Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry:

We have a champion bread Mainecoon cat who happens to be our Boxer's (Cuda) buddy and playmate.    We raised Shelby (the mainecoon) from a kitten and have had him approxamately  7 years.    If you are not familiar with the bread,  google it and check them out.   They love people,  other animals,  greet you and show affection like a dog, love water,  and grow to be huge.    We woke up this morning and Shelby was dead on the floor.    After the shock and realizing this was really happening,  I had to ignore my own feelings and think of the kids before they got up for school.   I took Shelby and put him in my truck,  talked with my wife and we decided to just sit the kids down and tell them.    Starting out the day with the death of a family member and kids involved it not something I want to do again anytime soon.    

Every morning Cuda (boxer) plays chase with the cat thru the house and then they take a break and eat side by side.    Cuda woke up this morning to no kitty.    She was looking all around the house for her playmate and then went and sat at the spot where Shelby had died.    This is killing me, my wife, kids and Cuda.   Sorry to do a cat post on a Boxer site but I have to vent.  

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it must be devastating for you and your family.  Shelby was beautiful.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. My gf had a mancoon growing up (Corey) and two years ago she had to make the tough decision to put him down.  He lived to be 18 years old and loved her family dog as well.
Your Shelby was very beautiful and I know this is going to be a tough time for your family.  Our thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Poor Shelby and poor you, have you any idea what happened?  I have to say, in that second pic she looks soooo like Puss in Boots from Shrek doing his sad face!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Honeyec\";p=\"49184":2njjhhio]Poor Shelby and poor you, have you any idea what happened?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear that....Shelby was gorgous and poor Cuda, he must really be confused right now, bless his heart...Shelby was obviously very special to your family judging from those pics & will be greatly missed, no doubt.....Run free Lovely Shelby and god bless...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone.   This is killing me.    I took Shelby to my vet, that has taking care of him since he was about 10 weeks old, this morning.    They were sad as well.    I can't spell this but the vet said it was Cardiomyopathy.     Basically the heart hardens and takes up the space where the blood usually goes.    So heart failure.   He said there was no way to predict, prevent it from happening nor was there anything different we could have done.    He was fine last night and now he is gone.     Lots of people that came over and saw him said he looked like puss n boots.   He just needed a hat, sword and of course boots.  

RIP Shelby!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cuda knows whats up and she is just laying around and doesn't even want to get up.    When be brought Cuda home as a pup,  she followed Shelby around all the time like he was her momma or something.    This sucks big time.    It is just so shocking because it was sudden and without warning.    I hope he didn't suffer during the night while we were sleeping.   I hope he just went to sleep.    :cry:

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i am so sorry for your loss. :(  my thoughts and prayers are with your family.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again to all of you.    I dread the day when Cuda's time comes.   We are together everyday and all day...............I can't imagine how that loss is going to feel!

·
Registered
526 Posts
yup, we had 3 dogs growing up and when one died, the others would mope around for days...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cuda is starting to come around but I know as soon as we go home it will be mope time again.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
What a terrible way to have to start your day, I love those maine coon cats and Shelby was a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am so sorry for you loss.  Shelby was a beautiful cat and I'm sure she will be missed by your whole family.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts