Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Re: how to help dogs communicate - deaf dog help

She will learn so much from Thor and Vetty; my sister and BIL had 4 dalmations (1 purchased, 3 rescued) one of them was deaf and she pretty much followed the lead of the other dogs so they used them alot to get her attention.  They also used sign language with her, they created their own sign language that all the dogs ended up understanding.   I have seen this link posted before in reference to deaf dogs, hope it helps.

http://www.deafdogs.org

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Isis is deaf, so im sure Ky will be a big help.

I have no idea about this

·
Registered
466 Posts

We are looking at a white pup right now. What would be the best way to see if he is deaf? I think it may be easy to tell if it is totally deaf, but what if it can hear on one side? Any way to tell that?

Someone I know said their family member had two dogs, one deaf. And they used sign, and also would tell the hearing dog, "go get your puppy" and she would go get the deaf one, and he would come following behind. (hearing dog was mother to the deaf dog)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

There will be some great advice out there from others with deaf boxers.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Having seen Isis in person, let me tell you, you never would know she is deaf and she is soo protective over Ky's boys, especially Diari...I noticed that she cues off Onyx's responses, maybe she senses vibrations or what, but Onyz will bark, so would Isis...Hand signals work really well, I actually prefer them with mine versus verbal cues..Plus I think Thor & Vetty would be a big help as well....Sounds like a great learning experience for all :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

I have 2 deaf and 2 hearing dogs the deaf ones do watch and learn from the hearing dogs. I use a laser light to call Skye & Storm and use sign language to talk to them. WE use Americam Sign with them and treat them when they get it right positive reinforcement. Most of the time it is a positive because they don't have the distractions hearing dogs have. Feel free to pm me if you have any questiions will be happy to help

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

I would recommend to closely monitor the raw bones right now. If they are having them give everyone a spot (that you designate) and give the bones out in the hierchy order.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

[quote="grammie\";p=\"124253":2fy7lznc]thx nano.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

[quote="grammie";p="124280":37clq3tx][quote="zulu\";p=\"124270":37clq3tx][quote="grammie\";p=\"124253":37clq3tx]
LMAO. . . as soon as i do my daily poop patrol, which is exactly what i call it too, Zulu goes tearing around the place, through the house, up the garden. . .

·
Registered
602 Posts

You know I had the same thuoght when I get winston. How do I do this, which is how and why I found the winderful Community. But they will learn from one another.. Brannon would warn winston and winston would not get it, Brannon got so frustrated at first that he would stand right at winston's ear and Back the loudest he could sometimes "like why can't you listen to me" eventually I think Brannon got it becuase he does not do that anymore and they have come to work well with each other.  Winston also feeds off of visual cues from Brannon, but Winston has pretty good sense with vibration I do believe. We also use hand signals (ASL I found anice website to teach me things so I can use them) and I will flip the porch light on and off if winston is not paying attention to come in at night. But he usally sees me standing at the door and comes running. We are still learning to do the deaf things. And I do talk to him more for the benefit of brannon so like when they are being punished for something Bad brannon knows that both of them are in trouble.  But I still call winston at times becuase your normal things are hard to break. But I am sure you will do great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts