Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Re: star the deaf foster had FILTHY ears!!

I wondered if perhaps she could actually hear after getting her ears cleaned out.

About the ear drops... I don't know. I'd be concerned about using drops that are three years old. Perhaps call a pharmacist to ask for advice.

That little girl is so lucky you found her.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Ace's ears were the same way and he had double ear infections! I would flush his ears and nasty brown goop would come out...

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

isis had goop too when we rescued her but shes stone cold deaf..BUT can feel vibration when Onyx barks even from across the room ..and other dogs..

giving the illusion that she can hear..we KNOW she cant lol..but pretty cool shes know that vibration is a dog barking right away..

we use the vin,water & alcohol mix too..or epi otic liquid..

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

Eeeicckkkkkkkk!!!! 8O  I have Zulus flushed by the vet while he was unders anestetic having his biopsy done, thats for when he had SFA (just to make sure) caus they were always getting dirty.

Is it possible, and i have no idea on this one but have never had a deaf dog, well Zulu has selective hearing but thats it, but once REALLY dirty ears are cleaned and any infection has cleared, is it possible that they might be able to hear a little bit and that was just masked by the dirt and infection?? :?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

You know I was thinking the same thing, possibly her hearing or lack of is related? How great would that be Grammie if maybe she could get some hearing back..I clean all of mines ears once a week with a solution very similair, which reminds me need to start Flick on that as well :)

Grammie, there's a good Sticky topic about what you should have on hand, might want to check it out

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I put the solution on a cotton ball now because Kiah freaks with putting the solution directly in her ears.  It works really well and I do it once every couple of weeks.  Neither has very dirty ears.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Yea if it's still infected she would keep producing gunk, so it should be checked..And I can answer the question about Isis barking, yes she does! With quite a lot of authority :lol: Like Ky said, she seems to get the vibrations from Onyx when he barks and them chimes in, really interesting to watch

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

[quote="grammie\";p=\"125205":1z7f90k9]thx guys!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

I have to clean Maddies ears at least once a week otherwise she'd be itching, itching, itching! I found what works best with her is any cleaner/solution that contains tee tree oil.
I also learned from Sharon that if you take some of the gunk out with a q-tip and put in it on a paper towel, add a drop of water to it, if the towel turns red or pink that means it is ear mites. The brown gunk is actually dried blood and feces from the mites. Grody huh? But, that will tell you if it is mites or not.  :)

·
Registered
913 Posts

I have just used hydrogen peroxide on Ashleys ears, as with a cropped dog, you ALWAYS know when they have dirt! She doen't seem to care when the q-tips come out..and lays down with this HUGE sigh..like " Oh for heavens sake..just get it OVER with! "
Now the nails..no way..the vet did them when she was spayed Wednesday ( lol..on her bill..they actually called it a "Pawdicure"!! n/c of course! ) I won't go near those bad boys, as I refuse to be the bad guy clipping her nails..she can hate the people at the Vet, or Petsmart.
I will tell you there is NOTHING in the world ( well except the anal gland smell ) that equals an infection in a dogs ear..Pheeeeeewww..Ashley had a minor one when she was in full taping after the crop..and man..I love my dog, but couldn't get close...there is no way you would not know an infection..YUCK!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts