Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 month old box, he first got demodex when he was about 3 or 4 months old.  We put this lotion on it that we got from our vet and it went away.  It just came back about a week ago only in one spot on his face, before he had about 3 spots two on his neck and one close to his back legs.  We are putting the lotion on it again and this other cream the vet gave us.  Here is my question.

I love my dog and no matter what I will not give him back to the breeders.  But we have a 1 year health guarentee, and since this is because his immune system can't fight it off, they have to cover the costs of the treatment.  So far it hasn't been that expensive but if the demodex doesn't go away he will have to get dipped, this will cost around $200.00.  Which is fine if he gets it done before the year is up.   If it does go away, does anyone know the likely-hood of it coming back after he is a year old?  I just don't know weither to say, ok this is a problem we need to work out a different arrangement since it is a genetic defect or ask for part or all of my money back.   If this is the case I am worried they will want the dog back, and if that happens then I guess i will just be out money because Duke is my baby and I couldn't imagine being without him.  And because him being affected by the demodex because of his immune system problem, will we have health problems later on?  If so is there something that we can do to boost his immune system.  Any help would be great.  I just don't know what to do.  I mean I will do anything for Duke, but as far as the breeders go, do I ask for a new contract or do I try to get some of my money back if this problem is going to continue after a year.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Puppies have a weak immune system.   To build my dogs up, I add in fish oils to their food in a couple of ways.  Sometimes I drizzle a bit of salmon oil on their kibble, other times I add in Sardines packed in water to their kibble.  

I also add-in a couple of drops of the echinacea drops that I got at GNC.   Hanna had a little mouth infection that I treated holistically and when the vet said it would go away 2-4 months, it was gone in 2-3 weeks.  So I think building up an immune system with proper diet can have great benefits on the overall health of your dog.

What are you feeding now?  

As for the breeder - it depends.  I would definately tell them about the situation because it can be genetic, as well as environmental.   They should want to know due to the fact that they should alter their breeding program esp if any of the other littermates came down with this.   Also they should offer to cover some cost because I am sure you will not give the dog back for a replacement pup.  However, it depends on the breeder.  Your ligit rep. breeders will totally work thru it with you and find a common ground to get their breeding program correct and your dog healthy.  Some less than rep you may find less than happy to help or cover cost - but I hope they will be there for you in the Demox battle.  

Just be honest.   Tell them its your dog, you love him but need and asking for assistance to get him healthy.   From that you will normally see what kind of response you will get - and hope its a posititive one!!!    Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am feeding him eukenuba (sorry I know that is spelled wrong).  He is generally a happy puppy but I think because he got into a car accident with his daddy :( the stress of it all brought it back on.  He was ok just alittle scared.  But he is back into the car and happy again.  

They took care of the costs last time, I don't think they will have too much of a problem taking care of it again I'm just worried it will come back after he turns one.  He is spoiled rotten :) and I do believe we are going to try and find him a seatbelt to keep him a little more secure in the car so hopefully he won't have to much stress but I know anything can cause stress to an animal so we are a little worried about it.  

But thanks for your help.  We already have some fish oil so I will try that.  I will get some echinacea drops, should I just use it while he has the demodex?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Vitamin C is also needed to boost immune system.

Sadiesmomma - Yep in a capsule form.  Here is info from  www.onlynaturalpet.com

Omega 3, 6, 9 is an advanced multi-fatty acid supplement for dogs and cats available in a soft gel capsule. Omega 3, 6, 9 is a blend of natural oils from Borage seed, Flaxseed and Fish. Omega 3, 6, 9 provides a healthy balance of essential fatty acids and fatty acids that are critical to total body health. These fatty acids play a vital role in the structure of cell membranes, help to maintain healthy skin and coat, support the immune system, and promote proper growth and development of the nervous system. Cats cannot convert LA to GLA because they lack the enzyme that is required for the conversion; it is therefore essential to supplement cats with a source of GLA.

As a "multi" fatty acid product, Omega 3, 6, 9 will help restore the appropriate ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids. Daily supplementation with GLA , ALA , EPA, and DHA is the best way to ensure that the cat or dog receives the health-protecting benefits of essential fatty acids.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would advise taking a look at a human grade kibble.  You may see some great results by making a switch.   Euk has a lot of fillers and alergyns that I am sure given the situation little Duke does not need.  

I would first start with the diet.  Maybe change up - upgrade quality of kibble.  If he is not on any meds, then I would say the echinacea would be ok, but consult a vet or maybe Sharon can chime in on if there are any effect to use while on meds.   I tend to think it will be fine, but better safe than sorry.  

Thats great they took care of the cost.    I think if you get a good diet, and some good immune boosters, hopefully (fingers crossed) you can nip it in the butt!   I am not a vet, but do think a majority of health issues can be avoided thru proper diet.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
HananaBanana- We take the 3/6/9 capsules so we have a huge bottle, but I didn't even think of them for Sadie...So one capsule a day would do then? Sounds like it would be great to boost her immune system.

Duke-Hopefully the supplements help and keep his demodex at bay.  It's great that he will actually go back in the car again, poor thing...that must have really scared him!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
[quote:t6joe9sq] HananaBanana- We take the 3/6/9 capsules so we have a huge bottle, but I didn't even think of them for Sadie...So one capsule a day would do then? Sounds like it would be great to boost her immune system.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What brand of food do you think would be the best? Duke is our baby so we want the best for him.  Thank you so much for the help and kindness.  Duke is such a character.  I didn't know how much I wanted a boxer before we got Duke, now I wouldn't get anything else.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would select anything human grade kibble.  

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=659

To decide  -  www.dogfoodanalysis.com  

has a great rating system for ingredients.  For those who really dont know squat about ingredients, they break it down in a great elementary way.  

It all depends on what kind of stores you have around you.  Petco & Petsmart carry a couple of decent kibbles  - (Nutro Ultra, Royal Canin, Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo ) but I think they tend to bump up the price a bit since these are their best foods.  If you do some further research to littler feed stores or more specialty pet stores, you can find Canidae, Chix Soup, Merrick for a little less per bag than some of the good stuff at the commerical stores:)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"40505 said:
So do some research on it, and sure you will find some answers.
The capsules we have are massive, so from what I've been reading I'll give about 1/3 of a capsule every other day...I may try that Timberwolf salmon oil, but I have no idea where I would get it..I don't think they sell it anywhere around here. I may have to order online.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
...I may try that Timberwolf salmon oil, but I have no idea where I would get it..I don't think they sell it anywhere around here. I may have to order online
Salmon oil is salmon oil in my book.   Trader Joe's or any natural health store will have it, and its the same thing.   Even cod liver oil is good.  Heck, I prefer a nice can of sardines mashed in the kibble.  Yum-a-Roo my dogs think - not so yum is morning kisses with fish breath!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I must agree with her $200 for a dip???  What all did that include.  
I of course have opinions about this subject, but I have got to go back to work....I will post tonight after I get Home :-(

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She told me that she would have to do it 5 times and its about $40.00 per dip.  We cleared it up the first time with lotion and hopefully this time it will clear up with the lotion again.  I mean I'm not too worried about the cost at this point because I have the year health guarentee, I mean I don't want to have to have the breeders pocket out that much either.  I think I'm going to try and switch him food and try the other stuff that was suggested.  Plus it will make him a healthier puppy anyway.  But thanks for the heads up.  I love my vet and she is usually pretty reasonable.  Plus everyone at the vet loves Duke.  I don't think I've ever seen a dog love going to the vet as much as he does.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Oh okay....That is for the whole series....so that is about right.....$40 per dip....
I am sure that the food change would help you and Hanna is right a good food and some supplimental things like fish oil to boost the immune system will help.  The other side of it is the deal with the breeder and again Hanna is right on that one too a good breeder should work with you.  

It all depends on how they want to handle it because you can not be told or promised that he will not have an outbreak after a year of age, because he could.

I am in the middle of a big debate here where I live about this very subject and topic to the point that I am in court about it.  An owner has filed in court for exactly what you are going through. They do not want to return the dog but they do want the purchase price refunded to them to place in a fund for covering furture vet bills. They also purchased the female to breed and have been advised to spay....It is a big old mess.  We go back to court on the 25th so we will see how it comes out for everyone. These are $1700 English Bulldog pup's, so it is a great expense for the breeder.....However the paper they provided at the time of purchase also stated a 1 year "warranty", did not exclude demodectic mange and the owners do not want another puppy since all puppies from this female could produce it as well... The pups are only 5 months old right now.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I agree Demox is a breeder's nightmare!!!   All dogs affected really should be altered.   Passing on this nasty disease is not recommended; any any breeder with it present in their program should go to arms length to correct the issue.  

Hence many will never give back their pup regardless of any "health guarantee, or waranty" so basically the waranty is only as good as the breeder who is giving it.   And educated breeder will and should  be your best asset in the battle of Mange or any genetic disease.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When we got Duke we got him for a pet so luckly we aren't out any money that way.  And they were good about paying for the costs last time.  I just don't want to have alot of vet bills later on down the road.  But like you said, why would I get a replacement pup, plus I couldn't give Duke back.  Duke has such a personality.  The looks he gives you when he wants something, if I don't feed him when its dinner time, he follows me around and howls at me.  Like come on mom its dinner time.  I will tell him papa is on his way home and he will sit at the door until he gets home.  Its so sweet.  Don't get me wrong I love my other dog but Duke has a special place in my heart.  I couldn't give him back.  I would rather be out money then have to give him away.  

All the help I have been getting is great though.  Its nice to have a place to turn to when you are unsure.  

Thank you to all of you :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts