Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a "Cropped or Un-Cropped" survey (which heavily favors un-cropped on responses), and most Boxer owners here have uncropped... The forum poll was only "cropped or uncropped", but I was just wondering...

For the majority with un-cropped Boxers, is your Boxer uncropped because (choose all/any that apply):

A) Actually prefer uncropped look over cropped look (never interested)

B) Costs too much $$$ to crop

C) It's illegal where I'm at (for those non-Americans)

D) Got my Boxer too-late (old) to crop

E) Worried about pain/discomfort to my Boxer

F) Worried the crop wouldn't turn-out good (bad crop)

G) Didn't want to deal with taping and/or after-care

H) Couldn't find a trustworthy vet to do the crop in my area

I) Crop... what's a crop?  You can do that with a Boxer? (never heard of cropping)

J) I wanted to crop, but couldn't/wouldn't because of some/one of the previous/above reasons

K) Whatd'ya mean uncropped?  Our boxer IS cropped!

Remember folks that answer... just list your reasons... for example: "D & J" would mean you wanted to crop, but your boxer was too old to do so, while an answer of "A" just means you never even considered it because you prefer the floppy look.

Not looking for a big mean debate, just curious why so many folks have uncropped boxers these days.  We met someone in Petsmart today while we had Odin and he was asking about his ears, and we mentioned most folks we knew had uncropped boxers, he seemed shocked and said he had never even seen an uncropped boxer... yet around here, Odin seems to be a distinct minority.  Just looking for a more detailed answer then "cropped or uncropped".

·
Registered
508 Posts
E G and A. i just like my Zeus floppy cause i think he is just the cutest thing ever and he likes for me to rub them when he falls asleep. I think when they are cropped for instance Odin, he is so cute with his cropped. I just cant see Zeus cropped, it just wouldnt fit his personality i think, if that means anything at all.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Great Question!  :)

A) Actually prefer uncropped look over cropped look (never interested)

E) Worried about pain/discomfort to my Boxer

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would have to say D.  Not sure I would if I had gotten her earlier but did with my Pit.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DieselsMom\";p=\"10342 said:

I know the feeling of "F"...

The first day Odin came home I was like "OMG, I 'ruined' my boxer's ears!"... of course, I had to reassure myself, they're not supposed to look perfect the day he comes home!

Now, he's a big sweetie, and the crop came out great!

But boy, was I nervous the first few days after the crop, until they started to heal-up and stand-up.  Now Odin is impressing the townsfolk and wooing the bitches in the neighborhood (I can say "bitches" on a dog forum, right?  :oops:  ).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A & F for me..I really do prefer the natural ears, but I'm not so gung ho that I condem anyone that gets them cropped..Odin's turned out soo lovely, how can you not like that? Samson's are a much shorter cut, which I detest, he doesn't look right..Angel's ears are thick, so the crop didn't totaly turn out right..Rhonda said, that was the first time she had that happen..Now she knows & won't crop if the ears are thick....So that's why I worry about a crop..I see soo many terrible ears, you just can't help but feel sorry for the poor babies...

·
Registered
780 Posts
It would be A for us.  We like the floppy look but did have our first boxer cropped (she was actually pit and boxer mix).  Her ears turned out like Samsons (she actually looked a little like him), short and thicker.   I remember the pain she was in when we had it done and really don't want to do that to any of our babies again.   Our second boxer was a rescue and we never even thought about it because she was too old when we got her.

I just don't see any real need to do it.  We have never had any problems with our dogs ears being uncropped with any infections, etc.  We were told that the ears being uncropped actually helps keep things out of the ears?

·
Registered
948 Posts
After we officially picked our puppy (the fawn girl instead of the brindle girl) we are deciding to not go that route..

And on top of that, I want her to look prissy...   :D

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hello! My answers C, couldn't become a pedigree if the ears were chopped. But my husband was a little disappointed, he likes cropped ears. I like both...
Odin's looking GREAT :D !

·
Registered
905 Posts
A, C and E.

I just don't agree with putting a dog through a surgical procedure for cosmetic reasons.

If I had my way, Tink and Hector wouldn't even have docked tails, but Hector's was already done when we got him, and Tink had the ring on and it had already cut through a lot of the tissue so it was too late to take it off.

·
Registered
977 Posts
and Tink had the ring on and it had already cut through a lot of the tissue so it was too late to take it off.
It seems there are different ways of tail docking. Voltaire's tail was cut with an extra flap of skin that must've been stitched down to give a rounded end and fur all over the remaining tail. My Brother-in-laws dog's tail is not such a good job - there's a bald tip and i've always thought they'd just cut it off straight - could've been a ring - as it was a BY breeder. I didn't even know rings existed as a tail docking method, you've enlightened me...
Also noticed that lengths of docked tails seem to differ. My vet thought Voltaire's was too long - though i think it's fine-he's not a Rotty. And i wouldn't re-operate anyway.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yep, practically all breeders in Ireland use a sheep ring to dock the tail.  It goes on the day they're born and the tail usually falls off a week or so later.  Imagine how freaky looking all the bits of tail lying around would look...  :puke:

Voltaire's stump looks fine to me!  Hector's is about that long, Tink's is slightly shorter.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would always dock the tail though, for safety/health reasons.  We have a friend who's boxer has a full tail, that thing is kinked from tip to base from being broken so much.  and have you ever seen how fast the nub moves when they are excited?  think of that with a full tail. :lol:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Toby has a full tail comparable to a boxers but he's 90lbs.. Boy does that baby hurt!! I'm surprised his isn't broken!

I like Vol's tail! That looks like the perfect length.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts