Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else boxer suffered with this disease Degenerative myelopathy , my boy is in the early stages he’s still very active but has started dragging his back leg . Please help

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am so sorry your dog has this. I really don't think there are any treatments out there for this, I understand its not painful though, I think some people have gotten wheelchairs made for their dogs. I don't think all dogs will accept this though. I think the best you can do is work with your Vet and make his life as happy as possible enjoy and love him. There are many others on this site who have dealt with this and maybe they will reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your reply hopefully someone will have something on here . Much appreciated
Andrew

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
A friend of mine dog had this. It is a genetic disease of the spinal cord. At first the dog begins dragging a foot or his back legs and it progresses, I am told it is not painful and progresses slowly until the back end of the dog is paralyzed. Eventually though not always they lose control of their bladder/bowel. Many get wheelchairs for the dog and they manage quite well, hers did. I've read that it is similar to a person having ALS. Since this is a genetic disease a good breeder tests for it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A friend of mine dog had this. It is a genetic disease of the spinal cord. At first the dog begins dragging a foot or his back legs and it progresses, I am told it is not painful and progresses slowly until the back end of the dog is paralyzed. Eventually though not always they lose control of their bladder/bowel. Many get wheelchairs for the dog and they manage quite well, hers did. I've read that it is similar to a person having ALS. Since this is a genetic disease a good breeder tests for it.
And it's only a 25.00 test

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
you could ask your vet about "Cartrafen"(spelling ?), it's a non steroid injection that my vet has had very good results with on many dogs. I had a Shepard x Rottweiler who at the age of 10 had a spinal embolism that paralyzed her back end. After about 3 weeks of steroids and holding her up with a towel she regained most of her mobility. Cartrafen shots after that helped her tremendously for 3 more years.
My vet stumbled onto this by chance. I guess the Co. who manufacture it had produced several "duds" in the way of medicine so nobody really tried Cartrafen. One of her friends from Vet school mentioned that she had some success using it as a last resort for dogs with various mobility issues so my vet also started trying it out and had lots of success too. It's usually given as an injection once a week for 4 weeks and in most cases by the second shot the dogs are moving like puppies again. It usually lasts for 6-12 months.

Anyway, maybe ask your vet about it when you take your dog in next time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dog Olive had it. Showed up at 8 years of age. She made it to 10. We tried everything. Massage, hydro therapy, acupuncture and supplements including carprofen. Within a year of being diagnosed she ended up in a wheel chair. After another year of bladder/bowel issues it was time to say goodbye. I'm so sorry your dog has this but it is a terrible disease. To witness the slow decline of your dogs health and mobility is something you shouldn't have to go through which why good breeders test for it. However, testing hasn't been around too long There is no physical pain but the mental anguish they experience is difficult enough. Never would have thought my dog would have accepted a wheel chair but she actually loved it. Still have it in the garage. I would be willing to ship it for a dog in need. Run him as much as you can while he still has his legs under him.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
As per Instructor's recommendation of Cartrafen?? I don't know what that is?? And I had not had heard of it many year's ago when DM ultimately claimed my Struddell at age ten (barely) after 2 years of care ... but I would most certainly look into that!

And I have some information in post 10 of this thread that may be helpful.

And a rather long thread from Boxerworld is here .. I thought I had included in that thread but I missed it so .. trying again.
Thatcher has DM. Anyone use Dwanecart wheelchair? | Boxer World Forums

There is a lot of useful info info in that thread ... but from first hand experience, a Wheelchair and the sooner the better "AND" a full body body harness that also fit's the "Wheelchair," is most helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts