Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roxies Demodex mange is back again its mostly at the tip of her ears. Last time she had a reaction to the Ivomec injection so we did have to use mitaban which I didnt like but it went away. Well its coming back and I wanna know if theres anything else I can use or try. I dont wanna do the mitaban again.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
If its just localized I would use Advantage Multi. My mothers pug had demodex as a puppy and treated it with Ivermectin, then it came back a year later in just a small spot on her leg and they used Advantage Multi and it took care of it. She now uses this product monthly as a preventative.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Deacon's is localized and the vet gave us promeris. They said it's been discontinued but they'd stocked up on it and still had some left. My vet really seemed to think it was great for treating demodex and was very frustrated that they took it off the market.

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
If a pharmacutical company removed a product from the market then they had to have undeniable reasons to do so. So much money is invested in releasing a product on the market, the only way it would be removed is if there was evidence of serious side effects.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My vet told us it was cut due to the government budget cuts. More money is needed for human medicine so a lot of medicines for animals has been cut out. She was really annoyed with it I could tell, she really liked promeris and would much rather use it than ivermectin. I'm just going by what she told me, though.

If a pharmacutical company removed a product from the market then they had to have undeniable reasons to do so. So much money is invested in releasing a product on the market, the only way it would be removed is if there was evidence of serious side effects.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I just checked it out and promeris was recalled due to adverse reactions just like 2manydogs said. Right again, 2manydogs! hahaha! I won't be giving this to Deacon again and am going to see if my vet will give me my money back for the 2 months worth I haven't used and I'm going to be switching vets. This makes the second time they've put him on a medicine that is known to be dangerous. I love my vet and they're very nice and friendly, but my dog's health is #1 and they aren't living up to my standards anymore. Luckily a new vet opened up 10 minutes from me and I've heard wonderful things about them. I'll be taking Deac there to see what they recommend doing about his mange. Thanks for pointing that out to me, 2manydogs.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info! It wouldnt bother me but its eating her ear and theres tiny pieces gone now (over time) so I need to do something.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol I couldnt find the multi advantage in town I would have to order it but then my vet said Revolution does it too. I got one of those today! Hopefully it works.

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
Revolution does NOT treat or prevent demodectic mange. It only takes care of sarcoptic. Advantage Multi is the only monthly on the market that has studies to prove it is effective against demodex.

Hopefully you havent used it and can return it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I use advantage multi as well for worming (except for tape worm- as it is not effective in this case). I also use it reliably on one of my girls as she has issues with Demo. mange when she is off of it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 19 of 19 Posts