Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...we've been depending on our vet...but I figured it was time to ask the experts now.  Here's the run down to get everyone up to speed:

Layla came down with a few small spots of what was diagnosed with demodex...yippie.  It started with a few small spots on her snout and around her eyes.  The DVM gave us goodwinol ointment and ivermectin for the demodex and an antihistimine in case she got itchy.  This was back around Feb 2nd.

We went back for a recheck on Feb 26th.  By this time we had gotten areas around her snout and eyes under control, but it has started to spread under her mouth and a little under her neck...and she started scratching quite a bit.  DVM gave more of the same and wanted to recheck in another week.

Recheck rolls around on March 5th...by this time the scratching had gotten worse and she was developing some leisons/scabbing under her neck, additionally she started to show signs of the demodex under her front legs (arm pits).  DVM gave more goodwinol, ivermectin, a different antihistimine, an antibotic, and sulfoxydex shampoo for the leisons.  She also said she would consider a dip, but couldn't do that until the leisons were cleared up....recheck in another week.

Recheck this week on March 11th...not much improvement and actually a bit worse under the arms and spreading down her neck.  DVM gave more of all the above but also added prednisone to help boost the antihistimine and get the itching/scratching under control.

Well here we are today...3 days later and while the itching has gotten better/stopped, the skin is getting worse.  The demodex, presuming that's what is still wrong, has developed into red bumps and looking pretty nasty under her front legs and on her neck.

There are a couple of things I'm worried about (other than the fact this is making me nuts):
1.  Are we perhaps treating the wrong thing
2.  Are the bumps maybe a reaction to the steroids (prednisone)

It should be noted that during all this she has not shown any signs of "being sick"...she is her usual playful, knucklehead self and other than the scratching this has not seemed to bother her or slow her down.

I've attached some pictures I took this evening and hope that someone can give us some advice, steer us in the right direction, or just tell us demodex sucks and this is all part of it working its course.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Oh wow, that looks really itchy. Looks like an allergic reaction to something.

Has she been checked for sarcoptic mange?  Demodex usually doesn't cause that much itching just hairloss.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree that looks like an allergic reaction under the arms.  Could be to the Pred or the Shampoo......However it can be a combo of many things....Generally what causes them to scratch more is that you are treating them and the mites are moving causing the increase in scratching.  I have antihistimine usually help, I prefer Temeril-P to Pred's ...If there are lesions I usually use Cephalexin to clear them faster.

IMO if they spots are spreading...that they started at a few and the goodwinoil helped but they moved to other places, I would use the dip.  It is the fastest way to treat the entire body.  It gets a bad rap sometimes and I agree it makes them feel "sleepy" the day of and sometimes the day after, but it works!  The other thing is that I have seen the Ivermectin work when used orally, but I have seen it work much faster when it is given as an injection...

If she were mine...this is what I would do.....use Neosporin under the arms to control the heat in the rash, keep her on the antihistimine and drop the pred or (or get Temeril-P) to control the itch, put her on cephalexin to clear the skin and then start the dips as soon as possible.....

Talk to your vet and see what they think.....The other side is yes this is all part of treating Demo and it is a "witch" sometimes to deal with, but it can be done!!!!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Aww poor Layla...that looks so sore and painful! Hope you can get to the bottom of it and get it cleared up soon!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That does look painful I hope you guys can get it figured out.  Duke had demodex but not that bad.  Good luck.  Give her a hug from Duke and I.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Poor baby!!! my boxer that had Demodex was put on the treatment Sharon suggested. She was dipped ( the one and only thing that seemed to help ) and I had to give her antihistimes, and use neosporin on the really red areas.
I will tell you..dipping is NOT for wimps..the stuff STINKS!! She got her first dip at the vet, and I did the rest at home. With gloves to my elbows, and (lol) eye protection, along with a outfit I was prepared to toss out. This can be controlled is the good news...it just looks awfull for quite a while.
I Don't know about you, but I got the crawlies everytime I worked on her..thinking abut those mites jumping off onto me...ewwww..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Still fighting demodex with Cooper.  He's still just taking oral ivermectin.  Just went to the vet yesterday, actually.  He had a severe reaction to the mitoban dip when he was younger (according to previous owner and vet), but our vet seems to think he can handle it now.  Especially since his skin has cleared up and he's older.  She's given me the OK to neuter which sometimes helps.  He had so many open sores when I got him that dipping was out of the question.  If another month doesn't knock it out, then we'll do the mitoban as well.

If you get creeped out thinking about the demodex mites, just remember that pretty much ALL dogs have the same mites, and that YOU have the human version of the mites on you right now!!!  Sleep tight!  Hehe.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Thats always a nice thought.  If you get discouraged just look at Cooper....48dodge has done a great job with him.  He looks so good, I still can't believe its the same dog.

·
Registered
362 Posts
And I agree the red bumps looks more like an allergic reaction to something.  For the first few weeks with Cooper, we kept him on benadryl 24 hours a day mainly to keep him from itching his chin which was bleeding.  I use the same shampoo with Cooper.  It really helped clean his pores out and clear out the flaking and dead skin, but it could be the cause of a reaction.  If I remember correctly it has both sulfur and benzoyl peroxide as the active ingredients.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
YOu have gotten some great advice..All I can add is how badly I feel for you all...Poor Layla, that lokos nasty, but does look more like a reaction to me as well.....Keep us posted on how she does

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice and the words of encouragement from everyone.  I'll be sure to pass the love on to Layla!

I sent the same pictures to the DVM via email last night before I posted here.  Talked to the DVM this AM and she seems to think it is an allergic reaction to either the antibiotic (smztmp) or the prednisone...personally I think it is the pred since it is the most recent addition to the equation...but I'm not the Dr.

So the orders are now to stop the smztmp, we'll step down off the pred (said we can't stop just cold turkey), and stop the goodwinol.  Are to continue with the clemastine, ivermectin, and start using a GenOne Spray (Gentamicin Sulfate with Betamethasone Valerate) instead of the goodwinol...we've used the spray in the past when she had some other minor skin irritations.  She wants us to see how that goes and give her an update tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again to everyone who had suggestions...I'll keep you posted.

BTW...here's a pic of how cute she is when she doesn't have bumps!  I've not made one of those little signature picture thingies yet, so have to just attach the picture.

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
I was going to mention about weaning off prednisone...not good to stop cold turkey...I've been on it for months and have been weaning half that time, lol...she'll be much happier when that pred is out of her system....horrible stuff!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts