Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here but Iv been lurking a good while.
im now on my third boxer and I adore the breed. However I’m having trouble with my puppy Chester he’s 19 months old and whenever we leave him In the house (never more than 3 hours) he gets destructive with mainly his beds and then the sofa. His little brother rocky doesn’t bother at all. Just recently it’s got worse to the point I’m having to go get a crate for him tomorrow, he’s eaten part of a door today while we were out for a hour.
They all get 3 walks a day, 2 short 15 min walks morning and lunch then a long walk in the evening of around 45 mins, and I have a large garden they stretch their legs in so he gets loads of exercise.
Surely he’s not teething at this age? Whenever we go out he gets a kong and he’s got loads of chew toys.
he’s also left with his brother rocky so he’s not lonely or bored. Any ideas? Desperate for help. Heres a pic of them together
Dog Comfort Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

Brown Furniture Comfort Black Wood

· Registered
1 Posts
Wow they are so adorable !
I know the feeling All too well, & the frustration of having everything destroyed. Which in my case I have 2 boxers, 11 & 12 months, They have destroyed my fly screens , my laptop, my lounge, in which the ate a hole & I had to throw one out.. not to mention shoes and toilet paper .
I have come to the conclusion they get bored easy. I walk mine twice a day, But now I’ve realised that to avoid this behaviour, in which for me happens when I leave them too long like 3 hours plus
I leave them in a confined area of the home, which acts like a crate. they don’t get access to all areas,
and I leave them with a bone or a goat horn , they last ages. By doing this it seems to be working.
One of mine, the male he was born naughty. Every day he does something naughty purpose &
that kind of something I just expect on the daily ! Boxers are a handful ! I’m sick of people saying leave them outside to sleep and live. Why own a dog. Boxers get so attached to humans ! Hope this helps.
cheers!!

· Registered
63 Posts
So cute! Based on the door eating and other behavior, it sounds like separation anxiety - even if he's left with his brother he may be feeling an extreme connection to a human or humans. You mention getting a crate. Was he crate trained when he was younger? (We crate trained our currently 21 month old girl and it's only in the past couple of months that we have been giving her free reign when we leave.)

I only ask about the crate because dogs that aren't accustomed to being in a crate can really hurt themselves trying to get out if they are panicking.

Also, the 15 minute walks sound a bit short to me for a high energy dog like boxers. (But if he's home with other dogs I assume they are playing a lot and getting energy out that way?) He may just need more exercise to burn off the anxiety.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So cute! Based on the door eating and other behavior, it sounds like separation anxiety - even if he's left with his brother he may be feeling an extreme connection to a human or humans. You mention getting a crate. Was he crate trained when he was younger? (We crate trained our currently 21 month old girl and it's only in the past couple of months that we have been giving her free reign when we leave.)

I only ask about the crate because dogs that aren't accustomed to being in a crate can really hurt themselves trying to get out if they are panicking.

Also, the 15 minute walks sound a bit short to me for a high energy dog like boxers. (But if he's home with other dogs I assume they are playing a lot and getting energy out that way?) He may just need more exercise to burn off the anxiety.
Morning, yeah he was crate trained until he was about 7 months and my younger boxer rocky is still in his crate which he loves. In total they have around a hour and a half walk time plus chasing each other around the garden.
it does sound like separation anxiety but he doesn’t make a fuss when we leave or jump up at doors it’s weird

· Registered
1,743 Posts
This is separation anxiety, my male Boxer that i have now went thru this. One of the keys to correcting this is the crate if he will accept it, another is when you do come home after being away don’t make over him when you come home ignore him for about ten minutes or so I know this sounds cold but if you make over him when you come in it reinforces his anxiety about you being gone. My male gets plenty of exercise and I have his half sister here all the time with him so that was not a factor with him.

· Registered
4,374 Posts
I have to agree that it is likely separation anxiety. I have a rescue (2nd) standard poodle now. I know his has separation anxiety and he was not crate trained t all when I got him. I kept a crate in my kitchen with the door open, he uses it to sleep on and off thru the day. Recently he started to eat the molding around doorways anreven the wall. So now when I go out I close him in his crate with a yummy chew. I am using these Pawstruck Beef collagen sticks. I get the largest size and I put one thru a treat ball. (ball that has hole that you can push it tightly thru) It does not come loose from this ball and he has each end to chew on. I am not so worried of him having a remaining small piece to choke on while I am gone but of course its always a chance. I am never gone very long so I feel ok with it. He only gets this when I go out. He readily now goes into his crate for this, but he is always happy to be free again when I get back, lol. My walls/moldings are staying intact.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is separation anxiety, my male Boxer that i have now went thru this. One of the keys to correcting this is the crate if he will accept it, another is when you do come home after being away don’t make over him when you come home ignore him for about ten minutes or so I know this sounds cold but if you make over him when you come in it reinforces his anxiety about you being gone. My male gets plenty of exercise and I have his half sister here all the time with him so that was not a factor with him.
How long did it take for him to get over it? Do you still crate now and also what size crate do you use
Thanks

· Registered
1,743 Posts
Well the crate thing was a problem for me because he would not crate he actually made his mouth bleed trying to get out and that’s a no go for me. I ended up baby gating him in the kitchen for a time and he was fine with that. I tried the treats in the kong thing with him to chew on but he didn’t care about food he wanted to be with me. I did the short time away from the house thing and tried to leave when he was already tired from his outdoor activities, ignore him when I came home and he just pretty much got over it. It took about 3 months of this for him to stop being destructive about it, he still to this day worries a bit when I leave but my house is fine when I come back! He will be 4 in February.I still ignore him when I come home from being out I really do think this really helps because if you make over them when you come home it’s like rewarding them for being anxious. I would try the crate I don’t know how big your dog is but he should be able to stand up and turn around in the crate without touching it and have a crate mat.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We now have an episode 2, so I bought the biggest crate available it’s huge.
I can get him in there no problem and apart from chewing his Matt he settles in there absolutly fine. The problem now when I let him out for the toilet before I go to work or before I go to bed he won’t come back in. It’s just taken me 40 mins to get him in this evening. I find it really hard not to get stressed with him as I feel this will only make it worse.
at night he’s also started nosing at the door which he’s never done before, sleeping downstairs I let them stay out of their crates and don’t usually have any issues apart from rocky the youngest occasionally has an accident.
is this all stemming from his separation anxiety? If so what can I do to get him over it? It’s turned him from a once fantastic dog to a constant worry

· Registered
5,883 Posts
OK, first when you have a dog with issue's is step back and chill. Your girl is clearly not helping with the new dog at all ie "Not My Problem!" So that kinda suck's?

But the basics of dog's with problems are pretty simple. The dog's freem roam in the house in the house during the day. They get on the furniture at will. And they sleep in the bed in with the owner at night?

If you have a dog with 'issues," when left alone at least two two of these are most likely true? And your girl is not helping at all?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, first when you have a dog with issue's is step back and chill. Your girl is clearly not helping with the new dog at all ie "Not My Problem!" So that kinda suck's?

But the basics of dog's with problems are pretty simple. The dog's freem roam in the house in the house during the day. They get on the furniture at will. And they sleep in the bed in with the owner at night?

If you have a dog with 'issues," when left alone at least two two of these are most likely true? And your girl is not helping at all?
Hi, throughout the day they are in their crate
When we’re home they aernt allowed upstairs they are usually in the same room as us.
they sleep downstairs usually on the sofa.
my wife helps out loads yeah
They get lots of exercise, over a hour and a half walk per day combined over 3 walks and they get loads of time to run around the garden chasing each other
I’m stumped!

· Registered
1,743 Posts
He doesn’t want to come in because he knows its crate time. When calling him get his favorite toy and speak it as your calling him in when he comes in maybe give him a treat These dogs are super smart so maybe don’t immediately crate him when he comes back in mix it up so he can’t anticipate what’s going on. My dogs are loose in my house and they do get on my furniture and beds. I never have night crated. I don’t have any problems with my dog at all

· Registered
63 Posts
Regarding not coming back inside, I wonder if he's learned that this is a fun new "game". He gets to run around and be pursued by you. Either that, or he's learned that it's ok to ignore you and saunter in whenever he likes.

If it's a chase, maybe there's a way to take the chase out of it and, like [email protected] suggests, make it really fun to come back inside.

If he's simply ignoring you, then it might be time to take training back to basics a bit. Instead of giving him freedom to just run around at will, walk with him on leash (even in the backyard) and only give him freedom off leash when he's earned it by following a few commands -especially "come". And of course, always make coming to you the greatest, most fun thing.

· Registered
5,883 Posts
Hmm OK, I am bit confused? Are both dog's already, "Crate Trained?" Do they sleep at night "downstairs," in Crates or loose? Is the daytime destruction only being done by the younger dog, during the day when you leave him loose??

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm OK, I am bit confused? Are both dog's already, "Crate Trained?" Do they sleep at night "downstairs," in Crates or loose? Is the daytime destruction only being done by the younger dog, during the day when you leave him loose??
Both dogs are crate trained. However the older hasn’t been in a crate for nearly a year.
at night they both sleep loose downstairs usually on the sofa.
prior to the last few weeks during the day time we were putting the youngest in a crate and leaving the older loose but now they’re both in crates throughout the day while we’re at work
The destructive behaviour it’s being done by the older dog. The younger hasn’t destroyed anything
Hope this answers everything

· Registered
5,883 Posts
Both dogs are crate trained. However the older hasn’t been in a crate for nearly a year.
at night they both sleep loose downstairs usually on the sofa.
prior to the last few weeks during the day time we were putting the youngest in a crate and leaving the older loose but now they’re both in crates throughout the day while we’re at work
The destructive behaviour it’s being done by the older dog. The younger one, hasn’t destroyed anything
Hope this answers everything
Aww OK! You said it in your first post. But (Names Don't work for me?) White Boxer and Flashy Boxer, would have worked better for me. Additionally your situation is fairly unique?? Usually it's the new dog that is the source of "issues?"

Your a first in my experience. Usually the new dog is the issue? Not the already established dog, so that is new one for me? Well ... "appearance," is part of why I am not a "Rottie Guy." All those guy's look pretty much the same to me? :)

I don't know that "I," would Crate both dog's because one of them can't, "Get a Grip?" But that is me.

Anyway ... and back on point, "Anxiety." That is the generally excerpted term ( for unacceptable uncontrolled behaviour?" ) But yeah ... that is not "necessarily accurate?" It depends on the "Dog/Breed," .but that is another story.

Three thing's need you to do and start, with the problem dog and first is:

Walk Her. Then ...
Train the Place Command
And Do Sit on the Dog!

That is it ... but as they say ... the "Devil Is In The Detail's?"

So step one ... Yes you walk her. But Do you walk her on one one?? Just you and her? And how does she walk with you? Is she by your side or doing whatever she wants' and dragging you behind her?? If you have a dog with "issue's, you can't walk them. with another dog! I mean sure you could ... but it won't change anything! The problem dog, need's "One On One Time," with you! And on your "Walks," with the "problem Dog," ... "No Talk, No Touch, No Eye Contact!

Walks are not "everything" that needs' to be done ... but they are "important!"

I don't know what you are doing(0n walks) ... but that is the "Start." You have to walk the Dog's Separately for awhile. I got more but that is the start. Nothinging I would recommend is undoable by "JQP?" But yeah it is "Time Consuming?"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts