Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and we have just brought home a 14 month old Fawn Female. This is our first boxer and I'm going to be here in the next few weeks with many questions. She has mostly been in showing and does not have fantastic training so that is our first step.

My question is about cropped ears. Her ears have been cropped and one of them is kinda floppy. Left on its own, it will flop over the top of her head. The lady I bought her from was firm in saying that if I kept it taped, in the next 2-4 months, the cartlidge would firm up and both ears would be standing.

What is the feeling here? She advised me to keep using masking tape and just do a couple of wraps and it will eventually stay put.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. I'll be back often for help.

By the way:
Dog name is Mercedes, but we call her Sadie.
I'm Garen Thatcher. My wife and I have 3 kids in a surburban neighborhood home. Big fenced back yard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0MmsP-0aeg

Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel has one ear that kinda flops a wee bit..Looks kinda silly, but cute...Having never actually gone thru the crop, I'll let others give you some advice...Welcome to the forum  :) Read thru the puppy & training sections for a lot of great advice

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Kiahs ears are floppy too so I can't help but there are lots of posts about ear croppings.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from Salt Lake City.  I can't really give you advice on the ear crop question, but I'm guessing all you can do is try the taping and see if that will work.  She is older now and it may be harder to get them to stand - it's one of those things that you won't know until you try it.  Good luck and can't wait to see more pictures of her and hear all about her.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jinxxboxers\";p=\"48060 said:
Ears can take a long time to stand depending on the crop and the cartlidge.

I've had them stand in as little as 7 months and taken as long as 16 months.

Will she still be showing?
Hi, No... I don't think she will be. My 14 year old daughter says she would like to, but it would be just informally and for something fun to do, not seriously.  This is a pet dog and if the ear ended up being floppy, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. However, It does flop the wrong direction. If flops OVER the head and down the side. It does look really funny.

I guess I can only try. I'm really trying to figure out the possibility of success with her already being 14 months old.

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

Garen

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sadie is beautiful! I don't know anything about taping, but if she were my dog I would just leave her ears alone. They look great to me, and if she is not showing anymore, they will just give her more personality with a little flop!  :D

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
She's very pretty! I can't wait till Odin "bulk's up"! I don't know much about taping... we only had to tape Odin's ears once.... but I don't think they are as long as hers... either that or her cartlidge is just different. It's really up to you about taping... people tape their floppy eared babies if they aren't flopping over right... and since hers are suppose to stand I don't see why not. If it's something you have the time to do I say go for it. If it's not really and you don't plan on showing her than I'm with the whole "it gives her her own personality"!

She is definitely a "Queen of Hearts"... gorgeous!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You have nothing to lose in trying the tape to see.....It may work and it may not I have also seen then take longer to stand so it could certainly help.  I also have seen masking tape used because it does not stick to the ear and hair bad....I say give it a shot and see what happens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts