Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so it seems that carter has dandruff every once inawhile not all the time...My question is what shampoo are you using and what is the best for this...Im using some oatmeal type of shampoo for puppies

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
How often are you bathing him? Really it should be done as little as possible to maintain the natural oils. Ever few months or more, unless he's really dirty would probably be fine. We use some natural aloe baby wipes to clean Sadie between baths.

Otherwise, I wouldn't know what could be causing the dandruff...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Dandruff is usually caused by over bathing...but now always. I use an oatmeal shampoo, but i switch between that and regular baby shampoo that way the girls hair doesnt get used to one shampoo....i am weird like that though :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Oggie was getting some serious dandruff when the seasons changed this fall.  I almost never bathe him so I don't know what the deal was.  It disappeared on it's own.  You could try switching foods, it could be an allergy I guess.

G

·
0 Posts
I have to bathe mine every month or so do to allergies...Bo seems to have some dandruff here and there, but not often...Jetta hasn't yet

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is true that the flakes are generally from dry skin and an oatmeal shampoo works very well.....The key is not to do a bath to often and also add a little something in the diet to help the skin coat....There are two things I know off hand that can be done at home to help this....on the adding give a raw egg once or twice a week....and on the shampoo you can use human flake shampoo and I think selsom blue works the best to do a doggie bath about once a month....It will stop the dry skin and flakes pretty well.....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The colder weather does seem to trigger dry skin. I used to notice it in Buck and I see it occasionally on Angel as well....Both of my brindles, how odd.....The eggs are a good way to help with that...Mine love their scrambled eggs twice a week,,plain, nothing added..

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah had bad dandruff when I was feeding her Canidae, once I changed to a different food she hasn't had any problems.  The last month or so I have been feeding one raw egg a week (her Sunday am treat) and she just loves it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
kiahsmom\";p=\"58778 said:
Kiah had bad dandruff when I was feeding her Canidae, once I changed to a different food she hasn't had any problems.  The last month or so I have been feeding one raw egg a week (her Sunday am treat) and she just loves it.
I was feeding Canidae at the time of the dry skin too.  I switched to Timberwolf and it went away around that time.  Could be a coincidence or a connection...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts