Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been to see the vet because Freddie has developed something on his chin - I originally thought it was because he was gnawing away on his bone and the bone was rubbing on his chin. I woke up this morning though and there were drops of blood on his sleep-blanket so I thought we better go to the vet and get it checked.

Unfortunately I didn't take him so I can only relay what my Mother told me! He said it could be some kind of demodex but also said it could be hair that's ingrown. Does that make any sense? I had a quick look for demodex on this forum and am led to believe that it's demodectic mange but my Mother said he never mentioned mange.

I've attached a photo of the problem - which because it's really close up looks really bad! It doesn't always look as red and raw as it does in the pic.

He's given us the following:
Medrone Tablets (4mg one a day)
Noroclav Tablets (250mg one twice a day)
Advocate 250 (one pipette every 28 days)

Does all sound good - I know the vet probably knows best but I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and what the outcome was.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Re: Demodex?

Gosh it does look sore in the picture.  Maybe when Sharon gets back she can give you more information on the meds.  Hope he heals quickly.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

Poor Freddie :(  That does look sore.

If i was you id just stick to treating with the vet meds youve been given. :roll: Im sure the vet wouldnt mind if you called and just clarified the diagnosis if you're unsure :)

Sharon is really good, im sure when she is back she will take one look and tell you what it is and whats best to treat it :D

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

Yeah know what you mean, Zulu had a sore on his nose and i took a pic, teamed with the flash and lense it looked like it was about to fall off :lol:  :lol:

Vets bills. . . .hmmmmmm. . .but what can you do, they charge a fortune nowadays!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Demodex is the bane of my existance.  I have no idea if Autumn is getting better or worse, what's working, what's not...it's terrible.

I'm surprised your vet didn't do a skin scraping if he thought it was demodex.  I do have to say though, that doesn't look like demodex to me...it's at a pretty advanced stage when it starts to bleed and scab, and you would have noticed a great deal of hair loss by that point.  I'm not saying to rule it out, but for your sake I really hope that it isn't!  Demodex sucks.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

I doubt that's Demodex.  I have a white boxer, and she can get the same stuff.  More than likely, it's a bacterial infection.  We feed ours from stainless dishes and wash them regularly.  One other thing I've noticed is our two love rope bones.  If you don't toss em after a week or two, that can contribute.  It could also be a food allergy.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Demodex is usually in more spots than one and it's patchy hair loss in areas around the head/eyes and neck (to start).
This is a good link to find out more
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_de ... mange.html

Looks like an infection or acme. Do you clean the food/water bowls daily?

Sophia go a raw chin like that as pup from digging her face in the snow in the winter and digging her face in marrow bones too. I just keep the area clean with peroxide and pup neosporin on her before bedtime (so she would not lick it off in her sleep).

You can always go to the vet to get it looked at and get a scrap.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Maverick has that right now on his lips and his chin..it's gross but it's probably acne or a bacterial infection...i try really hard to wash his face and keep it clean and dry and they are now starting to dry up and scab over. OH was told he could help by expressing them but it's so gross as well (popping pimples)...i just clean them and wash his bowls. I paid 80$ the first time it showed up for an antibiotic shot.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Fredo has the exact same thin..i was actually going o take him to the vet this week. I thought it was from him and the puppy play biting....Let us know what you find out

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

FREDOSMOM\";p=\"126049 said:
Fredo has the exact same thin..i was actually going o take him to the vet this week. I thought it was from him and the puppy play biting....Let us know what you find out
Yep, will do - I'll call the vets tomorrow and then I've got to take him back next Tuesday, after he's finished his medication.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well that scared me a bit! I went to the vet and the actual vet that treated Freddie was unavailable so the receptionist could only say what was on his notes and all that was written was Juvenile Pyoderma (Puppy Strangles) which after looking at a few sites sounds pretty awful. With that said Freddie doesn't seem to show any signs such as accute swelling of the face, including lips, eyelids, chin and muzzle. Ummm.

·
Registered
105 Posts

When Zu was little she got something simular, come to find out it was her plastic bowl she ate and drank out of.  We changed owver to stainless steel and she has had no more problems.  If you use plastic bowls you might wanna try stainless to see if it helps.
-Rich

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

[quote="1boxer\";p=\"126546":1qc8hx58]When Zu was little she got something simular, come to find out it was her plastic bowl she ate and drank out of.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

sharonL\";p=\"126614 said:
I dont see anything in the pic you posted that would make me think he has Puppy Strangles.............
No, neither do I! Do you still think the course of medication he's been put on is still okay? Should I just continue with this for the course of the medicine (7 days) and see what he has to say when I take him back next Tuesday?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Donya\";p=\"126006 said:
Maverick has that right now on his lips and his chin..it's gross but it's probably acne or a bacterial infection...i try really hard to wash his face and keep it clean and dry and they are now starting to dry up and scab over. OH was told he could help by expressing them but it's so gross as well (popping pimples)...i just clean them and wash his bowls. I paid 80$ the first time it showed up for an antibiotic shot.
This is exactly what is happening with Tyson right now. Exactly!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

[quote="1boxer\";p=\"126546":qpwm8kcj]When Zu was little she got something simular, come to find out it was her plastic bowl she ate and drank out of.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts