Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
What part of the country are you in, the nearest large city? There may be "Trainer's," near you that work with "Dog's," with uh "Issues?" Not saying that is what you have but generally speaking ... "Trainers," that work with "Aggression," type cases. Also tend to do "Group Seminars and Stuff," for regular folks.

A Group session given by a "Real Trainer," that instructs there students on the "Proper Use of a Prong Collar," could get you at least 90 percent of where you need to be in a Day or Two.

And this would need to be a "Group Session," given by "Real Trainer's," not some "ASPCA, or Gentle Paws," uh crap! I saw some of the "ASPCA's," dogs way back when I was working with "Boxer's and Buddies," (with a serious (claimed to be puller) I might add. And I was not impressed with there "work product."

The "Boxer," I had under my charge, they would have "Destroyed!" A puller and a Fear of People Boxer?" Tic Tack Toe, it went great even with a day full of thousands of people and other dog's? Sigh I expected to work with him the next weekend, but much to my surprise one week after I had worked with him ... he was Adopted? I hope he had a "Good Life," cuz I think ... I wanted him. :)

Anyway I am not, saying you can't do this? But on GermanshepardForum, I was "often," the bad guy. Cuz I would always, tell "Folk's you can do it."

But yeah in that world, your talking possible Lawsuit's and personnel injury. And well, LOL I never got suited but ... I did get stiches. :(

Nonetheless "GDS," are/can be great dog's! I just don't recommend them ... that ticked them off also. Anyway ... I am "not," saying you can't do this on your own? And "we," won't stop trying to help. But "find a Trainer," is also a viable Plan B, just saying. :)

You really need to be able to use a "leash," without a lot of hassle in order to be able to train anything? Just throwing that out there.

And the trainer's and seminar thing? Jeff Gellman is one of them. :

Now he is one of them and I do see he is gonna be in Las Vegas? But for me ... my "Bella," is not so bad that I feel the need to drive 500 miles for her? She is my second Boxer/Pit and while she is certainly not a Struddell (my Boxer) or most certainly not a Rocky (Wl GSD). She is not a big enough PIA that I feel the need for help? Although she is the first dog that has "embarrassed me on several occasions and impressed me on others?

But she is also the first dog that I have not walked on a daily basis? I "chose exercise over walking," and she seems to be what I got? Now she does do great on a SLL when I walk her once or twice a month, in the Big City (Carson City) I can't really complain? But the different approach has made a difference in what I can expect at times ... it seems?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey everyone! I know it’s been awhile since I updated everyone on Gladstone’s progress. I am happy to say he’s doing very well. I took Lindar’s advice about over exercising and decreased our walks. He gets 1 hour of Fetch time in morning in the baseball field, one short walk at lunch and one regular walk after work and then added in Chips training. Before he was getting sometimes 4-6 walks a day. It made such a big difference, I honestly think he’s a lazy dog and maybe that’s why he was getting flustered? He’s the happiest when he’s sitting on his reclining chair sun bathing and acting like a cat. Anyway, He’s not being monster on our walks anymore and he’s getting really good at paying attention to us while on walks, crazy man incidents have decreased exponentially. Although I did have to travel for work for two weeks and just came back Friday and my hubby said that Gladstone tried to do the jumping and aggressive bit on him for the first time, kind of think Hubby might have over walked him but he would never admit if he did. When I came home, he tried to bite at my shoe but I just went back to the basics, and he seems to be remembering again. Don’t get me wrong He’s not perfect on walks and when bunnies or squirrels are present he breaks attention, he won’t chase them but definitely pulls his leash to full extent and every fiber of his being wants to chase them. But he’s definitely more calm and even the neighbors are starting to love him, 2 of them went out and invested in treats for him when they see him and he loves it.
Window Dog Property Furniture Couch

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
LOL, well first congratulations and it seems like you have made a "LOT," of progress! And sure you could "now," describe him as lazy indoors? I would not, I train my dog's inside behavior to be just like that. When dog's know how to "Chill the He!!, out they are easy to live with in the "Real World." If you work at home for one, you don't need to send your dog to "Doggy Day Care or somewhere else," so you can get work done at home (as one example.)

But pick up your key's or purse or for me strap on my Fanny Pack (yeah I still use one.:)) And bam they go from asleep to raring to go ... somewhere? And if you want to go for a 5 mile run at Midnight ... he'll be ready to rock at the drop of a hat! People have paid Dog Trainers big buck's, just for what your dog can do now.

And don't harp on your hubby. You already did all the heavy lifting and the dog knew what was expected. Walking is not really exercise but it is "extremely important," for Bonding. If that is all it took to keep him happy now? Don't worry about it. :) The bunny, squirrel issue? He is not bad as such. And as long as he is on leash ... it's not a big deal. But "Crap Happens," and say if the leash were dropped? It sounds like he would be gone? That could be an issue? But Bunnys and Squirrel's are generally speaking kind of random?

Your dealing with "High Prey Drive," and unless you live in "Bunny/Squirrel Alley?" That is a different category of training. Cuz it's more of a "Proofing thing?" And it is more than likely a "random occurrence kind of thing?" Random occurrences are kind of hard to proof? Because you don't know when they will happen?

But your dog's "behavior," on leash ... you can control., and most likely you will only get brief random moments to try this but ... "what you want," is for him to be calm, and still aware of you!

Well a "Bunny or Squirrel, whatever ... no big deal? But bad vibes being "No Big Deal?" Depends on where you live and you know what the "Prey Is?" How about the random occurrence of "Wild Mustang's?" Now most likely that is mostly a Northern NV kind thing? But they are here and they are in our neighborhoods and can be in our front yards on occasions, like well today. :)

So out here you can be on a walk and stumble across a herd? And if your on foot with your dog, you don't want your dog giving that "Prey Animal," LOL, any grief! They (The Wild Mustangs) are used to cars and people and if you move slow and cross the street they leave you alone. If you have your dog with you ... you want them to hear "nothing" from your dog! If the dog's does not make a sound or of course no kind of crazy move? They don't care? Usually they barley even bother to look your way ... that you would notice. :)

The only time I was really concerned about them was on walk with my Rocky a "Big Working Line GSD (Pure Black.) Walking to the store and we stumbled on a "Herd, of Horses," about 20 or so in a field on the way to the store? And it was to late to turn around and yeah your are not gonna out run a "Wild Mustang?"

So you know be calm and keep moving, we were at a safe distance (relatively speaking) and Rocky never made a sound or any sudden movement's! But the big Black Mare, did not like the look of "Rocky," at all! I imagine he was thinking is that a "Black Wolf ...over there?" And he watched us like a Hawk! Rocky never gave him cause for concern and we moved swiftly out there without issue but it was exciting! And my Bella (Sigh) well with the Horses she is just as good. And while she is a bit of a "Ding Bat," she does get an A with the horses. No barks or such at the Horses when we happen to see them. The horses generally speaking aren't scared of dog's.

As they will kick the crap out of them if need be? But they would rather not. Just don't be a tool (the horses say) and we won't have a problem. :) I did think the same behavior applied to "Deer?" But apprently not? Deer tend to be nervous and skittish? They are not calm and if you stumble on them ... they just want to get the heck out of there!

Bella and I stumbled across one behind a large shrub in a back yard with no fence in Carson City. It was about 10 feet away and just froze(happend to be on leash and so she could not move, cuz I had the leash at the time! But aside from that fact. Bella would have been gone!

Now had that happened with Rocky, my GSD we could have just steeped back ... slowly and let the deer be. As he specialized in being calm,(Rocky) ie if it's not a threat to me or Dad, I don't really care. But Bella was "Checked out from me?" Now what would have worked, would have been a quick "Pop" on the head with the lose end of the leash!" But if I moved the Deer, would be gone! Sigh ... it did not matter. Bella was just full of bad vibes and she (never barked) or made a sound but she did move! And that was it the Deer was gone!

I saw it a sec later way, way way away ... and thank God I had the leash at the time! Cuz if she were lose, she'd have been flat gone! Just saying wild life encounters are kind of hard to train for? But you should at least take every opportunity to try? Cesar Malians "Heel Tap," would also be a good option? The Dog goes into the "Red Zone," and you want to break there focus.

But the best place to "Pratice," focus on me? Is outside a fenced in "Dog Park!" That is a safe "Practice Zone," although the owners inside the "Park," would most likely think your just being an A-Hole?

Sigh it's just stuff I know. As I have not done it myself? Bella, really gets away with alot of crap behaviour ... really? Rocky my GSD was (could be a threat to people) so I had to be on Guard all the time! With "Bella," my Boxer/Pit ... not so much? So I have gotten Lazy, with her? But it is nice to have a dog "again," that you don't have to constantly worry about mauling someone. :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts