Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy just had the mitoban dip yesterday and i know that it is common for her to act strange after that i was just wondering how long it usually takes after the second dip for her to become her normal self again. Also last night she got really itchy and when she started scratching she almost made herself bleed i asked my vet about it and she said it was due to the mites dying i was wondering if that is normal

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is normal for them to act like they feel bad after being dipped.  The will be sleepy and just act like they dont feel good.  Normal self again???? You are wondering how long it will take for the condition to subside?  I have seen it in one dip and I have seen a dog have to have several dips (5 or 6).  It all depends on how bad the case is.
I do not use Mitoban dip for the treatment of demodectic/red mange because I have found greater success through other routes, but this is a very common dip.  It is true that once dipped they will scratch it is from the mites moving and dying off.  Alot of times the vet will give you something to take at home to help..... my favorite for this is Temeril-P, if it keeps up past the second day after dip give your vet a call and see if they can RX you some or something similiar.

Good luck and by the way Welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks a bunch her case wasn't the worst i've heard of so hopefully she will be done after the second dip

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just came across this post.   Lulu was diagnosed with "puppy mange."   We thought it was just dry skin in one of her "crinkles" in her head.   Never thought anything of it.   Took Lulu in for shots and Vet said she had to have 3 dips.   First dip she seemed to do OK --- second dip, she was not herself for 2 days.   Very sleepy, didn't want to play.   I had no idea that this dip did this to them.

Hopefully, this next dip will be Lulu's last.   She was not a happy girl last time.  We felt so bad.  Thought she was just scared from being at the vet all day with all the loud barking dogs.    :(

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The dip can make them feel bad because when it comes does to it, it's a pesticide.  But, it does work and hopefully there wont be a reaction on the 3rd one.  I generally fien the reaction is to the second.  As long as she is not vomiting and refusing to eat afterwards things should be okay....they just want to sleep.  I know how it feels to watch them though because I went through it with Fiona as well.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sharon - I wonder why more vets don't use the ivermectin route??? I know it is not FDA approved for treating demodex but it sure did work...The Boxer rescue was using it for Lucy when we got her and we continued. I think it is a lot less traumatic on the pup after seeing how my past three boxer w/ mange did the dip route.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got Cooper on ivermectin.  Can't compare it to the dips since I haven't had him dipped, but I can say that the ivermectin isn't without it's side effects.  Since Cooper's demo was so bad when we got him he's had to take a pretty strong dose.  I just increased it by one "notch" (about 30% more than before) to try to knock it out.  For several days after the increase he was pretty tired.  Also, he hates the taste.  He'll start blowing bubbles when I call him into the kitchen for the medicine.  And you've got to be careful since it seems that it'll bleach some fabrics.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Cooper looks fantastic BTW! He really did have a bad case. Lucy had just a few spots that were hard to notice so that might be the reason for no adverse side effects on our end. But then she also had Giardia and kennel cough along with it so we might not have noticed she was acting an more sluggish due to the ivermectin.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks! I keep trying to get a good shot of him with my good camera.  He won't sit still long enough for my phone camera to get a good picture!  He always looks like a brown blur.  
I know he's sick of taking this stuff.  His last skin scrape I thought we'd be able to stop with the ivermectin, but the vet still found 2 dead mites.  So not only does he have to take it for at least another month, but I increased the amount on him.  I think it's working because his hair did thin out in a few spots a little after the increase.  Just remembered another side-effect after the increase.  If he ate a full 2 cups of food in one sitting he'd puke it up about 15 minutes afterwards.  This only lasted about a week.  He still needs a little bit more weight before I'll be happy with his size.  It'll come though.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Skylar\";p=\"80709 said:
Sharon - I wonder why more vets don't use the ivermectin route??? I know it is not FDA approved for treating demodex but it sure did work...The Boxer rescue was using it for Lucy when we got her and we continued. I think it is a lot less traumatic on the pup after seeing how my past three boxer w/ mange did the dip route.
I dont know.  I guess maybe lack of understanding how well it works.  They cant even really hold back on the FDA approval because there are so many crossover drugs that do not carry "dog" stickers.

My personal favorite in treating demodex is to do Ivermectin injections.  It is soooooo much easier then having to squirt it in the mouth....but, bout routes work really well....

The dip is the original and old stand by and by all accounts has worked for YEARS.....so they stick with it.  I did not find out about the IVM injection route and dosage until abotu 2 years ago.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Both my pups had d-mange.  From all my research those dips are nasty and most vets no longer do them.  We used Ivermectin for 60 days - they took it orally (I squirted it on a small piece of bread).  We also still give them Missing Link and 1 egg a week to help with immune system and hair regrowth.  They are beautiful now.

Good luck - I really would stay away from the dips especially if your dog acts differently after it's done - that doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
362 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"81123 said:
[quote="48Dodge\";p=\"80930":3lz8r8fy]What's the dosage on ivermectin injections?  Frequency?
It goes by weight on dose but it is once a week for 4 weeks[/quote:3lz8r8fy]

I may have to do that if he has a flare up, which he very well could since it's taking so long to get rid of it.  The oral medication is so cheap, though.  Works out to about $1.50/day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts