Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this has come up a lot of the forum.. I'm the kind of person who can't take stuff in til its preached to them.. lol I don't know why. I'm bringing my girl home June 16th and I want to get her ears cropped.. I heard there were two different kinds. The german crop (short .. almost pitbull like) and the show crop (the real long ones). My aunt's boxer has the german crop and I really really like that look. Is it okay to get them done that way? I'm bringing her home at 8 weeks and I was going to get them done around 11 weeks so she's somewhat use to her new surroundings. Is the upkeep on them difficult and time consuming? Can they lead normal lives after they're done?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
of course they can lead normal lives lol I have no experience with ear crops but the show crops are alot more work to get to stand because they cut so much of the "bell" (cartilage sp?) off and they are pretty long! With the "pit" type crop or some people call it the pet crop is alot easier to get to stand because they leave more of the bell on and the ears are cut way shorter!!! 11 weeks is a good age to have ears cropped!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much does it average where everyone else lives?

I haven't called around anywhere yet.. But I will be tomorrow. I don't know if my vet does it or not... If they don't I'll be going somewhere else.. They all have pitbulls, so they would know the kind of look I want more so than a veterinarian I don't know.

lol and I meant normals lives like, right after its done, will she be allowed around my other dog and play outside and stuff? I don't want to keep her locked up in a crate...  :(

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Umm well I'm dealing with this right now. Look at the post called Odin's "New Look" You should see if you can get a referal to a vet that does ear crops well or just go around to the vets and ask to see their work... how long they've been doing it, etc. There are SEVERAL types of crops... for the boxer breed I think I can count three. I don't want to re-type everything I've posted in my post about how Odin's doing. If you look there it will mention a lot of what we are going through. Which really is nothing. He's doing great and we haven't had any problems... PLUS NO UP KEEP... yet! They said if they aren't standing on their own in a wk then we'll start taping them. We've never once taped them and they are standing PRETTY GOOD... just not the tips. Though I know I saw another post... this poor guy was having one problem after another. Oh and the vet also gave us calcium tablets to help his ears stand up...? I scanned the paper they gave us and posted it in my post if you want to breeze through it. Basically tells you about the surgery... during... and after care.

I love the cropped look though I know many love the floppy ears. Just prefernce as I'm sure everyone will say. I did feel bad the day I brought him home... poor baby's ears were cut-off! *grins* But that went away fast... I mean yea... you feel bad at first but it's not permanent pain... let alone pain for long. At least not for Odin. I don't think he ever hurt... just pretty druged up. I know it was itchy for him but that meant it was healing.

ALRIGHT... I'm gonna stop typing and umm just look over Odin's "New Look" ... GOOD LUCK... you'll have plenty of time to think about it... just like we did with Odin.

P.S.
 Some places have specific time frames they crop ears in. Like ours was 8-10 wks. But they made an exception for us because he was sick from eating something he shouldn't have and couldn't give him his shot... LONG STORY. Just check... cuz' there is a cut off date... which I think is 13 or 16 wks.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Oh yeah... and we found a boxer magazine and picked which crop we liked and gave it to the vet. Which they were just going to give us a book anyway so that we could pick what kind of crop we wanted. I wouldn't get the "pitbull" crop cuz' then she'll look like a pitbull to the average person. Of course the longer they are the more likely and longer it will take for you to tape them and stand up.

Ours was $195 and it covered the cost of everything including the ear tapings if we have to and the "Pet Cal" tablets... which is a little strange cuz' they originally told us $165... COULD HAVE SWORE that's what they said the first time.

We didn't lock Odin up at all. I was worried he'd throw a fit in his crate like he NORMALLY does and hurt his ears or pull out his sutures. We don't have other dogs though so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wouldn't call Odin's ears the Show or the Pit crop... rather, they are something in-between.  I've seen some Boxers with EXTREMELY long-tall ears... for lack of a better term, I call it "The Dane Cut" (because Great Danes seem to have ridicuosly tall ear crops).  Odin certainly doesn't have a pit crop (which often leads to confusion with others that think a boxer is a pitt, then you get in trouble with home associations sometimes if they have rules about certain breeds of dogs).

I like to call Odin's crop "the happy medium cut".  Not sure what-else to call it, but it's definately not as tall as some "show" crops, and it's not as short as the Pit crop.

I've often heard of the "military crop"... which while referanced several times, I can't ever seem to find a solid post to what-exactly the military crop is (though i'm certain it's not as tall as the "show" crop).  Maybe that's what we have... dunno.  We just told the vet "not too tall, and not too short", and showed him some pictures of Boxers with cropped ears that we liked and said "do that".

As for after-care... Odin came home pretty sore and shabby looking... they didn't tape for the first week, just suchers.  His ears were very tender for about 24-48 hours, then he was bouncing around like his normal self.  After a week, they took the suchers out, and he's looking pretty good now, and his ears don't bother him at all.  They said if his ears aren't standing up after the 2nd week after the crop, they'll tape 'em for us.  Not sure if we'll need it or not, they are almost all the way up now without a single day of taping.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally found someone 45 minutes away that will do it! I just wanted to schedule now so that I didn't want to worry about it when she gets here. She's going to be going in July 9th and come home July 10th... Is $245 a lot for a crop?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will she be able to go to obdience classes while its healing?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Cropping is a very personal choice. Whether you choose the "pit" crop or the "show" crop. Either way you crop you will have to do aftercare.
I personally like the floppy ears myself. However, the long show crop is very nice if done correctly. I don't like the pit crops at all. I don't think it does anything for a boxer at all, IMO. Like I said, It's all personal opinion.  :wink:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ours both have the medium cut and I think we paid $190 for ours.  Our aftercare was easy too.  Scout's stood immediately and Gunner's needed an additional week of taping after the turban came off.  Each vet has a different way to do it and pictures of what you want are greatly appreciated.  That way the vet can get the cut you want.  Make sure you bring one of both front and side head shots if you can.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like Scout's and Gunner's crops! Do you have pictures of them from different angles?? I like Odin's too! I just like everyone else's crops!  :lol: I'll love my little girl regardless!

The next puppy class at my local pet store is July 23rd and she's going to be going in July 9th to get them done.. Is that long enough?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Have a look at my Ancestors & Family topic. I think Plato has good ears. (He puts Voltaire's floppy look to shame....almost :wink: !)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Caillou ~ that is exactly what ours looks like from a side view.  I didn't have one to share with Kenya - only the front view.  That is the cut I prefer the most.  That's what I call a medium cut.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the pictures! I'm definitely going to be using them! I like Plato's crop too! Oh my goodness.. So many styles to choose from!  8O  How do you make a choice??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Flutterby\";p=\"8628 said:
I like Scout's and Gunner's crops! Do you have pictures of them from different angles?? I like Odin's too! I just like everyone else's crops!  :lol: I'll love my little girl regardless!

The next puppy class at my local pet store is July 23rd and she's going to be going in July 9th to get them done.. Is that long enough?
I think Odin's crop was between $165-$195, which includes after-care and taping (if need be).

Remember, Odin's ears are still in the "standing on their own" stage.  It's almost been two weeks since he was cropped, and his ears are almost standing up on their own without a single taping session (I'd call Odin's a medium cut).  Mastray or I can take some front and side pictures of Odin and post them here if you like.  I'm still at work, if Mastray hasn't done it by the time I get home, I'll do it in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay! Thank you! I want something in between Odin's and Scout/Gunner's... Not too long and definitely not a pit crop.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Wow!! Odin's ears look great!  :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts