Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl Penny, she's 7 monthd old, was just diagnosed with a beginner's stage of Demodectic Mange.  She's lost patches of fur in her inner thigh, her coat is dry, tiny bald spots on her and thinning around the eyes. The vet advised that the treatment can get very expensive and can be prolonged if she gets outbreaks. Anyone has experience with this that can provide me with advice? I'm getting worried. Also...any recommendations on pet insurance? :(

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Don't worry - Demo mange is very common in boxer puppies. Four of mine had it as puppies and once it was cleared up, it did not return. There are several options for treatment. The dips are a big pain in the butt but I did those on three of mine. The last one we did the liquid ivermectin and it was a lot less traumatic for the dog and easier on us too. Check with your vet to see if this is an option. I have also heard some folks on here talk about a topical cream to use as well. The liquid ivermectin was about $35-40 and was plenty enough for the whole treatment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much for the advise and I'm going to see the vet in a few days. I'm trying to educate myself on the topic as much as possible and I'm hoping for good advice on the forum. I want to do what's less traumatic for Penny. I can see it when she looks at that something is not right w/ her....almost as if she's trying to tell me... I will keep in touch with a progress update

·
Registered
913 Posts
Good news for you is in most cases a pup under one year of age can be treated, and the mange won't come back. I guess our babies have better immune systems to fight this horrible mite as they age. So..just like Dana said..Dips are a pain..and messy, and smelly, but work..if you have the time to put in to gloving up and doing it yourself..or the vet can do it..I dipped my pup that had it a total of 3 times..and the hair grew back, and she looked great...( I believe the dips make them rather letargic for a day or so..but then again...I was too from trying to put this mess on my dog with out her, or ME ingesting it!! )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts