Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im new here.
Ive got 14 months male boxer named Bollo. Hes gorgous and well behavied but. . . . . . hechews everything in our house when we are away, he has already eaten : three sofas, two armchairs, two tv remote controlers, lot of candles, coffee table, door to our wardrobe and much, much more.
We have tried everythings: various toys, music all day long, pheromones, "get off" sprays, when we locked him in our bed room for couple hours he almost scratched out hole in the wall.
He destroys our house and he is dangerous to himself.
Any advices?
Please help.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Crate train him.  I never thought I'd be the kind of dog owner that put them in a crate BUT it really is for their own good.  I can't imagine what I would do if I came home from work to find that one of my babies had eaten something that might have risked their life! Better safe than sorry.  

They come to see their crate as their "own little home" and actually like to go in there.  Throw a kong in there, maybe a yummy treat and I assure you they will sleep most of the day anyway.  

Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Agree with the crate training! Before I was a doggy owner I heard of people doing that, I was like awwww...sounds mean....Pffttt whatever, now I have Ace and am educated! I left him in the house alone 1 time. He ate everything too. Candles were the worst part. My house smelled like pumpkin spice for a month! He had gotten everywhere and even somehow opened our coat closet and got a coat down and put wax all over it 8O !! The candles were on top of a table and he was just a pup! I have no idea how he managed all that in the hour we were gone! He must have been flying around like spiderman :roll: . But....I learned my lesson! We crated him! Now he is already getting better and staying out of stuff when I let him roam free(while we are here). I love him, just still don't trust him alone yet!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I ve been thinking about it but He is queit old for this things and I m worry that may change his personality and he might become agrresive or something. I also dont know how to do this. Slowly or do this quick, try every day for couple minutes and then leave him there for longer? What if he wont like it?
I m realy dont want to do this. its so upseting. I m asking myself why does he do it? What have I done wrong. Does he miss me and my partner or he is unhappy and lonely.....  :cry:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I also think crate training is teh way to go, I know my puppy would cause herself some serious harm if I left her free roaming.  It is possible to teach and older dog new stuff, as long as you introduce it in a positive way, put a dog bed in it or something cozy some chew toys, you can feed him in there to get him to see it as a positive thing, never use the crate as a punishment, and make sure he gets a good walk to tire him out before being left in the crate.  I believe there are stickies in the training section about this with more info.   good luck :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
my dog is crate trained and still eats everything when he is out i do not want him crated all day and night literally he would be in there 24 hrs a day? (sorry not trying to steal your thread but would like more info on this if any exists)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Long walk before you leave  - a tired dog is a happy dog.  I put my little guy in daycare two days a week to tired him out - if not he chews.   so by him being tired, he just sleeps and does not find himself bored full of energy.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Sounds like a 5150 is in order. Sorry..lol...Ohman. How could I have forgotten about the CANDLES being eaten?? Seriously--some of the stuff Bibby has done, I've blocked out. It was that bad.

Crate. Oh yes. Crate.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think all boxers are prone to some destruction when bored, but that level of destruction could hint toward possible separation anxiety.  There are exercises you can work on to gradually get him used to being alone, I would search the board archives for "anxiety" and you'll find some good threads.  In the meantime I'd probably try the crate while you're working on that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The crate is the way to go.Some dogs love it in there.It is like their little den.Not only you saving you furniture and such,you are saving him from causing harm to himself if he gets into something dangerous.Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i agree crate training is the best way to go if your dog can do it. Most dogs are fine just takes a little tough love when you hear them cry but they get over it

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I agree with all above. Frankly the crate is the safest thing for your dog and your home. We always crate when we are not able to be home, even though my dogs have a mud room where the only thing in it is the washer/dryer and the dog crates. I still dont let them have free reign because i have come home to brand new box of dryer sheets ripped to shreds or laundry detergent bottles with holes in them. Boxers are VERY creative and can manage to get into just about anything if they put their mind to it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It was two 2-mile walks and at least an hour run off-leash at that age.  Daycare will also do them in for a day anyway.  Can you gate off a kitchen area if the crate does not work?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
No, he's not too old to be crate trained..Samson was 6 when I rescued him and the Foster mom started crating him and I continued it..Boxers have high energy levels, some more so than others and some are just big time chewers...Unless you want Bollo to have a gourmet feast with your house I would recomend a crate..It's not cruel, you are actually doing your Boxer a favor, plus it could save his life if he were to get into something really bad...There is a Sticky topic in the training section about crating you may find helpful

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello all

Thank You so much for all the advices I think I ll try it. Right now I m going to reorganise my house. I keep him in the hall(si quite big) when I m away there is nothing what he can chew just the stairs :) He scratches doors just a little bit. Its been second week since we ve started it and I think I can see he is getting better. I know he needs some time and so do I. I belive in Bollo he is so smart. I also take him more often for a walk and take him everywhere when I can. He loves company and I hope it ll help.
Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts