Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill be a first time pup owner in a little over a week. I'm researching anything and everything to the point where my eyes hurt at times haha. I realize there isn't a definate concrete answer to this, but what is a general order of commands that you should start training a pup? Some things i'd like to train are as follows...

Sit
Place
Down (lay down)
Come
Crate up/Bed time (go to crate)
Heel
Drop it/leave it
Paw/shake
"OK" as the release word for commands

Anything important I'm missing?

Is there a general guideline for what is easiest/most beneficial to start teaching an 8-9 week old puppy? Thanks for your help! I can't wait to get started!!!

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I also did "wait" whenever we go to the door and I always step out first then release the dog. Helps with the dog not bolting out the door. I think Kai learned No first , we have cats no for biting no for chasing cats...LOL later we added leave it and we did then use that on for the cats or anything we didn't want him touching like weeds and rose bushes blowing in the yard. I think he also learned sit, and when we walked heel, then added from that. It will all fall into place when you get your pup. The place command is also a good one to teach

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I used (down) probably more than any other command so far. lol Mostly for when he gets a little too excited and tries to jump on people.

(Off) was a another one for when he wasn't supposed to be on couches, beds, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Your first things to train your puppy will be crate training and house breaking.

Also getting them used to collar and leash can take some time. We introduce the collar in short spurts daily and allow them to drag their leash around behind them.

Them learning their name comes next as well as the command come.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help everyone! I'll definitely be focusing on crate training and house breaking first and foremost! Waiting by the door before exiting will also be a focus of mine, as i have two young kids and i can see that being an issue in the future. thanks again for the tips!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
ill be a first time pup owner in a little over a week. I'm researching anything and everything to the point where my eyes hurt at times haha. I realize there isn't a definate concrete answer to this, but what is a general order of commands that you should start training a pup? Some things i'd like to train are as follows...

Sit
Place
Down (lay down)
Come
Crate up/Bed time (go to crate)
Heel
Drop it/leave it
Paw/shake
"OK" as the release word for commands

Anything important I'm missing?

Is there a general guideline for what is easiest/most beneficial to start teaching an 8-9 week old puppy? Thanks for your help! I can't wait to get started!!!
You have way to much listed to start.. I like your enthusiasm but you will be asking to much of a young pup.

As far as commands..I would start with Sit/Down , Out and Come or Here (which ever you want to call it)

Waiting at doors isn't a command it's just part of training.

All pups learn at a different pace, just like people. Some pick stuff up super quick, others take a little more time
If you're training consistently, every day.. you should be able to add something new every 10-14 days.
Keep the command training short 10-15 mins max. a couple times a day.
and most important have fun.. and keep it fun for the pup.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have way to much listed to start.. I like your enthusiasm but you will be asking to much of a young pup.

As far as commands..I would start with Sit/Down , Out and Come or Here (which ever you want to call it)

Waiting at doors isn't a command it's just part of training.

All pups learn at a different pace, just like people. Some pick stuff up super quick, others take a little more time
If you're training consistently, every day.. you should be able to add something new every 10-14 days.
Keep the command training short 10-15 mins max. a couple times a day.
and most important have fun.. and keep it fun for the pup.
Thanks for the help! Sorry for the misleading question, I in no way meant that i expected to be able to train a pup all of that within a short period of time. I just meant it as, "heres what i'd like my dog to eventually be able to do, where should i start?" Yeah i think my first focus will be sit and come for sure. True that waiting at the door isn't a command, but what i'd like for her to eventually do would be to sit at the door and wait for the release (ok) to go through. that'll take some time haha.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the help! Sorry for the misleading question, I in no way meant that i expected to be able to train a pup all of that within a short period of time. I just meant it as, "heres what i'd like my dog to eventually be able to do, where should i start?" Yeah i think my first focus will be sit and come for sure. True that waiting at the door isn't a command, but what i'd like for her to eventually do would be to sit at the door and wait for the release (ok) to go through. that'll take some time haha.
Cool.
You can get what you are asking for with the 3 command I recommended.
Example: Once the pup knows Sit/Down, you start using it with duration (first inside the house). First for just a few seconds... building up to longer periods of time.
The dog knows Come (Here) because you've been working on it :up:
Doesn't need a command for the door.
Fast forward a few weeks.
You open the door, tell your pup to sit... walk out of the door stand in the yard for a few moments..then command "Come".. :cheers:
Then a short party with your pup and doing it again.

FYI... for the first few months I would always have a leash on her/him, just let her drag it around.
It's easier to grab a leash then a puppy that thinks "chase" is a great game.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
One thing I did with all my dogs when they were young(my boxer picked it up the quickest) was combine sit, stay, and release in one fun exercise. Would 1st make him sit, grab a couple training treats show them to him and make him stay. Then I would hide the treats in the house, come back, make him stay for a awhile longer then tell him to "find it". He loved it, because he knew he was looking for food, and I liked it because it was a simple exercise that combined a couple commands.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions! sorry for the delay in responding, last few days have been busy trying to get ready for this pup!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts