Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Yup. seems a pretty simple step from where the OP is at. Be a bit tougher if they had a jumper, puller, dog reactive etc. Like you said, the structured walk is really not about exercise.
Well yeah "Structured Walks" are important,but they are more about building discipline and a bond then "exercise??"

The dog /puppy seems to do well on leash, and has no dog reactivity issues?? But does he get a chance to run?? Boxers can hit somewhere in the low 30 mph range. I wonder does this dog get a chance to run???

I did not think the "walk thing could be overdone?? But maybe it can?? Raising a well behaved dog properly is all about "balance," "Walking your dog is extremely important but it's not "everything.":)

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
No thats not how it works. Like I said its a combination of different techniques. Its using a command in conjunction with something else.

My dog knows verbal commands, hand signals, and facial expressions, so not really sure where you read I use the leash for no.
Oh Ok, then it seems I was not confused, cuz I did not understand where (leash for no)was coming from either. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Oh Ok, then it seems I was not confused, cuz I did not understand where (leash for no)was coming from either. :)
Me either.

The OP said in their original post "the command NO doesn't mean anything anymore" I think its great the OP rescued a dog and is working through the issues that were caused by a previous owner. I noticed they said when the dog starts biting they take him outside to play some more. I understand the logic, but the dog is getting a reward for biting and acting like a brat. There needs to be a consequence for ignoring "no" whether its the pet convincer or "sit on the dog" etc... I loved sit on the dog because it was basically you don't want to listen, well no more freedom for you. Thats a consequence. He figured out real quick it was better to listen to a command then lose his freedom in the house. NILIF thats the way we do it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I wonder if the past owners used to play with a "tuggie" in the evening. Kids have temper tantrums before bedtime, maybe that's his problem too. I think some young dogs just get to over stimulated, and it shows by being bad in the evenings. I wouldn't play tuggie, or any rough games. It seems like he's also being really pushy for attention. I'd ask the vet if he could try taking a Benadryl tablet with dinner, and make sure he doesn't have any teeth problems that are causing pain. I'm not being soft on him. This is very bad behavior, but you have to try to understand it first. Have you played hide and seek? You can make him stay, and then hide a small treat. When he picks the treat up say "Yes" right away. This way he'll learn the meaning of "Yes".

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Me either.

The OP said in their original post "the command NO doesn't mean anything anymore" I think its great the OP rescued a dog and is working through the issues that were caused by a previous owner. I noticed they said when the dog starts biting they take him outside to play some more. I understand the logic, but the dog is getting a reward for biting and acting like a brat. There needs to be a consequence for ignoring "no" whether its the pet convincer or "sit on the dog" etc... I loved sit on the dog because it was basically you don't want to listen, well no more freedom for you. That's a consequence. He figured out real quick it was better to listen to a command then lose his freedom in the house. NILIF thats the way we do it.
Oh that's nothing new (the No) when used properly ... it is an actual command. There have to be "consequences" in whatever manner for "non compliance!"

When "Trained" properly ... No means "stop doing whatever your doing and don't do it again!" It should be a, command, not a suggestion??? Most likely if the OP issued a "No" in a louder than usually tone as a "Command" and not a suggestion she would get compliance?? DOgs are sensitive to "tone of voice." It's a thing. :)

And if you used "Sit on the Dog" as a "correction??" well that's kinda odd? Cuz that is not what "Set on the Dog" is about?? It's an exercise, that, is well old as the hills apparently??? And it's about building a "building a Bond of Trust" between the dog and owner. Dog and owner as you know ... just sit and do nothing! That helps build trust in the dog with the owner and once you have that trust, everything else becomes easier. :)

It sounds the why of your doing it ... were slightly off?? But hey the results speak for themselves! Still "Sit on the Dog" is not a form of correction???

And yep, if the dog gets to go outside, when he bites the crap out of the OP?? Then yes he is being "rewarded" for inappropriate behaviour! And that is not gonna stop until the OP does something different?? The dog/puppy needs to be corrected, for that crap now ... or it's going to worst! At 7.5 months ...he is still in the "window" of "owner trainability.If he is still doing this at 12 to 15 months?? The Op is gonna need a Jeff Gellman, Larry Khron etc to fix this dog if they want to keep him.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I don’t think much of gadgets to train or “convince” pups or young dogs to behave or learn. That could be perceived as training by fear rather than by the voice of the owner. There are quite a few other “tools” on the market to persuade dogs how they should behave, or better said, how to be molded to please the owner. Some dogs are very sensitive, the use of such tools can be devastating. Patience and practice are both essential in training dogs.
As described, this is neither a shy or fearful puppy?? Shy and fearful dogs/puppy's don't want to bite?? They want to be left alone. They are only prone to biting, if one get's in there face. Just saying. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
And if you used "Sit on the Dog" as a "correction??" well that's kinda odd? Cuz that is not what "Set on the Dog" is about?? It's an exercise, that, is well old as the hills apparently??? And it's about building a "building a Bond of Trust" between the dog and owner. Dog and owner as you know ... just sit and do nothing! That helps build trust in the dog with the owner and once you have that trust, everything else becomes easier. :)

It sounds the why of your doing it ... were slightly off?? But hey the results speak for themselves! Still "Sit on the Dog" is not a form of correction???

Maybe not what it was originally designed for but when you think about it, its perfect for a dog in the house thats acting up. Its teaching the dog two things, 1: you act up you get no freedom and have to lay here quietly, and 2 building the bond and leadership that it is supposedly for.

I think there are so many ways to train, you just have to find the right way for your dog, since they all respond differently. If that means tweaking something, I say go for it. lol. All I know is it fixed any inside issues with my guy in a week. :dance:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our last two boxers both had overtired crazy behavior around 9 to 9:30 pm. I think your comparison to an overtired toddler is spot on. We found that holding them tight in our laps and holding a chew toy for them to work on helped. They both outgrew the nighttime bouts but I do remember being worried about it!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Maybe not what it was originally designed for but when you think about it, its perfect for a dog in the house thats acting up. Its teaching the dog two things, 1: you act up you get no freedom and have to lay here quietly, and 2 building the bond and leadership that it is supposedly for.

I think there are so many ways to train, you just have to find the right way for your dog, since they all respond differently. If that means tweaking something, I say go for it. lol. All I know is it fixed any inside issues with my guy in a week. :dance:
I'll not quibble with your results but ... you left something on table as it were.

"Sit on the Dog" and "The Place Command," have an overlap as they both "train calmness" into the dog but they have different end goals.

With "Sit on the Dog" the dog is well on a leash, as such he/she has no option but to comply. He doesn't need to make "Good Choices" because he is confined to you. With the "Place Command" the dog learns to settle and be calm but he is free to move about a confined area (say a throw rug) for training purposes but the dog needs to "chose to stay there."

Once "Place" is trained ... that is how you control the "crazy" indoors! You'd point to his area and say "Place."

What you did worked but you have no command for "calm and remain/here dog" as it were.

And I morphed "Place" in the "Real World." Instead of "Place" as I did not know what that was at the time so ... I trained "On The Lawn." The whole of our front yard was just a giant "Placemat." My dogs were free to move about the whole of the front yard ... they just could not leave it!

And to forestall someone asking ... "Stay" won't work for that! Stay is a formal command and it means remain "here" and don't move! That is not what I wanted. They were free to move and play ... they just couldn't leave the lawn! They got that.

And with Rocky (WL GSD) Sit on the Dog, helped me to build the bond of trust ... that we were apparently missing??? And "Place" helped me to keep company safe! If/when company came over ... he went to "Place" and it was my job to keep guest out of his face, worked out fine.

And as to "Sit on the Dog" ... that came into play at the Vet's office as in the waiting the area ... dogs on leashes. But again we did what we do, we set and he ignores ... nothing new here?? And he was one of the best behaved GSD's at the Vet office! And vet visits can be a big deal with those guys! As they tend to much care much for strangers!

Ihope this was kinda clear?? No issues with your results but I just wanted folks to understand ... it's "both" "Sit on the Dog and The Place Command."
Kinda similar as the end goal is a calm dog but different. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
T

And if a dog, "won't do something he ought not to be doing because he is afraid?" That's is fine by me and others! The dog is "afraid" because of "Properly Applied Consequences for Inappropriate Behaviour!" Make Better Choices Dog", is how the PC works!

Sorry but I completely disagree, this is not the advice the OP needs – training a dog through “fear” and feeling comfortable with this are very old methods of dog training and should not be applied at all, especially with young dogs and even more so without understanding their background and what they might have been through.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
"he saw me reaching for the leash, he became an angel"
His dog understands ... that the leash also means, it's time to chill because of how he trained and used it. That is not true of most dogs but not really a surprise with Matts dog. :)

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
T

And if a dog, "won't do something he ought not to be doing because he is afraid?" That's is fine by me and others! The dog is "afraid" because of "Properly Applied Consequences for Inappropriate Behaviour!" Make Better Choices Dog", is how the PC works!

Sorry but I completely disagree, this is not the advice the OP needs – training a dog through “fear” and feeling comfortable with this are very old methods of dog training and should not be applied at all, especially with young dogs and even more so without understanding their background and what they might have been through.
Oh, I don't doubt you disagree??? Most "average owners and trainers" don't get that either, I would say.

You brought ... "a devastating effect on the dog" into this not me??? And sure the PC would most likely send a skittish. nervous weak, nerved puppy running for cover??? But I seriously doubt that describers this members puppy???

A dog will ... understand, a properly, timed correction by whatever means! A PC is non contact ... the dogs "BEHAVIOR" created the "Consequences." And if I don't do that ... nothing bad happens (the puppy)???

If "Fear" of "Consequences" stops a dog from "Attacking or Killing" another dog and "Attacking Humans" yeah .... I'm good with "Fear of Consequences!" Owners and Trainers, that don't understand that, put those dogs down!

Now all of that said most, likely it sounds kinda crazy to Boxers folks?? I had "Zero" issues with my Boxers, APBT/Boxers and American Band dog, but my first over size, Pack Fighting, working line, GSD (Foster Fail) and oh yeah I don't much care for people either!! Sent me to the ER for stitches (breaking up pack fights!) before I got my act together!

And before you go there ... he never received a "harsh correction" for any untowards behavior to humans or dogs! Positive Only only as it happened. But if fear of "consequences" would have worked also ... I'm good with that! But if one has only Boxer experience and American Line at that?? They have no idea what a dog with "Serious Issues" is about! Been there done that, got the stitches! If you've not been there ... you have no idea!

Puppy's at six weeks,that you own are a piece of cake! Stick with American Line Boxers ... and most likely you will never understand"that "fear of consequences can be good??" But you know add a 7.5 month old Wl GSD to your "pack" and do what you typically do with an American Boxer ... and at about 1.5 years old or so ... if you got "Crap Wrong" with the "Exercise and Training" thing?" I'll sound a lot more reasonable. Those that can do, do those that can't, PTS ... just saying.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow! Can’t you take the emotions out of the discussion? What makes you think I am your “average owner and trainer”? Your comments “killing dogs” and “ attacking humans” – well, here comes the justification of the fear thing again. There is never a guarantee, no matter where the boxer comes from, US, Germany or the UK – I have never said that I am not for harsh correction, I did say though I don’t like the using tools or the fear methodology – if a dog does what you want it to do, then it needs to do so because it respects you for you being who you are and because it wants to please you – not because it fears you or fears consequences – I don’t have much trust for such trained dogs…. Time bomb dogs.
Your comment about owners and trainers who do not understand the fear of consequences will put their dogs down, is in my view, quite a radical Statement / assumption assumption

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I don’t think much of gadgets to train or “convince” pups or young dogs to behave or learn. That could be perceived as training by fear rather than by the voice of the owner. There are quite a few other “tools” on the market to persuade dogs how they should behave, or better said, how to be molded to please the owner. Some dogs are very sensitive, the use of such tools can be devastating. Patience and practice are both essential in training dogs.
Well I like this "tool". My dog learned all voice and hand signals. The pup I have now gets overly excited and will jump about 5 ft in the air when he does. One time use of the convincer and now I can just say psst. He is almost 10 months . A dog must understand what you want from him once he does and still tried to make his own decision is when you use the tool. A convincer is mild and not a harsh correction. Its in the timing puff/NO. Worked with a master trainer on this. He is not fearful of the pc, it gets his attention and brings him back into focus. You must know the proper use of a pc just like any other tool.
Matt advise of structured heel (teaches respect) and sitting on the dog also teaches calm to the dog. The biting and jumping around I am sure is puppy/adolescent behavior and is still learning rules in his new home. Sitting on the dog will help a

·
Registered
980 Posts
"he saw me reaching for the leash, he became an angel"
Yup, my puppy knew there was a consequence and he would lose his freedom in the house for when he decided he didn't want to listen to the command "no" or for that matter any other command. He then decided to start making the right choices to listen to commands rather than lose his freedom. Has nothing to do with using a leash or any other tool, its the consequences of not listening, and the dog making the correct choice.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Could you take him to a daycare at least 1/2 day a week? He could be with other dogs, and get rid of some energy. I also wondered what would happen if you put a dog bed down in your bedroom. Our bedroom is tiny, but our Boxer starts out on his small dog bed on the floor, and then leaves to sleep on the couch. It's unusual for him to try to sleep in our bed. If he jumps up he's only there for a short while. I'm going to get blasted for this advice. It all depends on whether he is well trained to go potty outside. Would he let you know? Might be worth a try if possible. It sounds like he is really having trouble with anticipating being isolated in his crate. Oh well, might as well buy a bigger house:)

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Well I like this "tool". My dog learned all voice and hand signals. The pup I have now gets overly excited and will jump about 5 ft in the air when he does. One time use of the convincer and now I can just say psst. He is almost 10 months . A dog must understand what you want from him once he does and still tried to make his own decision is when you use the tool. A convincer is mild and not a harsh correction. Its in the timing puff/NO. Worked with a master trainer on this. He is not fearful of the pc, it gets his attention and brings him back into focus. You must know the proper use of a pc just like any other tool.
Matt advise of structured heel (teaches respect) and sitting on the dog also teaches calm to the dog. The biting and jumping around I am sure is puppy/adolescent behavior and is still learning rules in his new home. Sitting on the dog will help a
Yep, properly timed and properly utilized it should work just like that.

And on "here" we've had only one report that I am aware of an owner becoming concerned, about the "devastating" effect of the PC. She used it "once" for uh puppy biting and the puppy ran for cover!

I don't know how long he hid ... (the fear thing I suppose.) She was concerned enough that she started a thread to asg and from there get k for further suggestions?? And the suggestion was, well to do what you did. Since you've already made your point. Put the PC away and trying saying "Ptsss!" Worked out fine. If an owner can stop the bad behavior first, then they are more likely to keep and there dog and from there get on with training.

And that last bit is not a dig at the OP. She got the dog at five months so bad habits had already been developed and practiced for awhile. She has to break the "biting pattern" first and proceed from there.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Wow! Can’t you take the emotions out of the discussion?
LOL "this" ... you should have seen the "old" me. Actually you still can you just gotta[know where to look. :)

What makes you think I am your “average owner and trainer”? Your comments “killing dogs” and “ attacking humans” – well, here comes the justification of the fear thing again.
I have no idea who you are???
You maybe a "Dog Trainer" for all I know??? But if you are, you sound "par" for the course??? Your the one that brought up "Devastating Effects and Harsh Corrections." So of course, I counted with "Dog Killers and Human Aggression" and how sometimes ... "fear of consequences" can be useful. And a properly timed correction "delivered free of emotion," does not create a fear of the owner, just saying. And then "fear of consequences" becomes a "training mythological???"

Life is fairly simple if one is reasonably competent and starts with a puppy? But get a rescue at 7 months or so and 5 months down the line ,find you have uh ..."serious freaking issues?" And one has best get there act together quickly or re-home the dog! And in my "opinion" someone that, Attacks, "Sit on the Dog" the "Place Command" and the "PC" ... would be a pretty poor choice?? And that sounds like the type of trainer the "OP" has found ... that "trainer" has little clue, on how to deal with this dog ... in my opinion. :)

not because it fears you or fears consequences – I don’t have much trust for such trained dogs…. Time bomb dogs.
Your comment about owners and trainers who do not understand the fear of consequences will put their dogs down, is in my view, quite a radical Statement / assumption assumption
A "time bomb" dog??? LOL ... I had one! And that experience is what made me, me! Live with 116 lbs of Over Size Working Line GSD and have him cut lose one day "out of the Blue" on your 85 lb American Dog! Five freaking times, breaking that crap up was how I got them stitches! That was during my learning curve stage and I never solved it and Gunther passed due to unrelated issues. :(

And then after that crap ... he decided he liked uh "No One" aside from me Struddell and my wife! I could not have him going after uh "everyone??" And I was not willing to hire a "trainer" and "try" crap that was not gonna work?? SO I looked for trainers that dealt with serious issues in dogs, and I would do that. And "NO" there were no harsh corrections, as I could not, with Rocky (WL GSD) as he was also a "Wobble Dog." And a harsh correction "SLL" or not could have seriously injured him?? But inside of five feet ... he was deadly ... so you know, not as "harmless" as he seemed???

So we had work to do. And "harsh corrections" ... meant nothing to him! In any case, which I tried with the pack fights ... to no avail. I had tried that uh hands on with the pack fighting thing! And it meant "nothing!" So you know he was "apparently not as "fragile as one would have assumed??" And after that ... the people thing??? At any rate, I had a problem here??? And I was not going to make my problem ... someone else's problem???

And a typical "PO" trainer would mostly have suggested ... let's see treats to trick the dog into letting people into his face?? And other crap that would not work??? Most likely after he bitten someone ... I guess that did not work??? But hey I don't know as I never bothered with "Trainers" ... I'll figure it out on my own and I did. And, I did what anyone could do ... Google, is your friend. Only difference is ,I was not in the mood for trial and error?? So the Zak's George's and Victoria Sitillwells, were off the list!

I looked for "trainers that were successful in rehabbing dogs with uh "serious issues" and I'll do that. And it worked and no there were no harsh corrections! It started with building a "Bond of Trust"which I had "assumed" we already had?? Because you know, I'd had him for 6 or so months before crap went sideways??? But you know apparently, ownership of a dog does not equate to a "Bond between dog and Owner??"

So I searched for "Trainers" that dealt with dog's with serious freaking issues and solved them successfully and I'll do that! I was not in the "mood" for a discussion or a debate ... just answers to solve my problem! And I found them and they worked, seemingly without much effort??

At any rate ... with "Rocky"I did not know that we had now established that "bond of Trust??" I had no idea that things had changed between us?? And then one day ... this happened. :

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/399905-what-would-my-dog-do.html

So you know intentional or not?? Your dissing techniques, that have been proven successful on "thousands of dogs!" As I am want to say ... "Show me the dog" that walks well on leash, knows the "Place Command" and who's owner routinely does "Sit on the Dog" and they still have problems???

Cuz in thousands of posts and mostly likely close to a million words??" I have not seen that happen???

There is never a guarantee, no matter where the boxer comes from, US, Germany or the UK – I have never said that I am not for harsh correction, I did say though I don’t like the using tools or the fear methodology – if a dog does what you want it to do, then it needs to do so because it respects you for you being who you are and because it wants to please you –
For the record ... the only tool I use is a SSL (Slip Lead Leash) as that is the only tool Rescues will allow you to use on there dogs. And most rescues ... don't have a clue as to how properly use a SLL! On Geramanshepardforum, they used to tell me ... all the time, how I can't use that tool on a "Hard Dog??"

Aww, well so they say ... but I have not found that dog yet?? But when and if I do ... I'll be sure to post.

And sure there are no guarantees in rehabbing a dog?? And no I have not seen the OP's dog?? But based on what she describes, no aggression issues with dogs or people?? I would speculate that it is an American Line Boxer?? And no ... they are not the same as the "Euro's" different, temperament and drives. The Euro Boxers are still doing the IPO,LE K9 thing in America, the AL Boxers ... not so much.

As described he sounds pretty much the same as my AL Boxers, as well as "thousands of other" remarkably similar Boxers on here, I would say? And, actual, HA Boxers are pretty rare on here, maybe two or three a year??? But the things you "attacked" are about building a "Bond of Trust" and a "Relationship" with the dog. There is nothing "harsh" in doing "Sit on the Dog" or "Place" and the "PC" can solve an immediate need ... right freaking quick! And the "PC" is not training but it can solve an "issue" quickly and thus give the owner time for "training."

And Place and Sit on the Dog, are things that all "effective trainers" that can actually help an owner, with an issue prone dog do. And, they are what I do ... all the time. Save for the PC ... as I did not know about it at the time??? It would not have impressed my Boxer in any case as using the vacuum clearer on reverse to blow her flues ... was one of our games! I suppose I'd inadvertently PC proofed here?? So yeah she was not a shy or fearful dog or puppy. :)

At any rate if I got you wrong??? I humbly apologize, it's just that sometimes the simple to do ... take a lot of words to explain ... my bad???

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
chip She has to break the "biting pattern" first and proceed from there.
Yep and I think she will. To me it sounds like the dog was crated a lot even before they got her and she is just being a puppy but at 7 1/2 month and mix in those almost teen years.n Gibving the dog a job, structured walks, play time and sit on the dog will in time quiet this pup down. The dog is probably saying Yay wow I have a home with people who love me and play with me and right now just doesn't know how to handle it.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts