Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is about 6 months old now. I got her when she was about 4-5 weeks old it was very apparent that she had been abused. She warmed up and started trusting me very quickly but recently she has started getting skittish if I move to quickly. She either runs or tries to nip my hand she never actually bites it's almost like she doesn't realize what she's doing at first. I always try to be very gentle with her so this doesn't happen, is there anything else I can do to help her or do I just need to ride this out and hope it gets better?

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
She may not have actually been "abused???" As four to five weeks is just much to young to be re-homing a puppy?? So most likely "that" early adoption as it were, is the "source" of your current issues??

Now "technically" I would advise starting over, forget the past and treat the dog like you just got her! And that would like the first link here.:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

Now as it happens ... I just a rescue! A female Boxer/Pit mix ... I should have got a male with "people issues!" Sigh but I did not we got a "girl" and she does not have "people issues??" And she was already crate trained!

Anyway ... that protocol is what I advise and it is what I should have been ... but "apparently" I suck at it??? My "two week Shut Down" lasted about uh ... "two hours??" The no free roaming in the house bit and no dogs on the furniture that lasted about one day. And the dog in the crate thing lasted uh ... one night!?? Bella was good with the crate ... but I could not handle it?? So she sleeps in bed with me and the Cats!

She had cat issues but that bit we seem to have gotten over with ... much. much faster than I expected ... actually within "two weeks??" That was a bit of a surprise but another story. At any rate ... there is a lot of sound advise in that post. Even though I did not follow it myself ... my bad?? But it's a guideline of sorts ...you can't force your self on her ... you have to bring her to you. I got more and it is stuff I will actually do, for reals. :)

But back on point do you walk her, how is she on walks and how is she with strangers??? And yes there are things you can do to help "bring her to you" as it were.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My pup is about 6 months old now. I got her when she was about 4-5 weeks old it was very apparent that she had been abused. She warmed up and started trusting me very quickly but recently she has started getting skittish if I move to quickly. She either runs or tries to nip my hand she never actually bites it's almost like she doesn't realize what she's doing at first. I always try to be very gentle with her so this doesn't happen, is there anything else I can do to help her or do I just need to ride this out and hope it gets better?
Hello Emijean,
Sounds like you're dealing with few problems, I don't think abuse is the source. 4-5 weeks is a really, really young and something just popping up now at 6 months may not have anything to do with what may or may not have happened as a puppy.
If you don't mind giving some info....
What does your pups typical day look like (ie: Home alone from 8am-5pm, potty break when I get home, feed, playtime, walk, then to bed... something like that..)
Do you use a crate? Have you had any training.. puppy classes? does she get to leave the house with you much.. trips to stores, parks, etc..

Any info will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Is it a normal fear stage? Has she been out and about, and socialized to different situations? I think it may be normal as they start adolescence at 6 months.

I'd read up on what to do without pushing her too much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My puppy also gets skittish and scared when I move suddenly. I also suspected whether he was abused before I adopted him. And I asked his "parent" who is also my friend, she said he is innately timid and shy. His another sib puppy who grew up together is outgoing but naughty.
If you could know your pup's background from the former owners, it could help you to find the cause and prevent it from happening again.
But it's hard to change a naturally quiet pup into a passional pup, the thing we can do is to allay his fear and improve the social ability. I always leash train my pup outside, which helps him to accept certain stimulations such as mild noise and shifting sight, so he can get used to normal noise and our movement at home. Puppyhood is the most perfect phrase for conducting leash training. You could find the steps in this guide. Tips on How a Dog Should Behave on a Leash
Hope it can help you!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Hmm yeah well Emijean I don't agree with the post from Bentleyking. Bte has lots of good tips so I would follow his advise. First you have to give a bit more information on your dog and how you have been training. A puppy @3-5 weeks was young to leave its littermates and that more than likely was its abuse, which it no longer remembers, its too long ago. It knows now from the day you brought it home . So a little more info and people can help you more.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
My puppy also gets skittish and scared when I move suddenly. I also suspected whether he was abused before I adopted him. And I asked his "parent" who is also my friend, she said he is innately timid and shy. His another sib puppy who grew up together is outgoing but naughty.
This pup was acquired at 4 to 5 weeks??? And that is, as is generally accepted as tribal knowledge ... "way to young." And it would seem to be the case ... that not getting a puppy that young ... is indeed a good thing "not to do."

But ... we don't know the "circumstances" of how this came to happen?? Maybe something happened to the mom?? And she was no longer in the picture and "someone stepped up" and picked up a litter?? And someone without a lot of resources at hand and not acknowledge ... just wanted to help??

And they felt the best option was to ... move the puppies on as quickly as possible, I don't know??? The missing three weeks (that this pup, did not have with mom) would have better shaped ... who he is. Some pups are fearless and confident, early on (those are pretty obvious) and some pups are shy and timid and then some pups are calm and quiet. The last ones are the ones that can be more than they appear to be??

They don't appear to be confident and fearless nor are they shy and timid?? They just kinda "roll with it" as it were??? The last one ... was my Struddell. She climbed out of the puppy of puppies, climbed into my lap and fell asleep??

I wanted a boy ... but Struddell chose me! Now later on ... she proved not to be as laid back as I thought she was gonna be :)

At any rate the dog/pup at hand, missed out on those three weeks, so no way of knowing which of those three, she would have been?? But she does not have to be fearful and skittish for life?? The Op just has to take a slightly different take on how to proceed. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I commend you for finding this forum; it's a reflection of the path you are starting. We all benefit from learning more about why our puppies/dogs exhibit the behaviors they do. Find some comfort in knowing that a lot of bad behaviors can be reshaped into good, desirable behaviors with methodical, consistent training and good timing.
I can understand yourt thinking that it was possible your puppy was abused in the 4-5 weeks of his life prior to you owning him (& of course, it is possible). However, the reason so many previously have mentioned the extremely young age that your puppy was removed from her momma is because, in addition to other aspects, your puppy missed out on critical weeks, or even a month or more, of highly important and beneficial interactions with his momma, where she would have had the opportunity to teach your puppy some bite inhibition, as well as communication abilities, such as how to read subtle social cues used to express emotions like a request to play, calming signals that express a desire to be friendly with others, etc.
These communication skills are highly beneficial for your puppy to develop because they are directly related to how your puppy percieves your corrections or directions. Of course, the momma having the opportunity to interact with your puppy while he developed for a longer time was not going to train these naughty behaviors out of your puppy, but it WOULD have laid down the foundation for you to address these behavior issues. Without the momma having the opportunity to instill some bite inhibition and social cues, it is now up to you and other (friendly) dogs to do so.
Don't get discouraged... one of the BEST dogs I have ever been close to had a lot of behavior issues and we overcame them. He was a truly wonderful dog after he learned some boundaries and communication skills.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I commend you for finding this forum; it's a reflection of the path you are starting. We all benefit from learning more about why our puppies/dogs exhibit the behaviors they do. Find some comfort in knowing that a lot of bad behaviors can be reshaped into good, desirable behaviors with methodical, consistent training and good timing.
I can understand yourt thinking that it was possible your puppy was abused in the 4-5 weeks of his life prior to you owning him (& of course, it is possible). However, the reason so many previously have mentioned the extremely young age that your puppy was removed from her momma is because, in addition to other aspects, your puppy missed out on critical weeks, or even a month or more, of highly important and beneficial interactions with his momma, where she would have had the opportunity to teach your puppy some bite inhibition, as well as communication abilities, such as how to read subtle social cues used to express emotions like a request to play, calming signals that express a desire to be friendly with others, etc.
These communication skills are highly beneficial for your puppy to develop because they are directly related to how your puppy percieves your corrections or directions. Of course, the momma having the opportunity to interact with your puppy while he developed for a longer time was not going to train these naughty behaviors out of your puppy, but it WOULD have laid down the foundation for you to address these behavior issues. Without the momma having the opportunity to instill some bite inhibition and social cues, it is now up to you and other (friendly) dogs to do so.
Don't get discouraged... one of the BEST dogs I have ever been close to had a lot of behavior issues and we overcame them. He was a truly wonderful dog after he learned some boundaries and communication skills.
Yep ... pretty much this. :cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
[/quote]Yep ... pretty much this. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.boxerforums.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]

🍻 Cheers right back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts