Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you everyone for the tips. The biting is not aggressive it is playing but it hurts and he has left marks on me. I believe the biting is for attention which is what I understand he lacked in his first home. I have purchased a sonic egg on a suggestion of a co-worker. We have had the sonic egg for 2 days and used it 4 times and you would not believe the difference just getting his attention with a firm NO and pushing the egg while he is biting and he stops. I know this may be a slow process which is fine I just need to stop the biting and getting crazy at night. The last couple of nights he has been so good but he was so exhausted staying out of the crate all day so tonight will be when I know if the sonic egg will work on him. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Could you take him to a daycare at least 1/2 day a week? He could be with other dogs, and get rid of some energy. I also wondered what would happen if you put a dog bed down in your bedroom. Our bedroom is tiny, but our Boxer starts out on his small dog bed on the floor, and then leaves to sleep on the couch. It's unusual for him to try to sleep in our bed. If he jumps up he's only there for a short while. I'm going to get blasted for this advice. It all depends on whether he is well trained to go potty outside. Would he let you know? Might be worth a try if possible. It sounds like he is really having trouble with anticipating being isolated in his crate. Oh well, might as well buy a bigger house:)

Hi Owenowlsnest,

He is sleeping on his bed in eyesight of us no crate at night just daytime only....Yes, he is fully potty trained and will wake me if he needs to go out. So far once you can get he calmed down and a sleep nothing wakes him and he stays on his bed all night. I would let this puppy sleep anywhere he will lay down and calm down at. I did purchase a sonic egg and we have used it for the last 2 days and he stops biting when you push the button.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It sounds like both of you are lucky to have found each other, and the sonic egg. I wonder if some type of chew bone would help him relax. I used to use Deer Antlers, but they were so hard it messed up my dog's teeth. Maybe some big sweet potato chews?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
chip She has to break the "biting pattern" first and proceed from there.
To be clear ... "YES" I concur! :)

I "thought" I had stated that also?? Cept most likely not that "clearly??" IE, "the bitting thing is most likely, why the OP, has this dog?" As you most likely know ... much like my Struddell, I am easily distracted. :)

Letting "Crap Go" unchecked, is not one of my strong points, nuff said. :)

Yep and I think she will. To me it sounds like the dog was crated a lot even before they got her and she is just being a puppy but at 7 1/2 month and mix in those almost teen years.n Giving the dog a job, structured walks, play time and sit on the dog will in time quiet this pup down. The dog is probably saying Yay wow I have a home with people who love me and play with me and right now just doesn't know how to handle it.
Well put and no disagreement from me! :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Hi Owenowlsnest,

He is sleeping on his bed in eyesight of us no crate at night just daytime only....Yes, he is fully potty trained and will wake me if he needs to go out. So far once you can get he calmed down and a sleep nothing wakes him and he stays on his bed all night. I would let this puppy sleep anywhere he will lay down and calm down at. I did purchase a sonic egg and we have used it for the last 2 days and he stops biting when you push the button.
Well first ... if your gonna drop something like a "Sonic Egg???" On us ... you ought to provide to provide a link. :)

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/training-and-behavior/bark-control/sunbeam-ultrasonic-egg-dog-bark-control-device-5169731.html

So that done ... if it works for you great! But ... it's not really addressing the biting issue?? The puppy is overly excited and he just happens to bark while biting??? If/once he figures out ... that egg, ie if I don't make a sound ... I can still bite?? You will continue to have a problem??

Again your continuing to do what the previous owners did and what most "people do." Avoiding "Correcting the Dog" cause you are raising a dog! Once he figures out the egg thing ... he Will/Can, continue TO BITE!

The only dog that made "my blood run cold with people" ... was my GSD! And he never made a "Sound" that anyone nearby could previcie?? I happened to be next to him ... so I could heard it but "no one else could. And it was first a "Cold Hard Stare" (the first time we had company over) and a "low rumble" at guest ... was the only clue I had? He looked at company like they were "Raw Meat" and there was the low rumble in chest!!! That is when my "Blood Ran Cold" WTH??? A "Sonic Egg" would not have done crap to stop him!

So no, if you don't have that??? Your "puppy" is not "Attacking You??" But he does not respect you either?? His "MOM" would have put a "Stop" to this crap, hard fast and right freaking now! Moms are "leaders" not another "playmate?? You are still ... just a "furless puppy" and not someone he has to respect??? Until that changes ... you will continue to suffer/struggle??

But hey ... people bend over backwards to "avoid" Correcting there dog???" Maybe the "Egg"" will work for "You" and maybe it won't? I don't know?? But I do know ... that the longer he continues to do this crap, the better at it he will become! At 7.5 months the "biting is tolerable" at a 12 months or more ... not so much???

If your not willing to ..."just grab his freaking lower jaw, squeeze,and hang on" and say "NO!" Use a "PC" and call it a day ... problem solved, a 3 second fix ... I would say??? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Our last two boxers both had overtired crazy behavior around 9 to 9:30 pm. I think your comparison to an overtired toddler is spot on. We found that holding them tight in our laps and holding a chew toy for them to work on helped. They both outgrew the nighttime bouts but I do remember being worried about it!
Hi Linda,

Thank you! I am agree. The last 3 nights we have paid more attention to his state of mind and it seems to be getting better. I feel I may have been looking at this all wrong and trying to wear him out. I have tried more mental stimulation along with walking and playing and things are looking a little better in my house.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It sounds like both of you are lucky to have found each other, and the sonic egg. I wonder if some type of chew bone would help him relax. I used to use Deer Antlers, but they were so hard it messed up my dog's teeth. Maybe some big sweet potato chews?
We have tried and we have chew bones for aggressive chewers but so far that was not helping at night. Last night was awesome once I started paying more attention to physical exercise plus mental training and the sonic egg if needed he is doing better. I still feel that we were over stimulating with too much action and not enough thinking. We will get there I will not give up or give in. Last night we had a moment of total licking on my son where normally that would have been uncontrollable biting and not being able to get his attention. Any improvement is a celebration for us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I wonder if the past owners used to play with a "tuggie" in the evening. Kids have temper tantrums before bedtime, maybe that's his problem too. I think some young dogs just get to over stimulated, and it shows by being bad in the evenings. I wouldn't play tuggie, or any rough games. It seems like he's also being really pushy for attention. I'd ask the vet if he could try taking a Benadryl tablet with dinner, and make sure he doesn't have any teeth problems that are causing pain. I'm not being soft on him. This is very bad behavior, but you have to try to understand it first. Have you played hide and seek? You can make him stay, and then hide a small treat. When he picks the treat up say "Yes" right away. This way he'll learn the meaning of "Yes".
I would agree with all of this....Temper tantrums before bed pushy for attention which is where I believe the biting/nipping is coming in for attention. If I sitting on the couch and he starts the nipping/biting I say NO and remove myself for maybe 1 minute the first time and up to 5 minutes and it leaves him laying there like what. This helps right then but the next night he starts over again. I have not tried the hiding and seek maybe something else I can try inside. It's like he has no house manners and when it gets dark and time for him to stay in the house he just gets crazy. When I asked the vet about the nightly behavior his suggestion was he needed to be in a crate at night. I firmly believe that is what the root of the problem is now. The previous family kept him in a crate way too much. Was not able to come inside without being in a crate. That is not what we are wanting to do. He has to stay in a crate when we are not home. We are working with a lot of the suggestions and the last couple of nights have been so much better. Maybe he catching on. Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well first ... if your gonna drop something like a "Sonic Egg???" On us ... you ought to provide to provide a link. :)

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/training-and-behavior/bark-control/sunbeam-ultrasonic-egg-dog-bark-control-device-5169731.html

So that done ... if it works for you great! But ... it's not really addressing the biting issue?? The puppy is overly excited and he just happens to bark while biting??? If/once he figures out ... that egg, ie if I don't make a sound ... I can still bite?? You will continue to have a problem??

Again your continuing to do what the previous owners did and what most "people do." Avoiding "Correcting the Dog" cause you are raising a dog! Once he figures out the egg thing ... he Will/Can, continue TO BITE!

The only dog that made "my blood run cold with people" ... was my GSD! And he never made a "Sound" that anyone nearby could previcie?? I happened to be next to him ... so I could heard it but "no one else could. And it was first a "Cold Hard Stare" (the first time we had company over) and a "low rumble" at guest ... was the only clue I had? He looked at company like they were "Raw Meat" and there was the low rumble in chest!!! That is when my "Blood Ran Cold" WTH??? A "Sonic Egg" would not have done crap to stop him!

So no, if you don't have that??? Your "puppy" is not "Attacking You??" But he does not respect you either?? His "MOM" would have put a "Stop" to this crap, hard fast and right freaking now! Moms are "leaders" not another "playmate?? You are still ... just a "furless puppy" and not someone he has to respect??? Until that changes ... you will continue to suffer/struggle??

But hey ... people bend over backwards to "avoid" Correcting there dog???" Maybe the "Egg"" will work for "You" and maybe it won't? I don't know?? But I do know ... that the longer he continues to do this crap, the better at it he will become! At 7.5 months the "biting is tolerable" at a 12 months or more ... not so much???

If your not willing to ..."just grab his freaking lower jaw, squeeze,and hang on" and say "NO!" Use a "PC" and call it a day ... problem solved, a 3 second fix ... I would say??? :)
Hi Chip,
The biting/nipping is not aggressive but for a 7 1/2 month old boxer that weighs 50+ lbs it hurts. I believe a lot of the biting is to get attention from us. The egg is working right now just to get his attention to say NO and then he is calming down. When you put your hands on him in a physical way to try and make him do something that is a challenge and a game to him. He will start running wild all over the house because he thinks you are playing rough and he wants to get rough right back. The last couple of nights have been so much better just trying out some suggestions and keeping him calm when it's time for bed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just my little 2 cents.
Gypsy does the same thing and she is almost 2. We noticed that when she gets like that at night is when she has to go poo. Oddly enough she doesn't get like that during the day when she has to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would work with a trainer. if there are experienced in-home trainers in your area, it may be valuable for them to see how he reacts to strangers coming into his home if you think it may be an issue of being territorial/insecure about strangers coming into his home.

in the meantime, always always leash if in doubt. muzzle if you think there may be even the slightest possibility it is needed. good luck :)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts