Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I never crated carter and now he getting bigger and he finds his way out from how I have it set up so he cant go in other rooms. So im wondering if its a bad idea to start crating him when im not home?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Its not a bad idea at all!! When I got my boy he wasnt crate trained and he was 6 months when I got him! He destroyed the room when we were out and pooped all over the place. Sooooooooo long story short I put him in the crate lol Its def not too late to crate him.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I am a big believer in crating your animal. It is best for the safety of your pet and your home. We have kenneled the girl since we brought them home and they LOVE their kennel!! Never too late, the hardest part will be not going to him when he whimpers or cries. Ignore him and he will be fine. it just takes some time and patience

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm in a similiar situation.  I tried to crate my puppy early on but he developed separation anxiety and I had to abandon the crate.  Now he's ok left alone but he's getting more mischeivous and he can climb over gates.  So I'm back to trying to crate him and he hates the thing.  People say the worst part is the whimpering, but I don't hear it if I'm not home so I could care less about that. No, for me the worst part is coming home to a crate that has piss and crap smeared all over it and the dog!  I don't know, it pretty much sucks right now.....I hope he gets over it, he's completely housebroken otherwise.  Definitely get him crated if you can, the earlier the better.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have had to start crating as well.  Broke my heart, but they really don't mind.  I put a bone in for each of them and they go to town.  They whine a bit through the night and I have to take them out to potty, but they are okay with it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I didn't crate train Sophie when I got her either as she yelped and chewed on the bars like I was killing her.  However, she is now 5 months old and loves the crate.  I just started giving her a kong toy filled with treats and leaving the door open so she could come and go as she pleased.  Now she is good to go in there when I need to leave for a while - and even goes in there to sleep from time to time.  Just keep it a positive experience for Carter and he will do fine.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It is never too late to crate train..When I got Samson at the age of 6, he had just been crate trained..Didn't like it, but it was either that or have major damage to my house...Angel is great with crating, just open the door, pop a couple treats in and she goes right in....Like Sully said tho, every dog reacts different, poor Oggie just suffered terribly.....Try it and see what happens, it's better than having your house destroyed and Carter getting into something he shouldn't

G

·
0 Posts
When we got Jetta...she cried and cried in the crate for over a month...around 3 months old she started to calm down...Bo was crated when we got him...and he doesn't mind it in small doses or overnight...neither really cry...they do whine a bit...

Now when we put Bo in the cage and tell him go to bed...Jetta goes to her side automatically.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
It's a great idea! Just make sure you make it as positive an experience as possible. Once he gets used to it, he will love it. Just make sure to be consistent to not giving in when he cries and soon he won't cry much at all. We just say "beddy byes!" and Sadie runs into her crate and waits for her treat. She is crated during the day with a break at lunch when Rob comes home for lunch. She is a very happy girl and doesn't mind it at all. We leave the radio on for her sometimes and we often put a frozen kong in when we leave to occupy her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts