Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I'm assuming Miss Libby has been diagnosed with DM? Have you done spinal X-rays to rule out spondylosis first? There is a genetic DM test that you can order and do yourself, it will tell you if she is at risk, a carrier, or clear.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I'm assuming Miss Libby has been diagnosed with DM? Have you done spinal X-rays to rule out spondylosis first? There is a genetic DM test that you can order and do yourself, it will tell you if she is at risk, a carrier, or clear.
If I get a rescue ... I'll have that test done ... if it's bad news, it would not change anything ... but it would be nice to not get blindsided ... again! :(

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't test a dog unless I intended to breed. Even if the dog comes back "at risk," there is a good chance they will never develop the disease or that it won't be an issue until they are very old. Better not to worry over something that may never happen.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I wouldn't test a dog unless I intended to breed. Even if the dog comes back "at risk," there is a good chance they will never develop the disease or that it won't be an issue until they are very old. Better not to worry over something that may never happen.
There is no right or wrong and you make a good point. Sill ... it's hard to unknow stuff you've learned. :)

And a heads up to owners of White Boxers ... White Dogs don't turn silver as they age ... two on up ... they always look the same. No heads up that your dogs are getting older as time passes. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts