crate if it's best to keep her in her crate all while we're at work.  Which option do you think works best and what did you guys do.  My wife wants to crate her but I want to give her a little more space.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well, I opted to crate Jetta when she was a pup until she was old enough that I trusted her in the house by herself.  The idea behind the crate is that its like a den and the dog will simply sleep while you are gone.  Of course a new puppy shouldn't be left in a crate all day, you'll need to find a time during the day to come home and let him out.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I would suggest to crate her first and let her gain your trust and then after a while you can ease her way to more room.  This is what we did with Attila and now he has full access to the house.  We cage Daphne no matter what when gone, and same thing with Ajax but he is crated when we go to bed.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We crate during the day while at work and let Rocky out on lunch break.  I find this really works for us.  I would love to have him outside but he's a fence climber.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
For a young pup, I recomend crating at first, better for you, better for your pup..Yes, you can "puppy proof" a room, but you would be amazed at what they can find to get into...It's best to get a larger crate with a divider..At first, you don't want your pup to have that big crate all to himself, it will encourage them to have accidents if they have lots of room...Make it a place that feels safe, a nice washable blankie, something of yours, like an old T-shirt, a couple safe toys..You can leave a radio playing to something soothing for when you are gone as well....Max time to leave your pup in there is about 4 hrs, I believe you said you would be coming home at lunch? That would work very well...Take him out potty, play hard with him, then he will be ready for a nap when you have to leave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts