Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to owning a boxer. My question is do you crate your boxer everytime you leave him/her alone? We have to try a put everything out of her reach so she won't chew it up because we don't crate her. Looks like I'm not going to have a choice she's one. She's chewing up shoes. Just looking for suggestions.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
OK, well first she is not chewing up , crap "because," she is left alone un-crated. She is chewing crap up because of a "lack of rules,structure and limitations." I'm certainly "Not," going to discourage using a Crate. And we can help with out with that. But ... it's a Boxer board and well you know not a Lot of rule following goes on, with ... "convectional wisdom," for the most part??

Not all but most of our dog's ... let's see ... sleep in our bed's, get up on the furniture at will, and free roam indoors at will. Now doing any one of those three thing's can lead to "issues," if your dog does not have a grip on the first three ie "Rules, Structure and Limitations."

It took me awhile to understand that "bit," butt in as much as I keep getting rescues and "De Crate," training them successfully. I finally understand ..."now," what the deal is.

But moving on if your going to Crate her, then you have to crate her! She should eat in her crate, sleep in her crate and when she is indoors .... she should go to her Crate. IE no free roaming indoors! You can't just cram her in her crate ... when you have to leave her alone.

I am not saying that is your plan here?? That's just my take on "Crating." Cuz on the other hand ... if you sent her away for a Two Week Board and Train $$$. She would come back "Crate Trained!" Pro's don't have time to "Screw Around," as it were. But you know there are "other means," to achieve a "well balanced calm-ish Boxer. :)

But we "can't," see your dog?? So we have no idea how bad she is??? If she is gonna tear up the house, eat crap she should not are chew up electrical cords?? Then you have to Crate Train her! Now I got's lot more. But we need to know how bad is she when left alone??? Welcome Aboard in case I missed you ... I've been away awhile. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the dog needs toys, get him some dice, a ball and stuff. Also the dog needs physical activity, take more walks, and walk without a leash. It is better to do it in the park or in nature, where there are no cars.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
We really don't know if this dog has any "recall at all, or can walk "civility on a leash??" Much less off leash?? Now maybe she can ... but at the moment I would doubt it??

·
Registered
785 Posts
The reason the shoes were the target is they smell like you so sounds like a separation anxiety thing. The crate would be a good idea if she will tolerate it if not block her in a room with nothing on the floor she can chew up I used baby gates for my dogs. It probably is just a stage she is going thru when my dogs were young they would chew things if they were allowed to get ahold of things but now they are almost 2 and 3 they don't chew anymore.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I believe in crating a dog. First as a puppy it is a safe place and will not only protect the puppy from getting hurt it will protect your home from damage. It is also a good place for her if ever she needs rest, i.e. after spaying or injury. I have always crated my dogs until they are a a year and a half, sometime thats where they go when I leave the house for a long period of time. Really not because I don't trust them but I feel more relaxed that they are safe. At one year old your dog is still a puppy and won't be fully mature until about 2. She will chew when she gets bored, she could even still have some of her adult teeth setting in her jaw which also makes them warrant to chew. If you don't want to crate her at this point, I would start spraying shoes with something like bitter apple spray, (its effectiveness isn't great but it helps some). I would leave her a kong, that has been frozen with perhaps some plain greek yogurt with her kibble mind in. And as Luvmiboxers said I would limit her access to the entire house by perhaps leaving her in one room where she can't get into anything that can harm her. My st poodle is good in the house and doesn't chew things up, though when I leave he is gated in the dining/foyer front room. His bed and toys are all in that room and that is also his spot to sleep at night. I am a light sleeper and a worrier so its a win for me. She will get past the chewing stage as she learns to have other things around to mentally stimulate her to, perhaps a few puzzles with treats for when she is unattended. Our boxer was crated till he was a bit over 2. At that point he only went in when we were gone over 4 hours but since he was well past chewing and was calm in the house we left it out just with the door open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a reason you don't crate her?
The reason why we don't crate her is because we've been working from home since we got her from my son in April. We have a nice size backyard and we let her run back there. I see from all the comments I'm going to have walk her so she can burn off that energy. I've never owned this breed of dog before so all this is new. We took her in because our grandchildren allergic to her. With everything going on I didn't want to just give her to anybody. She's a good do a little stubborn.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The reason why we don't crate her is because we've been working from home since we got her from my son in April. We have a nice size backyard and we let her run back there. I see from all the comments I'm going to have walk her so she can burn off that energy. I've never owned this breed of dog before so all this is new. We took her in because our grandchildren allergic to her. With everything going on I didn't want to just give her to anybody. She's a good do a little stubborn.
Ok (y),
So the short answer is I would always recommend you crate your pup when you're not home until the age of 2.
That's just the average but each dog is different. Some can do it younger, some can never do it.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Ok (y),
So the short answer is I would always recommend you crate your pup when you're not home until the age of 2.
That's just the average but each dog is different. Some can do it younger, some can never do it.
LOL, yeah, I have heard the "Two Year," bit beforehand from those I chose to follow and recommend! I am not "anti crate," so I'll not disagree, with that advise. But "apparently," I won't follow it either. Cuz if I had another WL GSD or a Mal-Agator ... that might a rethink?? Live and learn as it were. :)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I'm new to owning a boxer. My question is do you crate your boxer everytime you leave him/her alone? We have to try a put everything out of her reach so she won't chew it up because we don't crate her. Looks like I'm not going to have a choice she's one. She's chewing up shoes. Just looking for suggestions.
Thanks
Hmm I just now thought to ask. But is this a "puppy," or a "dog," One Year or older?? It's only a "minor point," for the most part.

But to answer your question "specifically," have a look here. :

ANd so you know among Boxer the females are/can be especially uh ... "Pig Headed." It's part of there "charm," I tend to think. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
And always remember don’t use the crate as discipline! The crate is like there man or woman cave, I have seen so many people use the crate for discipline and it’s not right at all. My mocha roo if she does something she is not supposed to she’ll know and put herself in the crate and close the door. But when I leave for work she knows she is to go to her crate. And there will always be a treat waiting for her in there as well as water, a comfy bed because all boxers love to be comfortable, toys a and a warm blanket because they hate the cold. Every dog I have owned I have crate trained and it’s the best thing ever did. They may not like it soo much at the beginning but put stuff that smells like you in there it will help them feel safe when your at work, keep it fine and interesting. I second crate train your boxer! (cause boxers aren’t just dogs there our children)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
And always remember don’t use the crate as discipline! The crate is like there man or woman cave, I have seen so many people use the crate for discipline and it’s not right at all. My mocha roo if she does something she is not supposed to she’ll know and put herself in the crate and close the door. But when I leave for work she knows she is to go to her crate. And there will always be a treat waiting for her in there as well as water, a comfy bed because all boxers love to be comfortable, toys a and a warm blanket because they hate the cold. Every dog I have owned I have crate trained and it’s the best thing ever did. They may not like it soo much at the beginning but put stuff that smells like you in there it will help them feel safe when your at work, keep it fine and interesting. I second crate train your boxer! (cause boxers aren’t just dogs there our children)
Thanks this is a very good post, with lot's of good advise! And the part about using the Crate as "punishment," is what I ... "wondered about??"

I'm not "Pro," Crate but I am not Anti Crate either. I was just trying to understand why the sudden need, to Crate the dog ie what is going on here?? And then just answer the question. :)

The ultimate answer is to "Create Calmness," in the dog and train calmness into them. It's a thing apparently?? And it took me year's until I stumbled across "Larry Khron," for one and in one of his Video's ... he explained to me ... what I have been doing?? Who knew. But going into that bit ... "the spefic question," that was asked, would have gotten lost.

But mostly this is just the start of the "Lock Down Wave," of badly behaved dog's is starting to crest?? IE owner's being home all the time and now suddenly ... "they are gone???"

But the crate would be a good "start," to reforming there relationship. And just as a side note and again it would be another topic. Walking the dog is extremely important! But not for the reason most owner's tend to thing?? One has "pretty much "zero chance," of burning of energy by walking any "working," type dog?? Unless maybe you "walk," for 15 to 20 miles??? Burning energy is "Not," what "Walking a Dog," is about. But that's another topic.

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
So is the OP still here?? How are thing's going?? And you do have a choice as to Crate or not. It's just that Crate Training ... is most likely the best advice.

·
Registered
Mabel - Boxer Born 2017 Marley - English Springer Born 2011
2 Posts
We have always had a crate in the house and most times at least one of the dogs is crate trained. I always felt that if my dog caused such destruction while not in my presence that they must be experiencing anxiety. My boxer that is currently put in a crate (someone said "crammed in") when I leave the house is there because I believe she feels safer in there. When left un-crated she will dig through plants and garbage, chew anything and everything she can get - all behaviors she has never done while I am home. I guess it really comes down to what works best for both owner and dog.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That's strange for me to hear about people's Boxers getting in the garbage none of my 6 Boxers I have had in my life has ever gotten in the trash not ever! I have gotten fast food and groceries with them in the car and left them alone with it before and they have never touched any of that! Now garden plants on the other hand some of my dogs have had vegetation fetishes before (lol)! Leave them alone in the yard with any planted thing that's another story altogether!

·
Registered
Mabel - Boxer Born 2017 Marley - English Springer Born 2011
2 Posts
That's strange for me to hear about people's Boxers getting in the garbage none of my 6 Boxers I have had in my life has ever gotten in the trash not ever! I have gotten fast food and groceries with them in the car and left them alone with it before and they have never touched any of that! Now garden plants on the other hand some of my dogs have had vegetation fetishes before (lol)! Leave them alone in the yard with any planted thing that's another story altogether!
I agree!! My boxer has never went into the garbage unless she is left alone-and then wow! She has even chewed pillows apart...once it appeared that it snowed in my living room when I got home from the little beads inside the pillows. That's why we crate her when we have to leave her for more than a few minutes. I can only assume that she is scared or agitated when we leave her. I would love to see what goes on that she creates such a disaster. Boxers are great and I know this one has such a wonderful personality normally. I am glad to see all the great stories on this site.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts