Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Dempsey went to his third week of training and was doing great for the first 45 mins, during the training class he even won a toy for coming in first place. During the training session the trainer was showing how to trim dog nails and she cut him twice. there are a few things that have been happening since last week with Dempsey, he attacked my wife in the car ride home from training last week.

The trainer doesnt want them feeding Dempsey before he comes to class, but his normal feeding times are 6 am and 6 pm, I think he gets so hungry during class that he just goes bananas towards the end of class.

Need help, please

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
During the training session the trainer was showing how to trim dog nails and she cut him twice
Ummm, if she cut him twice, then I dont think she should be giving instructions on how to cut nails.  Was it his fault as in being too wiggly?  if so, then at home practice touching his paws and rubbing them.    By paying attention to them (paws) all the time, you will make him more comfortable when it comes to trimming them.  Not common for dogs to freak out when getting nails trimmed but if you start right away with paying attention to the paws, its easies their fear of feet being touched.

Not sure of the events of the training and why he would react the way he did, unless there were specifics that are not listed in the post.

As for the feeding.  We never feed the dog before training class, even if its schedules before hand.  Dogs will work for food / reward.  In the hungry state, you could train with plain kibble, and they will hopefully respond.  

Even at home, my dogs always have to do something to get their breakfast or dinner.  Whether a simple sit stay until I place the bowls down or a paw,  or speak.   Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
How old is Dempsey?  When Lola was 14 or so weeks she would go nuts in the car.  Nipping and growling.  I thought she was crazy!  Turns out she was always trying to tell me something...she had to go potty, or she didn't feel good, or she was hungry.  She was little so she didn't know how to communicate these things just yet.  I would make sure you keep Dempsey in the back seat, when Lola went nuts I used to let her come up front but that only made it worse because she could get to me easily.  Trust me....I had to pull the car over a few times.  I ended up buying a barrier on dog.com...you connect it to your front seats so the dog can't get up front.  As for the trainer...if she cut him then I don't blame him for getting upset.  Did she ever give a reason for not wanting him fed?  If Lola has a 9am training session, I still fed her at her usual 7:30/8am feeding time.  If he's hungry he's going to be searching for food and not paying attention.  I'm no expert though...just some advice from experience!  Good luck with everything, hope some of this helps!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will look into it, he goes on three walks a day, plus has a 45 min play session with the great dane puppy next door twice a day, then gets his kong and practices his training at home with wife twice a day for about 20 mins each session

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I give snacks throughout the day.  Peanutbutter with small broken up pieces of dog treats in Kong toys and yogurt with fruit, as well as doggy pb cookies and chicken treats.  Sometimes if they are acting like they are really hungry - I will give them some kibble to tied them over, especially if they have been playing really hard outside.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Also I am not a certified trainer but if my dog were to bite me, then right at that second, I would sever them with a timeout.  Our timeout are used when any of our dogs have done unacceptable behavior.  I take their leash, attach it to their collar and put the handle around the door handle and walk away giving no attention for about 2-3 minutes.  

Its part of our structure, but may not necessarilty work for everyone.  I think with training every trainer is different as is every dog and behavior.  You have to find one or the thing that works for you and your situation.   So many replies to a thread like this maybe able to help you with what your dealing with.  If not, then my opinion would be to consult a behaviorist in the worst case seniero.  However you pup is young, and think immediate attention to the matter can help greatly:)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I give snacks throughout the day.  Peanutbutter with small broken up pieces of dog treats in Kong toys and yogurt with fruit, as well as doggy pb cookies and chicken treats.  Sometimes if they are acting like they are really hungry - I will give them some kibble to tied them over, especially if they have been playing really hard outside
Me too, my dogs get tons of things.  But they work for it.  I am sure yours do too, but by making them work for each and every treat, you are putting you in control of the dog, not the dog barking looking hungry and then you feeding it - thats the dog controling you:)

My dogs totally respect me and do what I say, cannot say much for J.  He is a pushover and they know it.   They walk all over him.   I tell him he needs to earn their respect if you control the resources IMO you control the dog:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts