Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cross posting this thread from my good friend Jill (Jinxx Boxers :wink: ) I think its a great way to look at certain physical characterstics of boxers and see what is correct/good and what's is not/bad. Sometimes seeing things in pictures can be a great aid. Its hard to pick out a good boxer, but this IMO is a great illistration of what you should be looking for.

Jill used scans from one of her favorite books -

The Complete Boxer by Milo Denlinger
second edition 1950
Chapter IX Blueprint of the Boxer pages 218-225

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Very interesting!
I definitely think my two have bulldog bites!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
thats awesome Heather !!! very cool !!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think Lola has some #22 going on.  It's not very noticeable when she's standing but when she is running, especially running straight away from me so you see a very straight view of the back, her ankles come together.  Seeing some show boxers, and having Lenny who's pedigree is pretty much all champions, makes it very noticeable.  At least to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No problem Heather  :wink:

No such thing as too much education.
I do refer to these pages (and the whole book) as well as reread the standard often. I think everyone that ownes a Boxer should.

the standard is so we don't loose track of form and function due to personal taste and/or ignorance

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, Jill and Heather.  I didn't get my dog for the purpose of showing him, but I think its so interesting to compare all the different boxers on this site and see what my dog looks like in comparison.   For some reason I find it hard to 'see' the shape of my dog's head because of the way he has that flash of white right on the bridge of his nose.   When I look at him in profile, I think he falls somewhere between #4 and #6.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And its not meant to pic apart people dogs.  However I think its a great aid esp if you are thinking about breeding your dog, or wanting to know what to look for when you are purchasing a dog  :wink:

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
heather, that is really cool!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I'd like Kiah and Keegan evaluated just so I could see what is good and bad with them.  I can see some of their faults myself but even with pictures I think you need a practiced eye or see a boxer in person that was close to standard.

·
Registered
381 Posts
[quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"102540":3uebxai6]I'd like Kiah and Keegan evaluated just so I could see what is good and bad with them.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="Nexu\";p=\"102666":2u57t4yn][quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"102540":2u57t4yn]I'd like Kiah and Keegan evaluated just so I could see what is good and bad with them.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Great resource Heather!
Pictures always seem to have a way of making things easier to understand!  :D

G

·
0 Posts
Binga has a bulldog bite   :?

I hadn't looked at it in a while and I did the other night I was like OMG!   8O

I can't see her top teeth at all and can easily fit my thumb in there between the bottom teeth and the top.  Looks like predator for sure.

I will be checking Binga out when I get home after seeing this.  She is not for breeding or show, but my curiosity has gotten ahold of me!   :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks Heather!!
Ok..so I have a pup with a "square" head I guess..LOL..sounds kinda funny, but I don't know about calling a dog a "brick" head would be better..Ahhh maybe I should just call her blockhead..and throw in the towel!! ( just kidding ).
OH, btw, do you have any ideas about the foot issue? I looked again last night, and she seems to be arching the toes now, so I hope it was a puppy thing

1 - 20 of 35 Posts