Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone hoping this is the right place for the post but dexter is 6.5 months old extremely well behaved I have know chewing, barking, or any problems with him so far tho he gets lots of exercise the only thing is if someone is walking up behind him if were walking he gets a little scared and jumps or looks behind him and get a little nervous around others only at first it's not a big problem but I don't want him to be nervous so easily I got him at 15 weeks and he has never had a little spanking or nothing only positive training and everyone loves him and gives him affection thanks! Even the wind gets him going sometimes or big things on the grass!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
He should get over it, they go through "fear" periods growing up.
just don't coddle him or make a big deal when he gets scared (that would only re-enforce his fear) - just go on like nothing's wrong.

:)

·
Registered
5,117 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
As someone said, they do to through fear periods, but the truth is that boxers in general can be a little jumpy. Not saying they all are or that they should be, but it certainly isn't uncommon. I got Ziva at 11 weeks, used only positive training & socialized her like no tomorrow. As a pup she immediately loved every single person (or animal!) she met. So much so, in fact, that out on walks it was difficult keeping her from approaching every single person who went by. Now at a year old she is still friendly, still loves most people (& nearly every animal, lol) but where she once loved everyone she is now extremely shy around some men, and is flat out afraid of some men. Same goes for strange objects. As a baby nothing bothered her. As an adult there are some things that just plain spook her.

The important thing is, as someone said, not to coddle them or make a big deal out of it. Never force a situation, always give them a chance to figure it out on their own & don't be afraid to speak up and be your pup's voice. Don't worry about offending someone. If someone wants to pet your pup & its clear he's scared don't be afraid to say no. If the person is patient & willing you can can use it as a training session & ask them to squat down, avert their eyes, hold out a hand, etc. but if not just let it go. If you're walking and see that he's afraid of something don't coddle him, but don't totally ignore it & force anything, either. Slow down, let him look & approach at his speed.

Am I making sense? Def didn't get enough sleep last night, lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes makes total send I usually let it go he is good with people if they approach slow actually very good just some blowing bags down the road or if I'm walking down the hallway of my condo building and people are behind us he likes to peek or sudden noises as if when your little and you run up stairs or into your room thinking there is a monster coming for you I got him in the winter so I no things will be better now that he has lots of exposure to the outside but definitely glad I socialize him a lot and he is so very well behaved. Thanks

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Yes makes total send I usually let it go he is good with people if they approach slow actually very good just some blowing bags down the road or if I'm walking down the hallway of my condo building and people are behind us he likes to peek or sudden noises as if when your little and you run up stairs or into your room thinking there is a monster coming for you I got him in the winter so I no things will be better now that he has lots of exposure to the outside but definitely glad I socialize him a lot and he is so very well behaved. Thanks

Sorry I'm going to have to disagree, if he was socialized well ,he wouldn't be doing this. A dog who "knows" his guardian has his back does not do this.

Read the essay's in the links I posted on "Who pets my Puppy or Dog" and the fearful dog essay by Nicole Wilde pretty much same deal.

A confident dog should not care if people are moving fast or slow or wearing floppy hats or bags are blowing in the street! All they care about is you and if your good with whatever they are fine with it! :)

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Duke is awesome in the house. If anyone walks through the door and we greet them, he greets them as well.

Outside is a different matter. Too many distractions! He can't focus on US, there is too much to see and smell! However, he is getting better as he gets older.

When he was younger - about 6 months-12 months of age, he was afraid of anything and everything! Garbage bags on garbage day, blowing leaves, old people using walkers or moving slowly (he had no issue with loud fast moving kids because he was used to those! lol), skateboarders, people wearing hoods, people with hands in their pockets... you get the picture! lol Now, these were "strangers" while we were out on walks. He was fine with neighbours and people he knew in these scenarios. Duke was also very well socialized with people and other dogs.

As he got older he lost most of these fears. Puppies go through a stage where they are afraid of everything! Your puppy is 6.5 months old so he's at that stage. He's realizing there is so much more around him than he noticed before and it's freaking him out! lol But he will get used to it. Just reassure him with your voice that "It's ok" and carry on. He'll outgrow this stage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies yes with neighbours and people outside and elevators and other dogs he is excellent with greeting letting others hold his leash people coming over, the dog walker coming to get him alone he is really good I have introduced him to lots of people Lots of animals lots of different things as you are supposed to and dexter is the same outside with new things as he gets out and notices a lot more now that its spring and the snow is gone he doesn't bark or chase after other animals and is getting better with the odd noise and sight other than that he is perfect around anyone or anything else but sometimes has a hard time paying attention outside with a lot of distractions and smells

·
Registered
1 Posts
Case Study Help Online

Case Study Help Online give custom papers and individual way to deal with helping each understudy. We value your vision and thoughts which we generally consider during the time spent our work. Additionally, you can utilize our variant of your task as the premise of your own work, not as a last form.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do My Finance Homework For Me

We can give you how the conditions and your own demeanor impact your exhibition and show you what to Do My Finance Homework For Me to improve as an understudy. In this way, in the event that you need to prevail in your investigations, there is no time for you to dither.

·
Registered
1 Posts
accounting homework help

We provide complete accounting homework help to students who often struggle to get highest marks but fall behind. Trust us services and secure your maximum grades.We are a premier Accounting Homework Help Online Service in the writing industry Get your perfect accounting solution from experts at a discounted price and enjoy it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts