Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
It's been a while since I posted but I'm in desperate need of help! Gladstone is at the 8 month mark and I'm struggling with him on our walks the last two-three weeks. He goes through these bursts of energy on our walks and he turns into a psycho, zooming on his leash from one end to the other, basically clothes lining himself or jumping on me and trying to rough play. He's getting bigger and stronger and I'm having a hard time getting it under control. When he's acting up, I just stop moving. If he's jumping on me, I try and turn my back to him and he just jumps and claws at my back, eventually he figures out he's not getting a reaction and stops and sits, but I won't lie, it kind of hurts a bit when he's jumping at my back. I've also tried to take different routes because I thought maybe a change of scenery would help, it didn't change anything.

I currently use a Kong 6 ft leash with a ruff wear harness (clipping it on the back). We don't clip his leash to his collar because he pulls too much and chokes himself and we get too nervous, especially if it's hot out. We go on four (0.87 mile) walks a day and almost every morning we go and visit his Visla friend "Dude" and they play and run for at least an hour. So I don't know if it's that he just needs to burn more energy or if I need to do something different? Or is that he's not neutered yet and he's going to continue to be a crazy man till the snip snip happens?

He's a really good boy at home and I would say he's a fairly good walker besides these weird bursts.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I'm sure Chip will chime in here, he has lots of links and ideas. I'd probably add some training in while you walk to make the walk more interesting and to make him think. This way your not trying to make him just stop a behavior but you are replacing it with something else. So if he starts pulling stop call him to you and go thru some sits, downs stays, look at me, etc. and have some high value treats. Then walk some more at a heel, do some crisis cross, figure eights, repeat and when he settles try again a nice slow sniffing walk. Mix it up. I'd also walk him on a pinch collar. Our dogs learned very quickly not to pull on the pinch collar, yes he yelped 1 or 2 times but without any correction from me he self taught that it was uncomfortable to pull. I honestly do not care all that much for harnesses, I'd like too but to me the back clips usually never help in pulling, think sled dogs and the front clips I feel impede their gait and rub more. That could just be my experience. But I'm old now and I can't afford to fall.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It sounds like your boy needs more exercise to me. One hour of playing is not enough I think its great you have a dog friend for him to run and play with though it does drain some of the energy off. Walking is great as well but it is not the energy drain that actual running and activity like that is. I don't like harnesses for training either you really have no control with them and there is no correction value to them either. You could try a martingale collar so at least you could correct him when he starts acting crazy. I would see about increasing his play date some if you can but be careful with too much crazy because their knees are prone to injury so be careful. These dogs thrive on activity particularly when they are young they do settle down some when they turn 3 so there is that. They do love interaction with their owners training and just being social with their owners. Boxers are never going to be that dog that just lays around on a bed all day doing nothing. Make sure when you are working with him to praise him for the things he is doing right and don't always be negative people often get caught up in the correction or NO thing or Your Bad! instead of "good boy" when he does the right thing so you have some work to do!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lindar and Luvmiboxers! I did go out today and got a Martingale collar and did our first walk with it about an hour ago and that definitely did help, I felt a little bad because he did pull and realized it didn't feel good. He did zoom like once but not nearly like it has been. I think part of me needs to realize he's not quite the sensitive baby I think he is, because he does have narrow nostrils and needs nasal fold resection (vet doesn't want to do it till we neuter him). I constantly am worried he's going to over heat, that I'm exercising him too hard because soo many people have scared me that I'm going to ruin his joint by running him young or kill him because he can't breathe. My husband orignally wanted to start running him, but I thought it was bad idea because of his joints and nose.

We were doing more playdates up till about two weeks ago because it has been crazy hot in Minnesota like mid-80's to 90's. So Dude's mom and I decided to decrease our play dates during the heat wave because Dude is a puppy too and we were worried about the dogs because they will legit play non-stop for hours! Since the heat wave, I have felt bad for him because I know that he's not getting to express a lot of that energy so we do play in the house and I invested in some yummy bones for him to keep him entertained and I sit in the living room and work so he can be near me.

I think you're probably right though, he just needs to burn more energy. Guess we'll be picking up the pace more on our walks and turning it into a jog.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We have been dealing with the heat here too my dogs and I hate it! Its hard on short muzzled dogs to process the heat so we get out at sunrise to do most of out exercise and outside activities. Over heating is a real concern for Boxers it can happen so you are doing the right thing by limiting his play in the high heat. I am sure he will settle down as he gets older he is just a puppy in his mind so things are pretty exciting for him right now and he is a healthy boy too. I hope you continue to make progress with his training it just takes some time!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
OK, first you do have a real mess on your hands. You've dug yourself into a pretty deep hole and the first step is to stop digging. :)

He pretty much., seems mostly able to do whatever he wants without the least need to get a grip, as it were. And no getting him "fixed," for this won't change a thing. That's usually the first resort of the desperate. You can fix him now if you like, but it will change none of this behaviour. And for the most part a lot of experienced/responsible owner's, don't get there dog's fixed for a year or more. Working Dogs are not fixed at all. Not being fixed is not your problem a lack of "Consequences for poor behaviour," and the use of the wrong tool's to teach him, how to "Walk Properly on a Structured Walk," are.

The jumping need's to stop. As I see it, that is job one for you. Right now, your dog does pretty much whatever he wants, cuz you know, what are you gonna do? There are lots of ways' to address jumping. Most of which involve using a "Real Tool." And those "tool's," would be a "Regular Collar," and a 6 foot leash. When/if the dog goes to jump on you, you step on the leash and tell him no or down! That is it, it sends a "Consequence," for bad bad behaviour." It's not what do I, but it is effective.

I prefer (for jumping) direct consequence for bad behaviour. I am not a "Pro," but I help people if they want and I work with "Rescues" and some of the dog's are Jumper's. I use the "Knee Technique." If the jump up? I lift my knee and hold it there, when they come down, they bang of my knee and it knocks' them off balance, kinda like WTH? It delivery's a "Direct Consequence," for bad behaviour and I never need to say a word. But it's not an easily "transferable skill?" So they don't jump on me but other people can still be fair game.

So plan B, which can deliver a consequence for bad behaviour (which is something, your dog does not understand,) just saying, Use a "Pet Convincer," :

Personally I thought it was a joke? But some of the "Pro's," I follow online, Jeff Gellman of Solid K9 Training and Sean O'shea of The Good Dog.

Started to use it and recommend it to there, client's that were struggling with "Prong Collar corrections." The PC delivers' a direct consequence for bad behaviour and right now your dog, does not know that is a thing? So just to start, use a PC and the Jumping Crap, will come to quick halt!

Oh and while I don't wanna go on and on with the "more," and "exercise cures all bit? That "never work's!" Now maybe with a "Pug," or an "English Bulldog," it could ? But short of those that approach is a fail?

Your dog right now gets more than enough "exercise." I mean add more sure if you chose ... but you will, Fail! The whole point of "exercise," is to increase the body's ability to do work. What that mean's, is no matter how much you choose to run him? After a short nap him be able to be a "Tool," for indoors even longer!

More exercise by the owner does not work for GSD's owner, that run there dog's 13 miles a day for weeks. I doubt anything less would have much impact on a Boxer? Teaching a Dog to chill, is a skill and one that can be learned.

But frankly as long as you insist (if you do) on a harness and a leash? No one can help you. That has to change first and then you have a chance. Let me know.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, first you do have a real mess on your hands. You've dug yourself into a pretty deep hole and the first step is to stop digging. :)

He pretty much., seems mostly able to do whatever he wants without the least need to get a grip, as it were. And no getting him "fixed," for this won't change a thing. That's usually the first resort of the desperate. You can fix him now if you like, but it will change none of this behaviour. And for the most part a lot of experienced/responsible owner's, don't get there dog's fixed for a year or more. Working Dogs are not fixed at all. Not being fixed is not your problem a lack of "Consequences for poor behaviour," and the use of the wrong tool's to teach him, how to "Walk Properly on a Structured Walk," are.

The jumping need's to stop. As I see it, that is job one for you. Right now, your dog does pretty much whatever he wants, cuz you know, what are you gonna do? There are lots of ways' to address jumping. Most of which involve using a "Real Tool." And those "tool's," would be a "Regular Collar," and a 6 foot leash. When/if the dog goes to jump on you, you step on the leash and tell him no or down! That is it, it sends a "Consequence," for bad bad behaviour." It's not what do I, but it is effective.

I prefer (for jumping) direct consequence for bad behaviour. I am not a "Pro," but I help people if they want and I work with "Rescues" and some of the dog's are Jumper's. I use the "Knee Technique." If the jump up? I lift my knee and hold it there, when they come down, they bang of my knee and it knocks' them off balance, kinda like WTH? It delivery's a "Direct Consequence," for bad behaviour and I never need to say a word. But it's not an easily "transferable skill?" So they don't jump on me but other people can still be fair game.

So plan B, which can deliver a consequence for bad behaviour (which is something, your dog does not understand,) just saying, Use a "Pet Convincer," :

Personally I thought it was a joke? But some of the "Pro's," I follow online, Jeff Gellman of Solid K9 Training and Sean O'shea of The Good Dog.

Started to use it and recommend it to there, client's that were struggling with "Prong Collar corrections." The PC delivers' a direct consequence for bad behaviour and right now your dog, does not know that is a thing? So just to start, use a PC and the Jumping Crap, will come to quick halt!

Oh and while I don't wanna go on and on with the "more," and "exercise cures all bit? That "never work's!" Now maybe with a "Pug," or an "English Bulldog," it could ? But short of those that approach is a fail?

Your dog right now gets more than enough "exercise." I mean add more sure if you chose ... but you will, Fail! The whole point of "exercise," is to increase the body's ability to do work. What that mean's, is no matter how much you choose to run him? After a short nap him be able to be a "Tool," for indoors even longer!

More exercise by the owner does not work for GSD's owner, that run there dog's 13 miles a day for weeks. I doubt anything less would have much impact on a Boxer? Teaching a Dog to chill, is a skill and one that can be learned.

But frankly as long as you insist (if you do) on a harness and a leash? No one can help you. That has to change first and then you have a chance. Let me know.:)
Thanks Chip! You’re totally right, the dog definitely had my number. We ditched the harness real fast after I originally posted this and switched to martingale collar, even that wasn’t without struggle to be honest. Things got really bad, to the point where I was crying real tears because I just felt like a terrible dog mom and feeling like I was taking a beating every time I tried to walk him. I was frustrated at my husband too, because I spend almost all day with Gladstone and he’s such a turd to me on walks, but when the hubby comes home Gladstone gives him his best behavior. In the house he’s a snuggly puppy and just wants to by me all the time. Outside it was like a completely different dog.

Things are improving, I wouldn’t say they are perfect but I’m definitely trying and seeing some results. Strangely the past two weeks have been really good and I have no clue what changed. We got the martingale collar and it helped a little but not enough. I would do the knee thing you recommended but the problem with Gladstone is he usually is jumping either on my side or if I have my back on him, he will claw the crap out of my back. So I don’t know if putting a knee up, would matter at all? Do you recommend prong collars? He’s 60 lbs of pure muscle, I was at the pet store and almost bought one but some guy shamed me out of getting one.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Don't let anyone shame you for trying to get your dog under control! Your safety and the dogs are the most important things here. Your dog is very young and he will learn his leash lessons but it is going to take time. How much exercise does he get? Sounds like he needs to burn off some energy, its easier to get a dog to listen if they are not all wound up Boxers have a lot of energy to burn. Chances are the person who shamed you was very ignorant of dog behavior and training.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Thanks Chip! You’re totally right, the dog definitely had my number. We ditched the harness real fast after I originally posted this and switched to martingale collar, even that wasn’t without struggle to be honest. Things got really bad, to the point where I was crying real tears because I just felt like a terrible dog mom and feeling like I was taking a beating every time I tried to walk him. I was frustrated at my husband too, because I spend almost all day with Gladstone and he’s such a turd to me on walks, but when the hubby comes home Gladstone gives him his best behavior. In the house he’s a snuggly puppy and just wants to by me all the time. Outside it was like a completely different dog.

Things are improving, I wouldn’t say they are perfect but I’m definitely trying and seeing some results. Strangely the past two weeks have been really good and I have no clue what changed. We got the martingale collar and it helped a little but not enough. I would do the knee thing you recommended but the problem with Gladstone is he usually is jumping either on my side or if I have my back on him, he will claw the crap out of my back. So I don’t know if putting a knee up, would matter at all? Do you recommend prong collars? He’s 60 lbs of pure muscle, I was at the pet store and almost bought one but some guy shamed me out of getting one.
OK prong collar and will call it a pinch collar, d on't let anyone shame you. They actually cause less discomfort, when used correctly than a plain ol flat collar. I like the herm sprenger brand, the cheap brands do not always have rounded prongs and can be a bit irregularly edged. But there are a few out there that are good. Google the use. I've used them on my dogs for over 30 years. Google fitting the prong collar properly. It is worn basically behind the ears, with maybe two fingers fitted under it. I've really not had to do any correction with it, as when the dog pulls it tightens and he may even yelp the first 1 or 2 times you use it, but frankly after that initial usage my dogs have never pulled when that collar is on. I also usually use a carabiner clip with it attached to a regular collar as a safety if any of the links come loose, but I haven't had that happen with the sprenger. You will see when you google it. I've had dogs that would be willing to almost hang themsves with a slip chain, or flat collar and they can damage their trachea . With proper use it just hasn't occurred for me with the prong collar.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't let anyone shame you for trying to get your dog under control! Your safety and the dogs are the most important things here. Your dog is very young and he will learn his leash lessons but it is going to take time. How much exercise does he get? Sounds like he needs to burn off some energy, its easier to get a dog to listen if they are not all wound up Boxers have a lot of energy to burn. Chances are the person who shamed you was very ignorant of dog behavior and training.
We are doing a at least an hour of running in the morning where I take him to a baseball field and we play fetch. If we get there early enough sometimes it’s two hours where I keep throwing the ball till he’s not interested anymore. I was trying to actually leash run him like you had suggested earlier but when I tried leash running with him he just wanted to “rough play” and jump on me. We couldn’t go even three feet without him going mental. We were doing play dates with my friends dog every day but all they did was rough house, so we thought maybe taking a break from that would help reign him in a bit, now he only sees Dude like once a week. So now it’s just focused fetch time of him running in the morning instead. Then we are doing a 1-2 mile walk at around noon-ish to 2pm (sort of just depends on my work schedule and how hot it is), another 2 mile walk around 5pm-6pm. Sometimes if he’s being a goon, we go to the field again after dinner and play fetch or just burn off energy with his jolly ball. Then around 9pm-10pm we do another mile walk before bed. I legit feel like most of our evenings are spent trying to wear the dog out. People ask what my hobbies are and I’m like “I honestly do not know, I think I spend most of it with my dog” lol
His behavior feels super inconsistent and it’s hard to nail down what’s causing him to turn into a monster. We’ll go days of him being perfect and then out of the blue he just turns into a turd.

On the bright side of all this, I’ve lost 20lbs since getting Gladstone. LOL 😂

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Uh Oh If I gave the impression that I run with my dog(s) on a leash, I misspoke?
I walk, my dog run's off leash. And with Bella (my Boxer/Pit), Isolated terrain, with natural barriers. Unlike my "other dog's," Bella is not allowed way, off leash in the open desert. If she saw a Bunny out there, she'd be gone! Bella is "not," my Struddell (Avatar.)

And the "Prong," Collar? I posted this info in another thread. And I think it pretty well sum's up all the basics?

Well that did not work? So see post 17 here.

The video clips in that post (17) pretty much detail, what you need to know to "Properly," fit and adjust correctly a "Prong Collar." It has to fit High and Snug. And it "Clips on and off." If you can just slide, the "Prong Collar," over the dog's head, It's to loose.

And you need to use a Carbineer (D Link) to attach the dead link of the "Prong Collar," to your dog's regular collar. Prong Collar's can "pop off!" The link from Sean should explain this (detail.) Tylor Muto has a clip on the D link also but I could not find it.

And I would doubt that the person you spoke to at the "Pet Store," had any idea of how to use a "Prong Collar?" It's much easier to spread misinformation than it is to actually learn and understand, what one is talking about. :)

One last thing on the "walk part," now most likely a "Prong Collar," will be your best option, as it is likely a few "Self Correction's," will get his mind straight?

But since you have one? Let's talk about The Martingale Collar. I am of the opinion (well I was) that a Martingale Collar is mostly to keep slippery headed dog's from backing out and chucking there collar at will.

I had a Boxer/Pit puppy that used to luv doing that crap at will? Now he did not leave my side but it was "annoying."

But the Martingale as a "Training Collar?" Well, yeah it can work like a "limited Slip Lead Leash, that is easier to position or a Prong Collar that is easier to put on? I would say it's not quite as effective as either of the other two. But positioned properly ... it can work.

You don't want him to be constantly pulling forward on a MC. But if you position it high and snug. It should constrict just enough that he won't want to pull?

And to start to teach him not to pull, start like this.:

And in that clip, Tylor is using a SLL and in this one he is not:

But in both cases the goal is for the dog to yield and not pull. Now I don't know if your just putting a Collar on him and just trying to walk, straight away? That is what it seems like, but I don't know?

But start trying at least the first SLL, (the first clip here) every day or every other day for a week or two and see what happens? I think 20 minuets of training and a bit less running will balance out fine.

And yeah I saw the jumping and the Knee thing, bit not working out? But that is another topic. For another post. Hang in there. :)

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
You can often get your dog over aroused by over exercising it and it should also learn to relax and you can do mental games with him too. This is actually a pretty good article.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you @chip18 and @Lindar51! These were both amazing and helpful links and tools that I can apply. @chip18: I’m definitely going to spend 20 mins a day working on the yield follow steps. Gladstone doesn’t not yield to me or follow at this time.

@Lindar51 It’s so counterintuitive what we’ve been trained to do with our dog, but I honestly feel like it might be the situation we are in. Often times when he’s being a poop head we say “He has tons of energy, let’s take him for a walk” and he just has tons of energy all the time. So I feel like I’m spending almost all my free time trying to wear my dog out, which obviously I may not be helping him because he’s not learning to be calm and just hang out as a member of the house.

So helpful, thank you both!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Thank you @chip18 and @Lindar51! These were both amazing and helpful links and tools that I can apply. @chip18: I’m definitely going to spend 20 mins a day working on the yield follow steps. Gladstone doesn’t not yield to me or follow at this time.
Lindar, is off course correct about how you are preceding. And it is a ... "Good Article," but right now "Understanding How to Train an Off switch," is slightly beyond your scope?

I did not mention it because I believe, I understand why you are doing what your currently doing? Constant failure "sucks!" So it's much easier to just go with what work's and "avoid the pain of failure." And "Training an Off Switch," was it with me and sigh, (my formerly) Human Aggressive Working Line GSD.

If crap went "slideway's," I would not have time to tell him, "Go to your Place and Relax?" But I would have time to point down and say "Place!" That is an "Off Switch." That is an "Off Switch," and "Place," means (technically) you stay here/there and chill, the Heck Out, until I tell you to move! Under strict interpretation that could be for up to hour's. And "Place," is not a "Stay." Under Place the Dog can reposition but he can't move from that "Spot." Stay means you "Freeze," in position and don't move!

Now as it happens, if you dig into the "Work," of both those trainer's I linked. You will find that they both "Train and Do, "Place in there Work." Sean has an "Article on what your doing here." :

And Tylor Muto as well as other's has clip's on training "Place," but there is also another less well known "Technique," for "Training Calmness into a Dog."

And just so you know ... there is no question that you can ask, that those guy's have not already answered. Based on my own personnel experience with my problem dog ... I can tell who is full of crap and who is not? And in my opinion the "trainers," that can help with "serious issues." Are trainers that deal with "Dog Aggression." They have to understand dog's or they can't help them. And those type of "Trainer's," are the only ones I tend to recommend.

I actually have a thread covering this "topic." But before proceeding to other stuff. You have to "start," with the "Basics," and Step One, is being able to Walk your dog! And that is so far is your issue? So another back on topic directly post to follow. :)

·
Registered
4,208 Posts

@Lindar51 It’s so counterintuitive what we’ve been trained to do with our dog, but I honestly feel like it might be the situation we are in. Often times when he’s being a poop head we say “He has tons of energy, let’s take him for a walk” and he just has tons of energy all the time. So I feel like I’m spending almost all my free time trying to wear my dog out, which obviously I may not be helping him because he’s not learning to be calm and just hang out as a member of the house.

So helpful, thank you both!
I think all in all you will find a happy medium. I think doing some mind games with him may help too. Growing up with dogs I use to think well get a puppy walk it 2x a day and feed it, teach it to sit and heel was enough but after years I learned that often doesn't work if you want a well rounded good mannered dog. After 40 years I am still learning. Here are some games you can try too 20 Easy Ways to Exercise Your Dog at Home - Shaped by Dog with Susan Garrett

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
How rough is he being with Dude? Is it aggressive or just hyper? Just was wondering. I know its hard to believe but he will settle down he is still very young. There are some mind games you can play with him there are dog puzzles where you put a treat in and close the caps (my dogs figured this out in 2 minutes) and you can work with him inside the house like talk to him, about anything tell him when he is a good boy. Don't overdo the training they get bored with this and tune you out so when he does something right let it be. You are doing tons of exercise with him so this should drain him down. All this time on the leash will pay off I promise you. Once you get thru this phase things will be great.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hmm Ok, well I am gonna go back to the topic at hand. As the question at hand is not really "exercise or walking?" If you want to have a dog that you can "depend," to follow direction's "reliably?" You have to do both! Not one or the other, my best trained dog's were Rocky (WL GSD) Molly (Rescue Queensland Header) that I should have kept ... but I let her go. :( And of course my Bunny chasing avatar Struddell.

The two girl's anyone could walk, without issue. And in theory my GSD also and it would be w/o a leash for him. But he did have uh people issues ... so yeah. But I have input on Exercise and no limited walking with my current girl "Bella (boxer/pit.)" She was/is more balanced towards "exercise," over walking. And let's just say ... the result's are not the same. But she does do great in the big city (Carson City) on leash but that only happens once or twice a month ... not quite enough apparently?

But back on point and I am gonna start here. :

And I am gonna say ... that is "How it is done!" That is "exactly how it is done. That is how I started with my Struddell and while Tylor Muto "Happens," to be using a SLL, it does not matter. I did the exact same thing with Struddell, decades ago and I used a "Regular Collar and a Flat Leash." At the time I did not know what a "British Slip Lead, was? I just did not let her "pull," so it did not matter.

It was as "simple," as that. If one understands that clip, then one does not need to hassle with a "Prong Collar?" Though I will grant a "Prong Collar," properly used would make the "Process," quicker? But using that "tool," properly is an "extra step." And I don't think the OP needs it?

I would try my best to understand what Tylor is doing and saying and give "just that," say a "week," and then see where you are.

And another tip, Tylor is talking constantly here, because he is narrating. In the real world you would say "Nothing!" Keep your mouth shut! The occasional "Good Boy," or Sit is fine (Good Boy, if he is?) But other than that say "Nothing," keep your mouth shut and let the "Dog," figure it out? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How rough is he being with Dude? Is it aggressive or just hyper? Just was wondering. I know its hard to believe but he will settle down he is still very young. There are some mind games you can play with him there are dog puzzles where you put a treat in and close the caps (my dogs figured this out in 2 minutes) and you can work with him inside the house like talk to him, about anything tell him when he is a good boy. Don't overdo the training they get bored with this and tune you out so when he does something right let it be. You are doing tons of exercise with him so this should drain him down. All this time on the leash will pay off I promise you. Once you get thru this phase things will be great.
Originally they were just rough housing and wrestling but now they they are getting older, It’s mostly just one chasing the other who has the ball. Gladstone is a bit bigger than Dude now so he mows him over when he’s running and hasn’t quite figured out how to pump the breaks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm Ok, well I am gonna go back to the topic at hand. As the question at hand is not really "exercise or walking?" If you want to have a dog that you can "depend," to follow direction's "reliably?" You have to do both! Not one or the other, my best trained dog's were Rocky (WL GSD) Molly (Rescue Queensland Header) that I should have kept ... but I let her go. :( And of course my Bunny chasing avatar Struddell.

The two girl's anyone could walk, without issue. And in theory my GSD also and it would be w/o a leash for him. But he did have uh people issues ... so yeah. But I have input on Exercise and no limited walking with my current girl "Bella (boxer/pit.)" She was/is more balanced towards "exercise," over walking. And let's just say ... the result's are not the same. But she does do great in the big city (Carson City) on leash but that only happens once or twice a month ... not quite enough apparently?

But back on point and I am gonna start here. :

And I am gonna say ... that is "How it is done!" That is "exactly how it is done. That is how I started with my Struddell and while Tylor Muto "Happens," to be using a SLL, it does not matter. I did the exact same thing with Struddell, decades ago and I used a "Regular Collar and a Flat Leash." At the time I did not know what a "British Slip Lead, was? I just did not let her "pull," so it did not matter.

It was as "simple," as that. If one understands that clip, then one does not need to hassle with a "Prong Collar?" Though I will grant a "Prong Collar," properly used would make the "Process," quicker? But using that "tool," properly is an "extra step." And I don't think the OP needs it?

I would try my best to understand what Tylor is doing and saying and give "just that," say a "week," and then see where you are.

And another tip, Tylor is talking constantly here, because he is narrating. In the real world you would say "Nothing!" Keep your mouth shut! The occasional "Good Boy," or Sit is fine (Good Boy, if he is?) But other than that say "Nothing," keep your mouth shut and let the "Dog," figure it out? :)
Yes, we are totally working on the yield to and follow me steps. I haven’t gotten the prong collar yet but we are just working on these steps and it’s slow process but we are working on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts