Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier today about Gino, our 10 month old boxer.  He was doing great for 5 months in his crate.  All I had to say was "get in your crate" and he would run right in.  I moved in with my g/f into a new apartment last week.  Over the last 5 days he has been really stressed.  Refusing to go into the cage, we would have to force him so we could go to work.  Over the last few days he has been trying to get out.  The crate's bars were bending and I'd have to hammer them back each night.  Today I came home from work to find him out of the cage.  The bed was destroyed, 4 pairs of shoes destroyed, the crate was bent into pieces, and he went poop in 2 rooms.  I'm out of my mind at this point.  I went to Petsmart and decided to buy one of those travel crates.  They are thick plastic and held together with scews...very sturdy and no bars to bend.  Does anyone have any good stories about these types of crates??  I hope!!  Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We used one with our lab/shepard mix, he got to 70lbs and it worked well.. he chewed on it, but never was able to break it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
dogs are alot like kids. when a big change happens they rebel and will act out. We moved when our daughter was 2 and she was almost potty trained, but when we moved, she refused to go on the potty for months. That to say, you are probably going to have to retrain him and give him extra attention until he adjusts.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just an idea, but we use kongs filled with peanut butter and frozen for ours when they go in their crates.  Sounds like your baby is under a lot of stress and having some separation anxiety as a result.  The kongs (specially when frozen) keep them busy anywhere from a half hour to an hour upon us leaving and they are calmed by the time they finish them.  

I am sure many others will make suggestions too to help you along....I hope it is all useful!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem and I don't really have any answers for you.  I just hope he gets settled in and gets over the insecurity he is feeling in the new place.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
aww poor little guy..hes freaked out...maybe spend this weekend playing games on and out of the crate? put something of yours like a tshirt in it? a kong like they said....i know you must have walked in like uhmm wow am i really seeing this?...

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yep, sounds like you gotta start over with the training.  We have one of those big travel crates for Henry.  It's his bed, so he goes in there every night to sleep.  We took it with us a couple of times for vacations, works great.  We got it when we got him.  It's for up to 90 pounds of dog.  Henry was only 20 pounds when we got him, but we didn't know how big he would get.  Now he's 14 months and only 58 pounds.

Poor little guy.  Good luck with him!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice.  And you're right.  When I walked in and he greeted me at the door when he should have been in his crate I knew we were going to have problems.  I went out last night and purchased one of those travel crates.  It's pretty big, up to 80lb dog.  We'll see what happens.  I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My last dog had a travel crate and it was his special place.  It was great because it was so portable and I could put it in the SUV when traveling.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think the plastic one should work well. I got it cos it has a better lock, no way for Samson to escape...Yes, he has chewed on it a bit, but it holds up very well....Nothing worse than walking in & your boxer greets you when he should be in his crate....When Samson did that I thought "oh my god, what has he done?" Tore a hole in the lineoleum, scratched the heck out of the front door, pulled the curtains down....Pure separtation anxiety, he thought he was being left, again....Definitely take an old shirt of yours and put it in the new crate, he needs your scent. A Kong would be good as well...I am sorry that this happened, be patient, give him time to adjust to the new enviroment and try and wear him out some as well, that always helps... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts