Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little peace of mind from all of you experienced dog owners... :(  Just got back from the vet for Sadie's third vaccine and Rabbies shot. Good news, she didn't cry! I was nervous about it, but I just kept feeding her treats as the vet gave her the shots and it was fine.

Bad news...they examined her pee again to make sure her second UTI was cleared up...and they found tons of crystals and bacteria. There were no crystals the other times. I am so confused...they said it was due to her food?? I feed her Merrick Puppy Plate, so I told him and mentioned it was pretty good grade and everything..but we still need to do a food change. He put her on Royal Canine Urinary. Is that a pretty good food?

So we'll see how that goes. ANd more antibiotics...(we have also been giving her some cranberry once in a while, guess we'll keep that up...)

So is this common? The vet said yes, but I've never heard of a puppy getting 3 UTI's all in a row. He also said it may be due to some underlying disease, but not to worry about that right now. GEEZ I'm gonna worry about it whether he tells me to or not!

I just need you guys to tell me its okay...Ask Liz, I'm a worry wart  8O

Sorry for the length...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Re: Crystals in pee/ 3rd UTI

She'll be okay, puppies get in to so much stuff...we havn't had a dog yet that hasn't had a problem as a puppy and they all grew up fine and healthy. I'm a HUGE worry wart as well...so I feel your pain. I once drove home durring lunch 60-40 minutes round trip to check on Milo after we had to take him to the E-Vet the night before.

Our boxers and their sicknesses:
Harley had Bronchitis
Milo had Demodex Mange
Kaci had Tape worms
Ceasar had two upper respiatory infections...back to back.

Harley lived to be 11 y/o (RIP), Milo's 4, Kaci's 2 and Ceasar is 10 months.

Sadie will be just fine. :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Poor Sadie!!  Hun, I know it's hard but try not to stress too much over the UTI's. Chloe had at least 6 when she was a pup and 4 of them were one right after the other. She kept getting them over and over again right up until she got spayed. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not tho. But they did eventually stop. My brothers dog had the same problem when she was a puppy. From what I hear it's pretty common in pups. Hugs to you and Sadie. Give her a kiss from me too!

·
Registered
405 Posts

I am thinking about common reasons a human would get one and thinking...is she getting enough fluids? Dehydration can help the bacteria to multiply.  The bacteria is always in your system, you just need to keep it until control.  Plenty of fluids help with this.

Cranberry, as you mentioned, is useful in that it assists in preventing the bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder where is multipies.  Not sure if the same process occurs in dogs, but hey, worth a shot.

What about baths...how often to you give her a bath, using what kind of shampoo and what method do you use for washing her? Some bath products can cause irritation...so if you have been bathing her frequently, maybe, just out of caution, try a new sensitive, perfume free, dye free, etc bath product.  Rinse that area extremely well afterwards.

just some thoughts...good luck!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! Sadie is my first doggy so I worry a lot about her. I just want to make sure she is healthy..anyway, we'll know in two weeks if the new diet and antibiotics are working...I just can't believe he said it could be an underlying disease! That sort of freaked me out.

AbbyandBrady-Thanks for the ideas. She drinks plenty of water, so I don't know if it would be that... And we have yet to give her a bath because we've only had her for a little over a month. And as for cranberry, we will certainly keep that up as I've heard it is good for dogs with UTI's as well as humans! I didn't know exactly why it helped, so thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

Don't know if the results are the  same in cats and dogs, but had frequent vet trips for cats with crystals in their urine and the vet told us it was related to a high ash content in their food. We switched to a lower ash content and no crystals since. Just a thought, you could ask your vet if it's ash related.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

Awe Sadie girl, what's going on with you??? I'd be worried to just because we as humans are very good at that.  Alexa I know you have done everything under the sun to keep her healthy - so don't blame yourself.  Sadie probably just has a weakness for that particular problem and hopefully Sharon can give you some more information to ease your mind.  I don't know how a food could be the cause of the problem, but if that's what your vet says, then I guess you need to do what she says...but I'd question that one.  Anyway give that little angel a big hug from all of us and tell to get well quickly.  Also, I don't know whether you are giving her yogurt along with the antibiotics, but I was told that the yogurt was good to give after finishing the antibiotics, but not during as it can interfere with how they work.  Keep us posted on our little girl.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Ugh, I've never had to deal with UTI's in puppies, but I hope she is feeling better soon!  >:D<

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for the info Sharon. She's on Clavamox, do you know it?

Now that you mention acidity, he said something about her pee not being acidic anymore? He said a lot and I was by myself and overwhelmed so I don't quite remember everything...

He said what could possibly happen is crystals could progress into an obstruction (stones?) Then they would have to do surgery..thats worst case scenario anyway I think

Thanks for clarifying the crystals thing for me. I have no idea about any of it. And now that you mention it could have just been the same UTI, that makes sense. (the vets said both times that it was cleared, but it could have been that the pee might not have been as fresh maybe...? I'm such an amateur lol everything is new to me!

I saw you were online and was hoping you'd reply, so thanks!! I appreciate it!  :)

DonnersMom: The vet tech mentioned its more common it cats. I'm going to ask about the ash content. Thanks!

Kate: Thanks for your continued support, it means a lot.

Shari: It eases my mind to know that this is not as uncommon as I had thought. You had said before Chloe had a lot of them as a pup, thanks again for your encouragement.

KC: I'm glad to know that I'm not the only worry wart among us! I actually think there are quite a few! lol

Lisa: Hope you never have a pup with a UTI, they are no fun!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Yep...Clavamox is good....they probably use the one that comes in a strip....For me personally its not my number one choice, but it does work!!! Stones can happen but they are not really common....I think you will be okay....just need to get it cleared up, make sure there is plenty of water at all times and add cranberry juice once a week or so....

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Great thanks for the insight Sharon. She has been drinking WAY more water the last couple of days and peeing more. Guess thats a good thing! We have been giving her about 1tbsp of cranberry 1/day..is that too much?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Sadiesmomma\";p=\"36217 said:
Great thanks for the insight Sharon. She has been drinking WAY more water the last couple of days and peeing more. Guess thats a good thing! We have been giving her about 1tbsp of cranberry 1/day..is that too much?
no that should be fine.....or you can do 2 tbsp 3 times a week...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

I hope Sadie girl is feeling better!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Poor Sadie, she's just having a rough go of it isn't she? No advice, and you've already gotten some good info anyways...I do remember that my MIL's little poodle used to have problems and she did give her cranberry pills and that helped a lot....The ash content, like Sharon said is definitely more of a factor in cats, I had one that had to be put on a special diet as she was constantly having stones.....Hugs to Sadie and you as well.....

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Crystals in pee/ 3rd UTI-UPDATE-question?

Thanks Sharon, we find it easier to just give her the one tbsp/day with her breakfast so we've been doing that since her last vet visit. I can't get over how much water she is drinking!! More than ever before...I'm wondering if her new food has a higher sodium content, or maybe thats a result of the stones.. :? She's peeing more too, which I can only assume is good as she would be a good thing. I am bringing in another pee sample in a week and a half, so hope this Clavamox and new food make it all better.

Lisa/Willow, thanks guys for your encouraging words! Seriously they help a lot!!  :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

we went through that with our siamese maui a few months ago..we had no idea until he was on the floor screaming in pain...got to the vet and they had to catherize him immediatly ..saying his bladder was so hard and full it was literally about to rupture..it was crystals that caused a blockage at the urethra..we also had to change to hills s/d which is low ash..i wish i knew another food as good or better b/c can only get it at the vet and its far and on a road thats alot of traffic all the time..and they only have the small bags..and always only have 2 or 3 on the shelf...aggivating...

i didnt know this kind of thing could happen in dogs..is it the ash in the dog food also?

needless to say maui is now doing fine..we would have lost him if they hadnt catheterized him right away..of course he yanke dit out the next day ahah  oo and they had him on zeniquin..

boy oh boy i hope sadie feels better soon..give her plenty of hugs and kisses from us and im very glad sharon said its not the same in dogs...maybe its just a pup thing...she ll be ok..:) dont worry...although i am the same way..we worry like crazy about both dogs and the cats...and kids haha..its just whaat makes a great mama..if you didnt worry you wouldnt ask and wouldnt get the info and answers you need..so keep worrying to a point...sadies lucky to have a mama that cares...:)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I know I mentioned this before, but since the food change (from Merrick to Royal Canine Urinary) well we are still in the process of switching...Sadie has been drinking WAY more water than before! She has been peeing more as well as a result. My question is...is this a reaction from this brand of food? Is it normal, when there were crystals in her pee? I called the vet, and the tech said it could be a sign of diabetes!!  8O ..she was going to get the vet to give me a call but no call yet...4 1/2hrs later GRRRR! So I thought I'd see what you guys thought...She just started drinking more the day we started giving her the Royal Canine, but she has been having trouble with UTI's...

To give you an idea of how much water....she gulps down half of one of her bowl fills several times/day and before she would drink maybe 1full one/day..maybe she wasn't drinking enough before?? Oh I have no idea!

I may be worried for nothing, but it seems its just one thing after another..any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Keep in mind that.....Urine food such as this one make them drink and pee more. They are designed to do that...They will increase the urine volume which simultaneously reduces the saturation of urine with calcium oxalate and struvite, preventing the two major types of urolithiasis.

In non-medical human terms, that means.....The food makes them drink more, that makes them pee more and then the pee does not have time to become infected or develop crystals.....

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

jeez ..Onyx &  Isis finish atleast 2 bowls each, a day  !! more i think

and i know with maui our siamese they said with the crystals in the urine they need all the water they can get..the more water the better...and when we switched to the new food it also made him drink more..i wonder if the LOW ASH somehow makes them thirstier...

good question..how is she feeling? she seem ok?...i really think the more water she drinks the better she'll feel... i think back to when ive had a uti and it dehydrates you..so maybe its just a sign shes feeling better also...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts