Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old boxer puppy is crying in his crate at night all of sudden at night. He hasn’t cry in his crate since he was 8 weeks old. I’m not sure what to do but it’s becoming a constant crying at night. I leave him and don’t give into him. Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Maybe he is hungry or needs to go out maybe needs one more out before going to bed? Maybe cover the crate and make it dark in there. There is probably something he needs isn't always just for attention.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Is his crate bigger now that he is older? Do you have a divider in it that maybe needs adjusting? Does he have water accessible to him? He may be thirsty. There are many possibilities.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Ok, well the toughest way to "Fix," a problem is by addressing it head on?? Now that does work but "usually," no one is happy with the results ie dog or human??

So if you don't want to do that?? Sometimes you have to think "outside," the Box?? No pun intended. :)

That said try this and let us know how it work'?? :

I don't use Crate's myself but most likely "not," using one ... is a lot harder???

·
Super Moderator
7,084 Posts
Can you post a picture of your crate with your puppy in it. Where is it located? What time does he/she go to bed? Is your puppy only in the crate at night or are you also crating during the day?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He had upset stomach the night before but seem to be ok after that. He stop crying after a couple of days but continue up again. I didn’t get him and he eventually went to sleep. I’m not sure if he just having some moments or not .

Maybe he is hungry or needs to go out maybe needs one more out before going to bed? Maybe cover the crate and make it dark in there. There is probably something he needs isn't always just for attention.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got him the xl crate but had a divider in it but now that he’s older he’s growing and doesn’t use the divider any more . I usually stop given him water about an hour before bed time so he’s not needed to go in the middle of the night . So far he’s back to just going to sleep now with some winnying.

Is his crate bigger now that he is older? Do you have a divider in it that maybe needs adjusting? Does he have water accessible to him? He may be thirsty. There are many possibilities.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The crate is the den which not for from my bedroom . He’s only in there at night during the day he’s at dog day care. If I have to run earns I’ll put him in the crate and he seems to be fine. He calm down the last couple of nights. So not sure what it was.

Can you post a picture of your crate with your puppy in it. Where is it located? What time does he/she go to bed? Is your puppy only in the crate at night or are you also crating during the day?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks this was good information. He calm down after the next night so I’m not sure what it was or he was t feeling good. But he getting bigger and wondering when it be a good age to let him sleep in the room with me. He doesn’t do his business in the house or had any accidents.

Ok, well the toughest way to "Fix," a problem is by addressing it head on?? Now that does work but "usually," no one is happy with the results ie dog or human??

So if you don't want to do that?? Sometimes you have to think "outside," the Box?? No pun intended. :)

That said try this and let us know how it work'?? :

I don't use Crate's myself but most likely "not," using one ... is a lot harder???

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have always let my dogs sleep in bed with me even when they were puppies, I would know when they started squirming at night they had to go out so I would just get up and take them out this went right along with the housetraining. I did continue until they were about 6 month old crate them when I left the house but that was the only time they were in the crate. I have done this with all 6 of my Boxers and my dogs are well behaved and along with that I make sure they are exercised. This doesn't work for everyone but its worked well for me. I think if you decided to uncrate your dog at night there is no going back to crating at bedtime so be sure! Some people are very regimented in what they expect from their dogs and I am not. I stress the important things with them and obeying my commands are first on my list things like "place" and stuff like that I don't worry about. So it all depends on what you expect from your dog everyone should do what fits in their life the best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always let my dogs sleep in bed with me even when they were puppies, I would know when they started squirming at night they had to go out so I would just get up and take them out this went right along with the housetraining. I did continue until they were about 6 month old crate them when I left the house but that was the only time they were in the crate. I have done this with all 6 of my Boxers and my dogs are well behaved and along with that I make sure they are exercised. This doesn't work for everyone but its worked well for me. I think if you decided to uncrate your dog at night there is no going back to crating at bedtime so be sure! Some people are very regimented in what they expect from their dogs and I am not. I stress the important things with them and obeying my commands are first on my list things like "place" and stuff like that I don't worry about. So it all depends on what you expect from your dog everyone should do what fits in their life the best.
its pretty much house trained, of course when he gets super excited hes had an accident here or there but other then that hes really good about not going in the house. Hes a little over 5 months and i think about 6-7 month mark ill start letting him sleep with me or my son. He goes to doggy daycare most of the week so hes already tired when he gets home with little energy left just play what he can. Ill tell him go to his place and goes to his bed in the living room, i tell him night night and he slowly walks to his crate with puppy sad eyes 🤦‍♀️which doesnt work with me. Thanks for the adivce, esp with the fact that you've had 6 boxers. This is my first one, granted Ive had other big dogs but each breed is different

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Ok, while I did give a "thumb's up," for how you feel about the Crate. I can't say Yay or Nay to if , he "does not need to be crated , anymore?

The "Best Advise," is to "Crate Your Dog." And the "Pro's," advise doing that for two year's?? Crating your dgog helps to establish rules and structure and it help's to keep them safe (from doing stupid crap) if you have to leave them home alone! And the best way to mess up ... "who is charge, is by letting the dog "Sleep," with you!

So that is in essence where the "Crate Your Dog," bit comes from. And I won't "dispute it." But t is not what I do! My puppy's and dog's have always slept with me out the gate. And that is not about them, it is more about me!

My latest example is my Bella, a one year old Pit/Boxer Mix. She had lived with four different families in one year before I got her and had always been crated! And she got passed from family to family within that time. The last family member's that had her ... worked 12 hour shifts! And they felt "that was not righ for hert??" So they looked to rehome her??

So my wife found her , and long story short we brought he home. Now I did take advantage of her "Crate Training," for 24 to 48 hour's cuz I had cat's! So we had to get over that first! Cuz a dog with a cat issue's that you have to keep on a leash for 24 hour's .. .get's old. I have done it but yeah.

But since Bella was "Crate Trained," I got a break so I could you know "sleep! So that took three day's maybe?? So after that it became continue to crate or not crate?? It took me exactly one night to make my choice. At Bed time I told Bella , "Kennel Up." No muss no fuss, she was good with that. But "Me?? I was the one "who could not sleep or settle down?? I could not handle it, but Bella was fine! But I wanted my dog to be with me. :)

So "Bella'" a dog who had spent her whole life in a "Crate," alone during the day. Spent exactly four day's in a "Crate with me." And after that short period of time uh "No!"

And indoors she is excellent, she knows how to settle down. There is no barking, no running around indoors, out of control. No eating up of furniture or electrical wires or you know "Remote Control's!??

Zero issues, just like my hand raised puppies! No big deal. But in your case It's a bit different?? I am not a fan of "Doggy Day Care," myself. First and foremost, I don't give "Stranger's control of my dog's behavior?? Doggy Day Care is an "X factor," you don't know, what goes on all the time?? Camera's are not! And aside from that ... "you are "Training," your day to "Always be busy, always be engaged, I am alway's going to be doing something???

And I would say even if you are willing to bare the expensive?? When he get's into the 12 to 18 month range ... you will be asked, to take your dog and don't come back! Because he will become more of a hassle then he is worth! But don't sweat it, the GSD owner's will be right in line behind you to be asked ," "to take their dogs and don't come back ... "Thank You For Your Business." :)

So "Doggy Day Care," several day's a week is an "X Factor," for "You," as to the "Crate or No Crate Issue??" You are "Training Him To Go, Go Go," and when he becomes unmanageable, for them?? The Doggy Day Care will want him gone??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, while I did give a "thumb's up," for how you feel about the Crate. I can't say Yay or Nay to if , he "does not need to be crated , anymore?

The "Best Advise," is to "Crate Your Dog." And the "Pro's," advise doing that for two year's?? Crating your dgog helps to establish rules and structure and it help's to keep them safe (from doing stupid crap) if you have to leave them home alone! And the best way to mess up ... "who is charge, is by letting the dog "Sleep," with you!

So that is in essence where the "Crate Your Dog," bit comes from. And I won't "dispute it." But t is not what I do! My puppy's and dog's have always slept with me out the gate. And that is not about them, it is more about me!

My latest example is my Bella, a one year old Pit/Boxer Mix. She had lived with four different families in one year before I got her and had always been crated! And she got passed from family to family within that time. The last family member's that had her ... worked 12 hour shifts! And they felt "that was not righ for hert??" So they looked to rehome her??

So my wife found her , and long story short we brought he home. Now I did take advantage of her "Crate Training," for 24 to 48 hour's cuz I had cat's! So we had to get over that first! Cuz a dog with a cat issue's that you have to keep on a leash for 24 hour's .. .get's old. I have done it but yeah.

But since Bella was "Crate Trained," I got a break so I could you know "sleep! So that took three day's maybe?? So after that it became continue to crate or not crate?? It took me exactly one night to make my choice. At Bed time I told Bella , "Kennel Up." No muss no fuss, she was good with that. But "Me?? I was the one "who could not sleep or settle down?? I could not handle it, but Bella was fine! But I wanted my dog to be with me. :)

So "Bella'" a dog who had spent her whole life in a "Crate," alone during the day. Spent exactly four day's in a "Crate with me." And after that short period of time uh "No!"

And indoors she is excellent, she knows how to settle down. There is no barking, no running around indoors, out of control. No eating up of furniture or electrical wires or you know "Remote Control's!??

Zero issues, just like my hand raised puppies! No big deal. But in your case It's a bit different?? I am not a fan of "Doggy Day Care," myself. First and foremost, I don't give "Stranger's control of my dog's behavior?? Doggy Day Care is an "X factor," you don't know, what goes on all the time?? Camera's are not! And aside from that ... "you are "Training," your day to "Always be busy, always be engaged, I am alway's going to be doing something???

And I would say even if you are willing to bare the expensive?? When he get's into the 12 to 18 month range ... you will be asked, to take your dog and don't come back! Because he will become more of a hassle then he is worth! But don't sweat it, the GSD owner's will be right in line behind you to be asked ," "to take their dogs and don't come back ... "Thank You For Your Business." :)

So "Doggy Day Care," several day's a week is an "X Factor," for "You," as to the "Crate or No Crate Issue??" You are "Training Him To Go, Go Go," and when he becomes unmanageable, for them?? The Doggy Day Care will want him gone??
At this point since hes been in a crate ill give him into about hes 2 before he can free roam around the house. I have never had any issue with doggy day care, prior to having our boxer we had another dog there who was a GSD. He went every day until he was about a year old then i scald back 2-3 days a weeks. But each dog is different. Were about to get another male puppy in a couple of months either a cane corso or doberman. will see how that goes 🤦‍♀️

Again thanks for your advice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts