Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in desperate need of help!!  
We have been having so much trouble with house training Ginsy.   I started all over with her just like a brand new puppy and things were improving.  Then today- I walked her first thing when I got up - still in PJ's and all.  then DH walked her before he left for work.  And again we took her out while we waited for the bus.  She peed she pooped she played etc then when we came back inside I went to make breakfast for my littlest and Ginsy followed me around the kitchen.  All is well- then within 15 min she had pooped in the den again.  

The kids don't play with her because she pulls them and knocks the down.  I have trained her to heel and she does fairly well with me but she is big enough to get away with pulling the kids around and they can't enforce her training.  So she doesn't get out unless I take her out.  And honestly 20- 30 min walks is just not enough play time for a big dog like her even if we go on several long walks a day.

Dh doesn't like having dogs in the house- he grew up with outside dogs and having her inside drives him nuts.  Especially when she gets excited and rambunctious.   She is too big to be a lap dog and tends to knock you over in an attempt to be CLOSE to you and be in the middle of whatever is going on.   He says it is time to put her out permanently.  He says she would have all the play time she needs with Chance outside and she wouldn't make messes inside any more.

I say she is a short haired dog and not ment to be outside all the time like that.  IMPASSE!!

What that means is Ginsy needs a new home.    

I wanted a big dog.  I wanted a playful energetic dog.  I want an inside dog to be a family companion and friend.  At the risk of making you guys think the very worst of me I need to confess that I totally underestimated the impact a big dog would have on life.  I knew and was fully prepared for the energy and activity level of an extremely playful dog.  I grew up with Boston terriers.  What I wasn't prepared for was how that translates in a much bigger dog.

It makes me cry.  I love my dog!  I got exactly what I asked for and Ginsy is a wonderful loving and playful companion.   But I just can't let her be an outside dog.  It would never workout for her that way and it would ruin the joyful playful dog that she is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: PLEASE HELP!!

Are you looking for someone on here to adopt her? Or just help with the situation? Where are you located?

How old is Ginsy? And what do you mean by big....how big is she? I know a bunch of people on here have big dogs and they still consider them "lap dogs" because boxers are just so loving and want to be near you all the time. And you're right...I think boxers should not be outside dogs (in fact, I personally don't think any dogs should be outside dogs), their coats are just too short.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ginsy is a 45lb boxer and totally a lap dog.  She will be a year old this month.  She is spayed.  My avitar is a pic of her as a puppy.
She is very small for a boxer actually.  when I say she is a big dog I mean compared to the little 15 lb dogs I grew up with.  

And as to what I want?  I honestly couldn't say.  I can't stop crying about this right now.  But I guess I need to find her a better home than the one I am able to provide if my DH insists on making her an outside dog.  It just would not be fair for her.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Where do you live? Are there any boxer rescues around?

Did DH know that you wanted her to be an indoor dog when you got her? That's not really fair (if he did know) for him to change his mind when the going gets tough.

Your'e right...44lbs isnt that big for a boxer. Have you taken her for obediance training? That may help with the knocking people over problem. You would be able to teach her not to jump on people. Obviously it takes time and patience, but it sounds like it would be totally worth it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Wow you lucked out if you didn't want a big dog, 45 pounds at a year is small for a boxer.  I'm not sure what you were expecting!  I guess I don't really understand, she's 1 year old and still not house trained?  Or just has an occasional accident?

Boxers should not be outdoor dogs,   They don't do well unless the temperature is perfect, and they crave companionship.  You will end up with a dog with severe behavior problems if you alienate her.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

She is a year old and still not house trained because she tends to have to poop more than once on a single walk and it is impossible to tell when she is really DONE..   So if she isn't completely done and I bring her in,  she still needs to go ...  so she goes in the den.  In a way I have TRAINED her to go in the house.   But then again-  I walk her for around 45 min in the morning first thing.  How long does a dog need to empty her bowel anyway??  It is very frustrating and exactly why DH says she needs to go outside.  So far he isn't enforcing that ultimatum but .....   And he did agree to have her inside but griped about it from day one :roll:   This is just fuel for the fire so to speak.

And as for her size?   Well she is small for a boxer,  But I was just totally unprepared for how a big dog impacts life.  I knew what I was getting as far as temperament.  I got exactly what I expected.  I just wasn't expecting how that temperament translates into a dog that is so much bigger than a Boston Terrier.  My mistake.

the worst part of all this is-  I still love my dog.  I would still love to have a boxer in the future, maybe when my kids are all in school and I can devote the time to training like I need to.  i am just continually distracted and find consistency to be my major hurdle/

·
Registered
4 Posts

If you are anywhere near Ohio, I would be willing to give her a loving, stable home with four other boxers. It sounds like you have your hands full and I agree with the others, putting her outside is NOT the answer, and depending on the climate would be abuse. Boxers don't have enough fur to weather the cold for very long and their short muzzle makes them heat intolerant.

Before you take her to a local shelter, try to find a Boxer Rescue group in your area.

Click this link for a listing of U.S. recue groups:

http://www.abra.rescuegroups.com/info/d ... ageID=2592

Good Luck!--Joanne

·
Banned
2,318 Posts

where are you located?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Boxers are WONDERFUL with children.  You couldn't have picked a better dog for your kids.  If the dog is not behaving properly, then that is on you.  You'd have to train even a small dog to be safe around children.  Children should never be unsupervised around a puppy, and yes even at 1 years old your dog is still a pup.  It just sounds to me that in general you have not properly trained your dog in the basics.  But it's never too late.  Boxers can appear to be "stubborn" although they aren't really stubborn, they just like to test your dominance.  They will get away with whatever you allow them to.  Just simply taking her for a walk doesn't teach her to go potty outside.  What's your yard situation?  Walks are for exercise.....going out the back door is for going potty.  Reward her when she goes outside, and correct her when you catch her going inside.  Do this every single day and in a matter of weeks the dog should reasonably be housetrained.  Another idea would be to introduce the crate.  Crating would help with a) housebreaking and b) keeping her out of trouble when no one can supervise her.  At 1 year a dog can hold it for quite a while, that is not the problem (short of a medical issue...which btw, you should take her to the vet just to make sure). All of these problems should be solvable, it will just take training and patience.  

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, because I do agree with you....boxers can be quite demanding.  More so than many other breeds.  But I believe the rewards are tremendous.

As for the outdoor issue, if you must make her an outdoor dog then please give her to a reputable boxer rescue.  Boxers simply should not be left outside for any prolonged period of time.

·
Registered
263 Posts

I have to agree with everyone, any dog, doesn't matter if it's a boxer or other breed is generally "puppy" until 2 or 3 years of age.  Our choc. lab was horrible as a puppy.  I had my days that I would tell my husband that if one more thing happened he was gone, but I never meant it and he knew that.  Today Jake is now 5 and I couldn't ask for a better dog.  I think it all depends on how much patience your willing to have.  But I absolutely do not agree with putting any dog outside.  I think that is cruel and how much attention is this dog going to get if it's an outside dog?  Where are you located?

·
Registered
780 Posts

I agree completely with what others have said.  A dog is a BIG commitment and one that you can't take lightly.  That said it sounds like you are trying and I commend you on seeking help and trying to find solutions (most would just dump the dog at the pound).  

It sounds like she needs to be part of the family, she may be going potty in the house for attention (good or bad).  You said the kids don't like to play with her because she is too rough with them.  They need to learn how to play with her and teach her how to play with them.  Our Calli was 1 when our first child was born and they became constant companions.  Calli was so protective of our daughter it was amazing.  Our daughter would tell Calli to lay down in front of the sink, under a light switch, etc. and then stand on her to reach the light switch or the sink.   She used her for a pillow while watching TV, etc.  It takes training and LOTS of patience.  Boxers are a sensitive breed and can sense when things are wrong, yours boxer may know that things aren't right in the house and feel the tension.  

I think you as a family have to agree to keep her (through thick and thin and not with ohh well we will just get rid of her if she doesn't do this, etc.) and agree to work together to train and care for her.  You have to show her love and affection all the time (especially when she does the things you want her to).  She needs plenty of play time because she is still a baby, ours love it when we sit on the floor with them and they lay beside us, or put their heads in our lap, etc.  They just want to be near you (with ours they want to be TOUCHING you  :D ).  And boxers can be spiteful (at least I know ours can  8O ), they are very stubborn when they want to be but can also be extremely loving and I couldn't recommend a better dog to be with kids.

Good luck with everything and hopefully everything will work out for you!  Keep your chin up and lots of boxer kisses! :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I am doing everything I can think of to resolve this issue and make it work- believe me OUTSIDE is something that will never happen with my dog.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

This is a really sad situation.  Unfortunately, it is a situation that rescue groups hear all too often, and is one of the reasons why shelters and rescues have an over abundance of animals.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I would rather see Ginsy go to a loving home where the family has the time to spend with her and give her the time and training that she needs.
I am in no way saying that she isn't in a loving home right now, but it is obvious that she needs a family where everyone is going to be able to work with her and is on the same page, so to speak.
Good luck with this, I do hope you can find a way to keep Ginsy, but you need to do what is best for her and your family as well.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

You mentioned earlier about your children not being able to train Ginsy. How old are they? the reason i ask is because my daughter was 6 when we got the girls, and she just recently turned 7 and she is with me every step of the way in training both my girls. She handles Reese (turned 1 yr in Jan) better than she handles Savannnah (turned 3 this past Dec). Reese is very similar to ginsy, very rambunctious and loves to get into lots of things. Also i have noticed that many people have asked where you are located, yet you havent answered that. IF you did and i missed that then i am sorry. My Reese still has accidents in the house from time to time, but that is by fault of my own not hers. She has been more destuctive lately as well, but once again that is through fault of my own bc i have been so busy with work and getting ready to move that the girls dont have the usual amount of playtime. I agree that  dog is a very big responsibility, and that no dog should ever be left out side 24/7. to be honest when i see that it really makes me mad. i feel that people shouldnt get a dog if their plan is to leave it outside...that is no life for the animal. Best of luck with your situation.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry!  I thought I had answered the question of where we live.  We are in NE GA.  and my DC are 8,7,5,4 :D The problem with them walking her is she is so strong she pulls them down and she knows she can get away with it if I am not there.  I take them with me on walks and she is fine if I am there but all bets are off if they try to walk her alone.  And she is not rough or aggressive.   she is just big ( well ..... relatively speaking) and she is extremely strong- she just overpowers them and if they are just hanging out with her and she leans into someone ( just trying to cuddle :wink: ) then they just sort of topple over and she climbs all over them trying to get closer- or play boxer puppy play and the DC can't get up or out from under her till I come get her off.

It was never the intention to have Ginsy be an outside dog.  When she came here we agreed that she would live indoors.  Dh is only saying that now because of all the accidents in the house.  There are the obvious times when she doesn't get taken out right away first thing in the morning :roll: when my littlest gets up early and lets Ginsy out of her crate but I am not there to walk her-  that is clearly human error.  

What burns DH are the times when we have just come in from a 20 min walk and she has done her business 1&2 and then turns right around and poops in the den.
Thats when I hear the "what is wrong with that dog?  You just took her out!  Didn't she go while you were on your walk?   She needs to just stay outside then if she is going to use the carpet as her personal potty........

And he isn't saying throw the dog out and stay out-  he just feels that if she needs so much longer to take care of her potty needs then she needs to be left outside to take care of it after our walk.  He also feels that if she were allowed to stay outside for longer periods she could burn off some of that excess puppy energy and be a little more civilized in the house.  

The problem is that we don't have a fence - so we can't just leave her outside, even for short periods of time unless she is on a tie out.  And she gets tangled up so easily.   What we would like to do is get one of those petsafe collar systems and train her to stay in the yard.  Now I realize that isn't foolproof and dogs figure out pretty quickly how to beat the system.  You need to check the batteries every week and have a steady supply of replacements on hand.  the newer systems have an added feature where if the dog lingers in the "warning zone"  for longer than a few seconds it will give a zap to tell the dog to get away from the boundary,  this prevents the savy dog from lingering in the warning zone till the battery dies from the constant warning beep and escaping.  they also have a safety measure that allows the escapee (if they do break past the boundary ) to return to the yard without getting zapped again.

I am looking into several options at this point - I am open to any and all suggestions.  But getting a fence is out- homeowners association no chain link and privacy fences must be approved and we can't afford the privacy fence anyway.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I threatened to put Charlie outside when he was around 6 months old.  One thing you have to keep in mind is that guys have short tempers.  I can go from calm to kill in less than a second.  Just give him some time, explain that your girl is an inside pet and you guys decided that before you got.  It sounds like you are trying, maybe buy a baby gate to contain her where you can have a better watch of her.  Good luck!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I mentioned this earlier but the first thing you need to rule out is a medical issue.  When's the last time you went to the vet?  Can they confirm she doesn't have a bladder infection or UTI?

Short of that, sorry to say, at a year old the housetraining issues are on her owners.  Perhaps DH should start training and stop complaining.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts