Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common is it for newborn puppies to die?

I'm wondering if it just happens sometimes (even if the breeder did everything right) or if there are signs to look for that may be red flags for breeder care.

Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow, other than a runt after a few days. there should be next to none... There"s too many questions to ask .

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
This isn’t an easy question to answer. Were they full term? Did mom deliver them or did they slowly pass away one by one?
There are so many factors that could have happened. Everything from progesterone dropping, bacterial/viral infections etc

Breeding is not for the faint of heart. It’s absolutely heart breaking at times.

I myself just went through horrible heart break with one of my girls who was 6.5 weeks pregnant. Out of no where she spiked a fever and we lost the entire litter. Thankfully my girl has pulled through and for this I am grateful. It’s been a long week and I’m sorry for not being on the forum but she was my top priority.

Have you met your breeder? Do you feel comfortable with them?

·
Registered
560 Posts
This isn’t an easy question to answer. Were they full term? Did mom deliver them or did they slowly pass away one by one?
There are so many factors that could have happened. Everything from progesterone dropping, bacterial/viral infections etc

Breeding is not for the faint of heart. It’s absolutely heart breaking at times.

I myself just went through horrible heart break with one of my girls who was 6.5 weeks pregnant. Out of no where she spiked a fever and we lost the entire litter. Thankfully my girl has pulled through and for this I am grateful. It’s been a long week and I’m sorry for not being on the forum but she was my top priority.

Oh I am so sorry you lost a whole litter that is terrible! I feel bad for your girl too I am glad she was able to pull thru this terrible thing and you didn't lose her too. Again I am sorry to hear this.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

So sorry for the litter Kari.
Glad your girl pulled through though

·
Registered
314 Posts
Kari, sorry to hear about your litter heartbreaking . Mother nature is sometimes intimidating and difficult. Strength and health to the bitch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm so sorry about your litter but glad to know your girl is okay. You have an amazing reputation on this forum and just in general, and I really appreciate your honest response.

The puppies were from different litters over the past few months. I had no reason to believe the breeder had done anything wrong (and, really, it's probably a good sign that they were open about it and provided causes of death). I just know so little about the breeding process and all the work, love, and heartbreak that goes into it that I thought I'd ask about it here, where I could get information from someone experienced with the reality of it in case I was missing something important.

I've spent so much time adoring litters online, and I only recently realized the potential for tragedy in breeding. No different than humans, I guess! Sometimes things just go wrong. Makes me treasure the times things go right even more.

Thanks to everyone! Kisses to all your boxers.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Thanks guys. It was a first for me and hopefully we don’t see it again.

My girl is recovering nicely and who knows, maybe next year we will attempt another breeding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts