Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've just done the 20 questions and answer thing about my baby and noticed the bit about the ears and tail and was wondering for what reason would the ears be cut and made pointy ? is it just that in the usa its a common thing and most ppl do it..................... the tail docking is that still legal in the usa ?

As i live in the uk i've not seen a boxer (other than a pic) where the ears have been done. The tail docking became illegal here as of April 2007 so all born after then should have a full tail and you can only have the tails docked if you can prove your using the dog as a working dog and if a vet does it without proof then they can lose their licence, because of the legal side of things here over the tails a boxer born after that date that does have the tail docked it cannot been shown at crufts either

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
The ear cropping is a bit of a hot topic. Some are for it, some against. I believe it's all down to esthetic's for some people; they simply like the look of the cropped ear. I personally would rather keep the natural ear, for looks and there is no surgery involved in keeping them natural  :)

I used to live in North Yorkshire! My BF is from there (York) where are you from in W. Yorkshire?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Bradford, not far from where the Bronte sister were from...............was gonna ask a really daft question as to why you left but then thought about it and decided that this place ain't that great  lol

·
Registered
880 Posts
I like the ears floppy, I'm all for skipping unnecessary cosmetic surgeries.  But once again its just personal preference.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I prefer the natural ears but its just a preference thing I guess. As for the tail, I didn't know it was illegal in some places. I'm glad that Phoenix doesn't have a tail because from what I've heard it can clear a table and hurt if you get in the way of it when they get wiggling their bums so fast!
Is it illegal other places too?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Docking bans have swept the UK and Australia recently; they've been in place for a while in many European countries that have adopted the "Convention for Pet Protection" or whatever the official title is.  Perversely, docking is not illegal for lambs in these countries, which develop differently and so feel much more pain than a puppy does.  The European Convention (along with technically prohibiting the breeding of such breeds as Boxer, Bulldogs, etc., though at this point they don't seem to be enforcing that), also technically prohibits spaying/neutering except when medically necessary; this is not a huge deal for most of Europe because spay/neuter is not standard in those countries, but it would cause a terrific uproar if someone proposed such a thing here!

In my experience uncropped ears have far less incidence of infection and hematoma.  (I'm not saying that's necessarily a reason to crop, but it is something I consider.)  Cropping in most cases is personal preference, sometimes for aesthetics and sometimes to uphold the tradition of the breed.  Some working/service Boxers are cropped by necessity, as ears and tails are the most commonly injured parts of service dogs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen a video clip of the "banding" method and it causes no distress to the pup and no pain as its done when they are only a couple of days old, if we had, had the choice tho we would have had her docked

1 - 9 of 9 Posts