Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all 馃槉

We decided not to crate train our pups and now regret it.

We鈥檝e been feeding them in their crates and giving them treats in their crates. Our 15 month old, Maxx, freaks out once his food or treats our gone.

Our trainer says not to let him cry it out but I鈥檓 not sure what to do at this point! It鈥檚 been about 1.5 months of consistently feeding in their crates, treats, etc.

Have any of you let you boxer cry it out? Or should we continue being patient?

Thank you!

Registered
We tried all of the advice of slowly introducing the crate, which worked well and our puppy did great sleeping through the night. But crating her during the day was more challenging. She would freak out and start barking non-stop, especially if she couldn't see us. There was no "crying it out" because she would just keep barking and barking. We tried the positive reinforcement method of waiting until she quieted down to tell her she was good, but it just never happened - she would just continue barking.

We eventually had success by simply correcting her. Making a loud noise and telling her "No!" when she began barking. She quickly got the message that barking wouldn't be tolerated and now she's very relaxed with crating at all times of day. Luckily, with my schedule our 6 month old boxer isn't in her crate for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time during the day.

I'm so glad we finally found the advice to correct the barking. Waiting it out was really impossible and was only increasing her stress and anxiety.

Registered
I was just wondering how long the dogs were crated? I did not crate the last two Boxers I have it just wasn鈥檛 working for me putting them thru the stress. I used baby gates and blocked them in puppy proofed rooms. Crates should only be used when you have to leave the house or at night if you are unwilling to supervise and take them out. i think too much crate creates anxiety. The dogs I have crated crate use was very limited

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The longest they鈥檝e been crated is like 45 minutes but that鈥檚 when they have a treat to chew on. Once it鈥檚 gone, Maxx will cry and we let him out.

the problem with puppy proofing rooms is that no matter where I put them, something gets chewed on (walls, stairs, windows, screens, cabinets, door jams, you name it 鈽)

Registered
Are you crating just when you leave the house or when you are home? If the dog knows you are they yes they are going to scream because they want to be with you. maybe try crating if you have to leave make sure they are well excersised and tired before trying it. Honestly I don鈥檛 like leaving puppie unattended with chews too many of my dogs have choked on those things

Registered
Personally I swear by the crate prevents peeing and chewing etc when left aline and keeps them safe.
My opinion is when people say they have tried they have and give in to soon, I will briefly explain how I start.
Put the crate in a room where it is comfortable for you and the dog not the bedroom unless its going to be permanent, I start crate in the living room and eventually move it to utility (now my dog sleeps in a bed upstairs at night but uses crate when out in day mostly but has soent full nights in it prior)
I have think it鈥檚 important to cover a crate either with a dark blanket or a crate cover so only the front is open, make sure they have a nice comfy bed and blanket.

introduce it pver a period of time until they start popping into it themselves, when playing fetch etc through the toys into the crate feom a bit of a distance, burry really tastey treats under the blanket.
Once they are starting to go into it usually after a few days of doing that you will find they go in there when tired to play start closing the door while they are lying down as soon as they are up open and reward.
Night time鈥 this last pup I slept downstairs for a week would leave her in crate for a hour or so wake her up take her for a pee then get her back in it with door open often she would come near me then after 2nd night 2 hours ish same again then thwt was it she was sound after about a week just been left in it when I was going out.

as for them crying I am against leaving a dog to worry and dont think they should be left in a crate as it willput them off it, a little wimper yea fine ignore them.

other things to consider, is it warm enough in the room, how ling ago is it since you fead or let them have a drink, usually I feed tea 6-7 after that about 8-8:30 I close the door where the water is and then only get water if she asks she is raw fead so dont drink as much but then I know if thets the last shehas had when I let hwr out before I go to bed she is going to last all night (obviously early stage pups wont last all night still)

Registered
Hi all 馃槉

We decided not to crate train our pups and now regret it.

We鈥檝e been feeding them in their crates and giving them treats in their crates. Our 15 month old, Maxx, freaks out once his food or treats our gone.

Our trainer says not to let him cry it out but I鈥檓 not sure what to do at this point! It鈥檚 been about 1.5 months of consistently feeding in their crates, treats, etc.

Have any of you let you boxer cry it out? Or should we continue being patient?

Thank you!
remember its jail to the dog so...how about nice mellow music left on

Registered
The longest they鈥檝e been crated is like 45 minutes but that鈥檚 when they have a treat to chew on. Once it鈥檚 gone, Maxx will cry and we let him out.
LOL, he cries to get out and you let him out? Who's training who? :)

That one is actually pretty simple, as has already been stated, you "Correct, the dog in the Crate for "Bad Behaviour!" Lot's of way of doing that, you could use a "Pet Corrector, or a Bicycle Air Pump." :

It emits a "hiss and a blast of air," and you use as required. Or throw a blanket over the crate and slap the crap out of it when he makes noise. Or tie a rope to the crate handle and yank it when he makes "noise!" Direct "Consequences," for bad behaviour is the quickest way to "fix," a "Dog's issues. So there is that.

But I am gonna guess? That is not really your style? And what you really want is to be able to leave your dog free in the home and not have to worry about him/them tearing up crap or doing something stupid?" Well that can be done but it will take more "Work and Time," on your part.

It is not hard but it is fairly "Time Consuming." But is what I have done with all my puppy's. They were never "Crate Trained," they were great indoors, they don't annoy neighbors (even with bad neighbors) on both sides with barking dogs! For the most part you have to come to front door to know they are there!

And we can leave the house for hours and they ... just settle down. I did not need to "Crate," to achieve that! I only had one pup that was a "Issue?" Yeah is retrospec ... I should have "Crate Him," or you know kept using it? But his issues were more "Discipline and Order," in general nothing about tearing up crap or making noise ... another story.

But three things to be done.

Walk your dog, on a proper structured walk, a lot! No pulling and tugging and being an A-Hole ... just walk!

Train the "Place Command."

And do "Sit on the Dog."

And yes of course "exercise," is important also. But dogs don't need you to run "Hog Butt," wild as it were. As with just two leg's a person can't keep up. But to go on a proper, "Structured Walk?" To do that they need "you." :)

Registered
remember its jail to the dog so...how about nice mellow music left on
NO ... and I am not a "Crate," guy myself but I understand them and their use. And the "Crate," should be a "Safe Place," for the Dog.

My "Bella," Boxer/Pit (newish dog) one year old when we got her. And been thru three owners? Had spent her first year of life in a "Crate," for 8 to 12 hours a day with her last owners. They did not feel that was fair and that's how we got her.

With "me," she spent many 8 hours in the "Crate," overnight for maybe three days? And that was because I was "working," on her Cat issues. After that ... I brought her "Crate," into the "Bedroom," and said "Kennel Up." And she was fine with that ... but I could not sleep "knowing," she was in the Crate!

And that was it my dog was fine but "I," could not handle her in a "Crate," my bad? So I did what I do and we have never had any indoor issues! She stays inside with the Cat's when we leave for hours and when we come home ... everything is fine. :)

But "truth be told," she is my "Worst Trained Dog," she "counter Surfs kinda, (We meaning her and I) have our counter spot. She crowds (me) at the Refrigerator (cuz that's where the hot dog's are) and she uses the "Coffee Table," as a "Place Cot!" I think it's all kinda cute myself. But my better "half is not amused?"

The "Coffee Table," bit ... might be a "Storm brewing?" Marilyn say's "I want a new Coffee Table," and I don't want the dog on it! My take is ... the "Dog," is fine and we don't need a new Coffee table?" We shall see.

But dog's do (whatever their owners allow them to do) for the most part. If one partner allows it ... that's what there gonna do ... apprently, my Bad? :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts