Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread about Boxer Bathing.    I was curious what everyone uses and how often they bath their pooch.     You hear people say that you should not bath them too often and all that but I won't have a stinky indoor dog.    

The number one thing I see that people do wrong is wash their dog with dish soap.........it is too harsh and takes the oils away, causing shedding and dry skin.
Next is using cheap shampoo and then no conditioner.  

Here is my secret and I get compliments daily on how great Cuda's coat looks,  how little she sheds and how great she smells.  

I know it is expensive and some of you will think I am crazy but it has worked for years on my dogs with NO dryness or skin troubles.     Ready........?
I use Paul Mitchell salon grade shampoo followed by Paul Mitchell conditioner.    I bath her once a week for sure and occationally twice.  

Seriously,  she smells great,  super shine on the hair,  and most importantly....not a single skin issue ever.  

I would like to know what all of you guys and gals use on your hound!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Paul Mitchell? Good lord, I don't even use that on my own hair.. :lol: I use a color enhanccing shampoo anyways, don't think the doggies would care for that, huh?

I use an oatmeal shampoo on mine and only bath them every couple months. They don't get dirty, they don't smell, so can't see the point...I use a lot of baby wipes on them tho, to kinda clean them off some... :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
samsonsmom\";p=\"28865 said:
Paul Mitchell? Good lord, I don't even use that on my own hair.. :lol: I use a color enhanccing shampoo anyways, don't think the doggies would care for that, huh?

I use an oatmeal shampoo on mine and only bath them every couple months. They don't get dirty, they don't smell, so can't see the point...I use a lot of baby wipes on them tho, to kinda clean them off some... :)
Ha ha.    That is just the reaction to the use of "Paul Mitchell" that I expected from you ladies.    8O

I really can't describe what it does for her coat........she looks like a very refined show dog that just happens to be buck wild.....running into stuff and jumping/ licking everything!   haha.  

Oatmeal shampoo sounds interesting.    Do yours shed bad?   I have heard many owners say that theirs do.   Mine doesn't!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i use oatmeal shampoo and a high grade doggie conditioner.  Lilly gets bathed weekly (becuz of her jobs [hearing service dog and therapy dog])...she "blows her coat" twice a year and just finished with that...aside from that she rarely sheds much...she always smell fabulous...even at/after the beach...

Paul Mitchel is a great idea though...cudos on that one...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we use oatmeal shampoo with aloe microbeads. if i think they smell i will give them a bath, but it is MAYBE once a month.

I disagree with the dawn comment in a way. it should not be replaced for regular shampoo, but if fleas are an issue then i dont see the harm in using it to do an immediate kill on the ones on your dog, then follow with a preventative.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I only bathe Chloe when needed which isn't too often but she does tend to jump in the shower with me. I use Earthbath or Spa Dog Botanicals  which is my favorite.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson sheds horribly, his coat is thicker and coarser than the normal Boxer. Angel sheds very little compared to him..So Samson gets a lot of brushing to stimulate his scalp and get that dead hair to come off...Earlier this year, in about May or so, I was sweeping up a pile of his hair everyday!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i am right there with you willow! Savannah is like a shedding machine. I have to vacuum due to us having carpet. You can find me sitting on the floor everyother day trying to unclog the vacuum with all the hair that gets sucked up!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure climate where you live has something to do with the amount of shedding.   I am convinced though,  that my shampoo/ conditioner combo really helps in that department.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hmm...Paul Mitchell, well if its good enough for me it should be good enough for Bella :)   Any particular line that you use?
We just adopted Bella from a rescue in July & her Demodex returned so we have been bathing in a benezol peroxide shampoo & doing Mitiban dips weekly.  I doubt if I will bath her weekly, seems a bit to frequent.  I'm scared to dry out her skin.
Do you guys brush your babies, if so, what type of brush?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
the same thing she said about paul mitchell is what pantene does for mine..it keeps them smelling sooooo good and the shine is great...on occasion i run out and use baby shampoo and a good conditioner...
havent seen alot of paul mitchell out here like i did in mass...
isis doesnt shed alot at all but my lab does every so often when his coat forgets we live in hawaii haha..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would say NO to all human products for a number of reasons -

Most human hair products will irritate a dog's skin, as they contain chemicals suitable for human scalps... which are very different in nature from dog skin. You probably won't notice that the dog's skin is irritable, mainly because dogs are covered in fur. But excessive scratching, rolling, irritated eyes/nose, are sure signs.

In terms of the fur itself, there is little benefit to using human hair products on dogs because dogs come with their own essential oils and so on. These are released via sweat glands. If you think your dog's coat is a bit lacking in terms of vitality, the best way is to improve your dog's diet instead. Adding egg to their meal is a safe and nutritious way to bring out a good silky shine as well as fish oils or some kelp.

The other reason why its generally not a good idea to use human hair products on dogs is because human shampoo/etc doesn't come with things like flea treatments and the PH level in human shampoo is a lot different than in pet shampoos.

If you like paul mitchel products, try their pet line.  If the human stuff was good for the pets, they would not have created a separate line for them.     http://www.jppet.com/

I personally use Earth Bath Oatmeal shampoo - I like their products and they smell so nice.  However I only bath the dogs when they really need it, which is hardly ever.  In between I use bathing cloths if need be.

But having said that, I used to use natural shampoo on my maltese terrier when I was out of pet shampoo. I just made sure never to use it around his head, and that it was always diluted to a fair degree.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Zoom Groom!! I use this & furminator on my lab, I never thought to try the zoom groom on Bella.  She really doesn't shed which is a good thing since the lab is a shedder!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"28898":3rnupd37]I would say NO to all human products for a number of reasons -

Most human hair products will irritate a dog's skin, as they contain chemicals suitable for human scalps... which are very different in nature from dog skin. You probably won't notice that the dog's skin is irritable, mainly because dogs are covered in fur. But excessive scratching, rolling, irritated eyes/nose, are sure signs.

In terms of the fur itself, there is little benefit to using human hair products on dogs because dogs come with their own essential oils and so on. These are released via sweat glands. If you think your dog's coat is a bit lacking in terms of vitality, the best way is to improve your dog's diet instead. Adding egg to their meal is a safe and nutritious way to bring out a good silky shine as well as fish oils or some kelp.

The other reason why its generally not a good idea to use human hair products on dogs is because human shampoo/etc doesn't come with things like flea treatments and the PH level in human shampoo is a lot different than in pet shampoos.

If you like paul mitchel products, try their pet line.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I really don't bathe Maddie too often.  Maybe once every three months, unless of course the frito feet smell gets way out of control!  8O In between baths I just give a good wipe with some baby wipes and she is good to go. I also use the unscented, sensitive skin baby wipes to clean out her ears. They work wonders!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"28925":2m1bezon]Yes some human meds are used for dogs but you need to becareful on dosages.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts