Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the Monster had diarrhea 4 times yesterday. Immediately put him on a fast, and 24 hours after his last feeding, I started him on a small amount of turkey and pumpkin. Tonight, I added about 1/3 cup rice to his turkey and pumpkin mixture. He has not yet had another bowel movement.

I have been watching him like a hawk since my last post. He has eaten nothing out of the ordinary, so I started doing some research online. And this is where I have to ask for your kindness; for some reason, it never really occurred to me that I should be washing his food and water bowls daily; if not after every meal. I honestly only ever threw them in the dishwasher when they looked grungy. ( About once a week or so?)

Shortly thereafter, I received a call from the Vet confirming that the little goody bag I dropped off at her office yesterday indicated that he has a bacterial infection most commonly caused by .... improper feeding practices. :doh: I feel so stupid and guilty, but the vet was very reassuring that this is a fairly common mistake, actually. It also happens more frequently when the days run hot and humid, as they have been here as of late.

He's on an antibiotic, a probiotic, and a bland diet for the next 10 days. He seems very lethargic but is eating ok and doesn't have a fever, distended belly or appear to be in pain.

I just can't shake this nagging feeling that I'm going to find my beloved Dobby dead because I didn't know to WASH HIS DISHES!

I'm sure most of you already know this, but I wanted to post this just in case there is anyone out there, who - like me- just didn't realize the importance of cleaning their bowls daily, and to preferably use bowls of the stainless steel variety. I truly hope my post helps save someone the heartache I'm going thru, knowing my poor pup is suffering because of my lack of knowledge. :cry_baby:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Yep, very true you must clean their bowls daily and stainless or ceramic is a good way to go. We also wash the toys. Don't beat yourself up, stuff happens and your boy will soon be fine. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Hmm welll thanks for the heads up! I do use a stainless steel dish but ...yeah I do get a little lazy with the washing it up thing. Rocky tends to lick it clean so I've been like good enough ... my bad. :chair:

But ... it sounds like a sensitive stomach was not the issue???

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
LOL ... well maybe pointy faced dogs are a better choice for lazy washers of dog dishes???? Still ... I'll up my game ,course on occasion I give my plate to Rocky, to clean and when he's done I'll say to Marilyn ... well that's one less dish to wash ... she never buys that. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good to know. Thanks for sharing. We wash ours but not daily. We have some SS and some plastic bowls. Guess we will be getting more of the SS.

Hope your baby's feeling better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts