Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Max AKA Mogs (mogwai)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are 1 month into our rescue boxer mix (other 1/2 pit maybe? not sure) he is learning and absorbing more and more training every day, is about 3 years old, was constantly kenneled with pressure sores, was very ribby and has Lyme. His "owner" OD'd and he was in the crate in the house for 4 days before anyone found her and him.

His health is coming around, coat has shined up and putting on weight. He is a very lovable slob (I call him Sir LiverLips McSlobber) and we have gained his trust, he now gives us his belly. We have had to work at establishing who is and who is not Alpha - grabbing him by the neck skin and staring him down has worked. But this poor guy has separation anxiety so bad we have to take him everywhere or get my sister here to sit with him, He destroyed a crate rated for a 125 lb dog and tore my door frame off my basement door - we were only gone an hour.

We are working at breaking the cues, I put my purse over my shoulder to walk around the house, I put my jacket in the garage before I leave and put it on out there, we go out one door and come in another. The calming chews actually make him worse, tried 3 different brands. The pheromones seem to help only a little. Anyone have any other suggestions? I do understand that at this point likely he trusts us, but doesn't yet feel secure. We just got him a thundershirt, but the change needs to come from within him mentally.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
First thing I would suggest is no more grabbing by the neck skin and staring him down! This is a terrible idea for a dog who has already lived a pretty terrible life locked in a crate! His confidence is a wreck already which makes him fearful of being alone. Obedience training goes a long way towards confidence/bonding with the dog and establishes the owners place as alpha. I would suggest seeing if there is some kind of group you could join with him for training. The other thing is excersise how much is he getting? Maybe getting him good and tired before leaving the house would help leave for only short trips maybe 15 minutes at first when you return to let him out do not make a big deal over him just let him out of the crate and ignore him till he’s in a calmer state when you go to leave put him immediately in the crate then go straight out again don’t make over him or make a big deal of it. This dog has been thru a terrible ordeal and one that has left emotional scars on him this is going to take time and healing for him. I think it’s great you were willing to take him in. It took 3 years to mess this poor soul up so fixing it won’t be quick either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh that poor guy. Good for you for working with him and giving him the life he deserves. Separation anxiety, while certainly understandable given his ordeal, is always a challenge. An hour seems a bit long for only having been with you a month. Have you been slowly building up the amount of time he can tolerate? Does he sleep in a crate and/or use a crate while you are home with him? Can he tolerate any separation, like being in a different room while you are home? Best of luck! He sounds like a sweetie.

·
Registered
Max AKA Mogs (mogwai)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the advice - the quick alpha establishment was absolutely necessary, he was bordering on being dangerous. Only had to do it twice to put the dangerous behavior in check. My husband is retired so he gets a ton of exercise - we live on a lot of land), but I feel like spending all day every day with my husband maybe adding to the separation anxiety, although he gets equally anxious when either one of us leaves the house.

We have been feeding him his meals in the crate, but as soon as you close the door he is in an absolute panic attack. We did have a bit of a breakthrough last night, he slept the entire night on his dog bed downstairs all by himself!

We'll keep chipping away at it and take the baby steps gratefully! Thanks so much for the vote of confidence and the good tips - one of my Rhodesian Ridgebacks was a rehome and while not abused, had been seriously neglected - ended up being the best dog I ever had, so really look forward to life with our Max buddy - he loves us so much already!

·
Registered
Max AKA Mogs (mogwai)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh that poor guy. Good for you for working with him and giving him the life he deserves. Separation anxiety, while certainly understandable given his ordeal, is always a challenge. An hour seems a bit long for only having been with you a month. Have you been slowly building up the amount of time he can tolerate? Does he sleep in a crate and/or use a crate while you are home with him? Can he tolerate any separation, like being in a different room while you are home? Best of luck! He sounds like a sweetie.
We make little progresses on different rooms, etc every day. He's good as long as he can hear or see us. We really thought he would be ok in the crate as he was fine with it at the shelter (he was there for about 3 weeks). he'll eat in the crate but only with the door open, closing it immediately results in a panic attack, and we started with 30 seconds, etc - it would seem we have stalled a bit and can't progress beyond say a couple minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Cathy,

Good on you for giving that poor guy a new life. Seems he's had a rough one and it'll be delightful from now on.
Does he know the stay/wait command? That could come in handy.
An example from our case is the room we spend most of the day is right across the bathroom. So I get Desi to sit and stay, leave the door open and go to the bathroom to maybe wash my hands or refill his water bowl where he can see me. If he tries to move, I repeat the command. It will take time but not that long. Once he gets that down, do that but in the crate. Because as I'm sure you're aware, the problem is not the crate, it's not seeing you.

So I hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are 1 month into our rescue boxer mix (other 1/2 pit maybe? not sure) he is learning and absorbing more and more training every day, is about 3 years old, was constantly kenneled with pressure sores, was very ribby and has Lyme. His "owner" OD'd and he was in the crate in the house for 4 days before anyone found her and him.

His health is coming around, coat has shined up and putting on weight. He is a very lovable slob (I call him Sir LiverLips McSlobber) and we have gained his trust, he now gives us his belly. We have had to work at establishing who is and who is not Alpha - grabbing him by the neck skin and staring him down has worked. But this poor guy has separation anxiety so bad we have to take him everywhere or get my sister here to sit with him, He destroyed a crate rated for a 125 lb dog and tore my door frame off my basement door - we were only gone an hour.

We are working at breaking the cues, I put my purse over my shoulder to walk around the house, I put my jacket in the garage before I leave and put it on out there, we go out one door and come in another. The calming chews actually make him worse, tried 3 different brands. The pheromones seem to help only a little. Anyone have any other suggestions? I do understand that at this point likely he trusts us, but doesn't yet feel secure. We just got him a thundershirt, but the change needs to come from within him mentally.
When we got ceasar from pa he didn't cry but when we left out he chewed corners of our walls n furniture we got him one of the bones that look like a ham bone n chew toys that made noise he took his frustrations out on that n never did it again now if we go out we tell him we're coming right back n leave the tv on or if we won't b back for a bit we tell him we're coming back home if it's been an hr or so he throws the chair pillows on the floor n won't jump on us when we come in n we give him hugs n kisses n then he's fine.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Well first thank you for rescuing him amd welcome aboard. And most likely he is a Boxer/Pit. They are quite common actually. My current Rescue, Bella is my second Boxer/Pitt and about two decades from my first? But still ... nothing has changed? This is her ...,

Dog Collar Carnivore Dog breed Picture frame

She is my second Pit/Boxer my first was two decades ago. But still the same aside from color. Taller than a Pit but nowhere near as "Stout!" A true APBT, (American pit Bull Terrier) or Staffordshire Terrier, is a bit shorter a lot wider and there heads are freaking huge! And those dog's are surprising agile?

But I digress. Ceasar apollo, had a good post. And she is definitely on the right track. But depending on the dog, Stay and Wait may not be enough? And basically those are "short term commands," in anycase?

Stay or shorter still is wait. Those are good commands and work for fine with dog's with no serious, Separation Anxiety Issues? The Canine Good Citizenship test has a 3 minute, out of sight Stay as a part of it's procedure. Most well trained pets, can hold it together for three minutes? And "Wait," is usually much, much shorter than that?

Stay or Wait are nice but they are not enough for a dog with serious issues? They can't change the "Mind Set," of a dog with serious uh, issues? A stay or wait command, I would imagine is usually, less than two minutes if that?

Aww well I could go on and on and explain in detail a lot of nuances of the why, do this? Which I will upon request. But to keep it simple. If you have a dog with issues all you need to do are only a few things.

If you have two dog's ... the first step is gonna piss of there buddy! Cuz you need to walk the new dog, one on one with you! And it needs to be a proper "Structured Walk!" No dragging you along while you struggle to rein him in! You just walk! And you walk in silence ... you keep your mouth shut! Stay, Ok and the occasional "Good Boy," are the only things you should say. And this is not about exercise, it's about building a "Bond of Trust!"

Step two is a bigger one and most likely more work? But if you want to changes in how "he how,he views the world?" This is it. You need to train the "Place Command!" And this is Hughe! We are not talking about a three minute out of site stay here! A properly trained "Place Command," is two hours!

It takes time to build up to that. But it helps to change the dogs "mental state!" He learns to understand that "Place," means ... he is going to be there awhile for awhile? And the dog is free to move and settle down in a "Spot," rug, blanket, or the freaking couch, but he is not free to leave it! That is how, you change the dog's "Mind Set!' And to start it looks like this.

That link is more of a "How to," and this link is a bit more of a why bother.

And step number three would be "Sit On The Dog."

And the video pretty much explains the how and why of that one.

If you want to get him into a better place than he is now? This is "pretty much, how it is done. No harsh corrections, ie no Yank and Crank? Just "Be with me dog," all it takes is 'time and effort." :)

Welcome Aboard. And pictures would be nice. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suggest you should try DAP Collar as if tab are not working, this remains effective for an entire month. Heated dog body releases pheromones from the collar and so, you do not need to do anything else then buckling up the collar around the pet’s neck. if this doesn't work talk to your vet once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, separation anxiety is a powerful thing for dogs. :cry: You say he was left in an enclosed space for a long time because his mistress overdosed. I'm really sorry that this happened to this dog. I've never found that my dogs were locked in closets or drawers. However, my dog had a different kind of behavior. Our boxer always reacted greatly to the fact that a couple of months after giving birth, we gave her puppies into the hands of new owners. But once, she had depression and anxiety after that. She was constantly whining, and crying a lot. We even searched for is my dog depressed quiz. We were worried about her mental health. After a while, we rescued a golden retriever puppy on the street and gave it to her care. She fell in love with him and raised him as a native boxer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts