Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...It's that time to switch Jetta to a good dog food...we have less than a months normal supply of her old stuff left...and so we  are ready to switch her...We were going to try Merrick...but...we got the sample and she doesn't seem to like it as well as the Canidae...so we are going to try her on that for a few months...and then we'll see...So...today, I mixed in her 1/4 cup of Canidae mixed with her Premium Edge...and normally she will NOT finish her cup of food per meal...today...she finished her full cup and was still wanting more!  I think we have a winner here!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, but she usually would only eat 1/2 a cup to 3/4..then I would top off the previous cup...this time she actually ate a little over a cup...and her being so little, I'm gonna let her for now...the vet said when she met her yesterday "she is soo tiny for her age!"...now I'm concerned lol

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Well that's good that she likes the Canidae better. As for what the vet said, I'm not sure if Jetta is the same way...but Sadie goes through growth spurts, so one day she'll look like a bag of bones and the next she'll look really filled out. So I'm sure with Jetta now eating more with the Canidae she'll be filled out in the next couple of days! If not, then just increase her food by 1/4 over the day or something like that. She is such a little cutie.  :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jetta is ALWAYS a bag of bones...she is 15.8 lbs and 14 weeks old...she has never been filled out or plump...on a good day her hips don't show...but...she grows upwards soo fast and is sooo hyper that I think it's gonna be impossible to fill her up...I'm thinking of leaving the food out the whole time we are home and only picking it up when we leave so cat won't get it...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sophie was about 14 weeks when she finally started eating decent.  Before that she had me pulling my hair out trying different things to get her to eat.  Hope Jetta likes the Canidae and that it works for her.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"45120 said:
Jetta is ALWAYS a bag of bones...she is 15.8 lbs and 14 weeks old...she has never been filled out or plump...on a good day her hips don't show...but...she grows upwards soo fast and is sooo hyper that I think it's gonna be impossible to fill her up...I'm thinking of leaving the food out the whole time we are home and only picking it up when we leave so cat won't get it...
She is probably just a really picky eater. Sounds like she'll do well on the Canidae, like Kate says it took a while for Sophie to start eating well(have you seen her most recent pics? She's looking very healthy and big)...Jetta is probably just the same. Keep us updated on how its going with the switch of foods.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Bo looks like a bag of bones too.  He eats, just doesn't gain weight.  I haven't seen any worms, but I'm having him checked next week at the vet.

People tell me that boxer puppies look really thin a lot of the time.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yes, typically boxer pups are not the rolly polly kind.  I wouldn't recommend free feeding though.  She'll fill out eventually.  They grow up, then out.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am thinking about switching Ty over Canidae.  He has never had a problem with eating all his food, but I think what he is eating now has a lot to do with his "loose stools".  So I am thinking Canidae.  I think he will eat whatever i put in front of him.  He eats normally, but I think he is skinny.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Canidae gave Hoos the runs and he didn't really like it, but I'm in the minority.

Merrick Wild Blend has been great though! He eats it dry and even better when its stirred with warm water. Its been pretty good in helping him get his weight up too. He's still a bit on the skinny side, but its high grade food and he eats it pretty well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jetta has already covered up her little hipbones ma lot more...still skinny but not scary skinny...She still will only eat 1/2 a cup of the cup I give her in the morning...1/2 a cup of the cup I give her in the afternoons...but she will eat 1+ cups in the evening...

she likes it better than the other stuff...but she still has the other stuff...I can't wait to see her when she is fully on Canidae...

On a negative note...my husband was a dummy and decided to throw the canidae bag into the old food...but I stopped him when I saw it...so she is on a 50/50 mix right away instead of a 25/75 mix...but...it hasn't given her the runs yet...and it's been 4ish days...

·
Registered
526 Posts
we put our last dog on canidae because his skin would dry out and get flaky. Canidae is a really good dog food IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Canidae is an excellent choice, I switched Tigger from Royal Canin to Canidae all life stages about 7 months ago. I mix the Canidae All Life Stages at a ratio of 10 cups to 1 with Solid Gold Barking At The Moon. His coat is incredibly soft, and shiny. A perfect site that will help make the decision is dogfoodanalisis.com here all dog foods are ranked from 1 - 6 stars, ingredient contents are available and an overview of the specific food is given. In any case Canadae is a great choice...

kindest regards,

Rich

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It also gave Fiona the runs along with the Blue Buffalo we tried but most dogs do great on it and it is an exceptional food.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Delila to is a picky little eater, at 12 weeks she is 15 lbs and looks all ribs. She won't eat a lot during the day but she eats over a cup at dinner. I have recently started her on pinnicle all life stages and she seems to like it. It is all natural no rice or byproducts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts