Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are cropped ears better or worse for a dog, or are they just cosmetic? I was just wondering if it hurts the dog to have this done to them and can a breeder force you to crop or not crop?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It's considered cosmetic surgery.  The dog is put to sleep for the procedure. but I'm sure they are uncomfortable for a few days afterwards.  The only reason I can think of for a breeder to require that you have the ears cropped is if they co-own the dog, or has a payment arrangement where the puppy wouldn't be paid for past the time ears can be done, or if it is agreed to by both buyer and seller in a written contract.  It's a personal choice whether or not to crop.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i agree with kate. It is a purely a cosmetic surgery that isnt better or worse for the dog itself. It is up to the owner of the pup. There is some pain and discomfort for the first few days after the surgery, but then it isnt too bad after that. As for the breeder i dont see why they would make it mandatory to crop the dog, especially if it is sold as  a pet. I have never heard of a breeder with this kind of requirement, but that doesnt mean there isnt one out there.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's definitely cosmetic, altho in a lot of countries, especially in Europe it is banned..My personal preference is natural ears, but that's just me..I've seen bad "cut jobs", Samson has one, his were done too short. A good crop looks awesome on a boxer, it gives them a very regal look which is part of the breed standard, but at the end of the day, it is your choice  :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree, it's all personal preference.  

My question is...is there is a certain age it has to be done by?  Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Michelle\";p=\"27765":3ahyl7w7]I agree, it's all personal preference.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There are some breeders who require cropped ears, especially for show prospects.

Ears should be cropped between 8-16 weeks - vets have their own preferences as to when the ideal time is; mine does them at 11-12 weeks.

You definitely want to (if you decide to crop) find an experienced ear-cropping vet; a skilled vet means very little discomfort for the pups (mine are up and running the same evening as if nothing had happened), and unskilled vet can mean days or even weeks of pain.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I need to make an update but Tango go his ears done at 13 weeks old.  The vet told me that was later than he would of liked but due to the good ear cartilage he did the procedure.  Tango looks great and with the right pain medication he didn't act as if there was any discomfort.  He didn't even scratch at his ears except a few times.  

The best part is that after two weeks he had his stiches out and his ears stood well on their own.  The left ear was perfect but the right ear had to be retaped.  

Compared to some of the horror stories of the months and months of taping I feel great that he is doing so well.

Like people have said above it is cosmetic but for some reason he just seems more alert than he was before.  It does give them a very regal look which I always loved in the boxer.  If you get the procedure done make sure you get an experienced vet.  Ask what kind of anesthetics they use and if they offer post pain medication.  Most vets will be honest if they feel comfortable doing crops and if they are good at it.  Just find the right vet and you will be alright.  

How old is your boxer?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am so glad it turned out well for Tango.  And I totally agree that boxers do look great with their ears cropped.  I can't wait to see pictures of him.  I'm sure he will be stunning!

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Bad ear crop??

Where??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts