Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Our 1 year old boxer Gino has been getting more and more demanding.  We play with him all the time and always show him attention.  The problem is that he demands the constant attention by barking non stop.  He stares at us and barks and barks and barks trying to get us to play.  Sometimes we give in because the barking drives us crazy.  When we have something else to do like using the computer etc.. we try to ignore him but it's hard.  Besides ignoring him, does anyone have any other advice?  Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i put harley in time out for  2 minutes in a seperate room from us... its been a week now and the barking is under control. you could try that

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="Brandi\";p=\"63854":372fv9h6]i put harley in time out for

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Time outs are the best but don't use a crate for that...I take a lead and wrap it around a doorknob for like 5 minutes, works like a charm...Just ignore him, walk away. If after 5 minutes Gino calms down let him off, if he doesn't, let him stay a bit longer....Don't let him control you, which I realize is hard, Angel gets bored at times and will get relentless wanting someone to pay attention to her and what she does is put her front feet in my lap and stare..Nothing like that Boxer stare I tell ya  :)

G

·
0 Posts
lol...we got a second dog...j/k...but...having two really helps them keep each other occupied and gives us a chance to get done what we need to get done

·
Registered
627 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"63881 said:
...having two really helps them keep each other occupied...
I definitely agree!!!  The times that Astro would go back to my boyfriend's dad's house for a week was killer.  Roxy used to demand me to play with her too and now that I have Jersey, when Astro leaves, they keep each other busy.

But, I do agree, the time out in a separate room works wonders.  Just as samsonsmom said, don't use a crate.  I used to put Roxy in the bathroom for 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with the others. A 2-3 min time out works the best. Nothing like ignoring them. They hate it. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
mine are both pretty laid back and quiet so im no help really..but i can say tht you got some wonderful advice..couldnt get any better from people who really do know ...

:D hope it gets better

·
Registered
207 Posts
turn your back and the moment they get quiet, give them the attention. Its a little trickier than timeout, but it worked when Hoosier would get irate. Problem is, now he doesn't bark at all! I used the timeout as a stage II and they also use it at the daycare when dogs act up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts