Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a great friend in my boxer female Floyd (think Pink Floyd, also, I'm a guy, I couldn't go around calling for PINK  :D ), but unfortunately she got a major infection in her mammary glands in January and she wasn't able to overcome it.  My wife got her for me just over 2 years ago from a BYB because she knew how much I always wanted a boxer.  Unfortunately, the perils that sometimes come along with BYB's seem to have plagued my little friend and it took their toll on her.

That all being said, I am hoping to be able to get a boxer puppy in the not too distant future.  I am trying to find contacts for reputable breeders in the Dallas, TX area.  They don't have to necessarily be IN Dallas, but within 2-3 hour drive at the most, because I'd like to be able to visit them and check them out before committing to a new puppy.

Also, I'm trying to get an idea of how much I should expect to pay for a healthy puppy.  I'm looking strictly for a PET not a show dog, but I would like to avoid as many health and temperment landmines as I can without have to get a second mortgage on my house.

Thanks in advance.

BTW: Here's a picture of my Floyd when she was about 6 months old.  She's dearly missed.

G

·
0 Posts
I know that a lot of pet quality puppies from reputable breeders who health test both dam and sire can range from $800 to $1500.  It really depends on the area as well.  I don't know what boxer pups are going for in your area, so I can't say exactly, but expect to pay a decent price for a health tested puppy.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
There probably is a Boxer Club in your area, that is a good place to start to ask about reputable breeders.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I worked with a wonderfull woman named Dawn Mancine who is co-owner of Highridge/Hilltop Boxers out of Killeen. She does breed for show quality Boxers, but just like all show breeders, she will always have "pet quality" pups that she needs to place in good homes. This entails a limited AKC contract...but to me, if your looking for pet quality, its simply a piece of paper anyhow.
She is very up on all health testing..to help diminish problems further down the line ( I would think she HAS to do this with the reputation she needs to uphold ). And as stated above her pups will go for a higher price than a BYB ( but keep in mind..you WILL get what you pay for )
You can reach her at (254) 319-8195, or I suggest you go to her website @    http://www.highridgehilltopboxers.com/
to see her boxers, and fill out a application. ( her dogs will blow you away..they are simply stunning!)
LOL...tell her Linda from San Antonio sent ya!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Check with your local Boxer club, attend some shows, do your homework, ask to see all health testing in writing, don't take their word on it....Your girl was lovely, I am so sorry that you lost her at such a young age

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I am sorry that you lost your baby. It is hard to lose them at any point, but it is even worse when you konw it happened due to irresponsible breeding. I lost two boxers this way.I sent you a pm with some info

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
You can also look on Peggy Ottos site www.pro-boxers.com I KNOW she has a HUGE list of reputable breeders on there and next to them it tells you where they are!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Just a caveat; most breeder listings are not pre-screened, so while they're a starting point you do still need to ask about health testing, policies, contracts, etc.  (This applies to club member listings, as well.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts