Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Diarrhead in Puppies

26K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  LymanGorgor 
#1 ·
Diarrhea in Puppies http://leerburg.com/diarrhea.htm

By Ed Frawley
copyright 2003

I have bred dogs since 1978, over 340 litters of German Shepherds. This translates into raising a lot of puppies and a fair bit of experience with puppy diarrhea.

Over the years I have seen my share of sick dogs and puppies. One of the most common problems we see with puppies is diarrhea.

This articled is intended to help people come to terms with puppy diarrhea. It is not intended to diagnose all of the causes of diarrhea or even to tell the reader how to cure the problem under every circumstance. It is simple intended to pass on some of the knowledge I have gained over the years when my puppies get sick.

I will explain the different kinds of diarrhea and pass on some of the options that I have learned that can be used by pet owners to control the problem of puppy diarreha.

THERE ARE 4 KINDS OF STOOL

1- Normal Logs

2- Pudding Diarreha- soft stools that will mound up

3- Brown Water Diarrhea

4- Brown Water Diarrhea with blood

We all strive for our dogs to have normal stool. If my dogs have a normal temperature (101 to 102 in dogs) and if they are laying logs I know that these are two important indications that the dogs are healthy. There are always exceptions to this rule (i.e. a dog with cancer) but in general this is are pretty accurate statement.

PARASITES AND DIARRHEA:

If a dog gets diarrhea as a result of parasites, the most common causes are Coccidia or Giardia. Both will cause diarrhea, but each requires different medication.

All dogs have some level of Coccidia in their gut. When a dog is stressed (i.e. being shipped, moving into a new environment etc ) the stress can cause the Coccidia to bloom and flair up causing diarrhea. The solution is to give the dog ALBON. How much and how it is administered is a question for your vet.

Humans get Giardia when they drink water that has fecal matter in it. When you go camping and drink water from a stream you can get Giardia. When dogs get Giardia they need to be treated with METRONIDAZOLE. It is difficult for a Vet to diagnose Giardia from a stool sample. It is best if the dog is at the vet who gets the stool sample right from the rectum of the dog. By doing this the sample is fresh and its easier to see the Giardia.

Both Coccidia and Giardia need to be diagnosed by a Vet and the medication needs to be dispensed by a Vet.

PUDDING DIARRHEA

When a dog had pudding diarrhea I know that there is something going on with the dog. Pudding sends up a small red flag and my kennel staff knows they need to tell me when we see it. That dog needs to be monitored until it is back to laying logs.

Pudding diarrhea can be caused from:

--changing the food our dogs eat can cause diarrhea
--over feeding the dog can cause diarrehea
--eating garbage can cause diarrhea
--stress can cause diarrhea
--exercise or excitement can cause diarrhea

The fact is that when I see pudding diarrhea I start to ask myself why it's happening.

When I see pudding diarrhea I have my kennel staff add a little canned pumpkin their daily food ration. Canned pumpkin not only helps firm up stool's on dogs it also helps when they are constipated ( a strange thing - it helps in both ways).

If you feed a natural diet it is a simple thing to add pumpkin. The dogs will easily accept it. If you feed a kibble diet they may not want to eat it. In which case you may have to think about medication if the pudding gets too loose.

Some of the option are Kaopectate, Imodium AD (A full human dose either in liquid or pill).

You could also try a product called DiaBac. This is a homeopathic remedy that works for bacterial diarrhea symptoms. This can be used against e-coil, salmonella, diet, water changes, environment change, stress or food allergies.

BROWN WATER DIARRHEA

Brown water diarrhea is a serious situation, its a sign of a sick puppy.

Brown water diarrhea cannot be ignores. When a puppy has water diarrhea you need to be very careful that the pup does not get too dehydrated. If you cannot stop the diarrhea within 24 hours you need to get it to a vet.

What I recommend new puppy owners do when they get their dog is to become familiar with what a healthy puppy feels like. By that I mean learn how loose his skin is. A healthy well hydrated pup has loose skin on his back. You can grab it and it will pull up and away from the muscle structure of the dog. When a pup begins to get dehydrated the skin feels tight. It is more difficult to pull it away from the body mass.

When this happens you need to re-hydrate this pup as quickly as possible. Start by making sure he has plenty of water to drink. You can also give the pup pedialyte. Go to the baby section of Wal Mart and buy unflavored Pediatric Electrolyte. If the pup will not drink this by itself then try adding a little chicken broth (also found in the soup section at the grocery store).

When a dog has diarrhea it is a good idea to take the dog off solid food for a day. This allows the gut to rest. Dogs and pups can easily go for a day without food. They cannot go without water. So a dog that is drinking plenty of water is not as serious as a dog that will not drink.

If a pup will not drink then it needs to go to your vet. The pup needs to go on IV fluids and receive the appropriate medical treatment.

BROWN WATER DIARRHEA WITH BLOOD

If you see brown water diarrhea with blood in it you have a medical emergency. You need to get this puppy to the vet right now. If you wait for a day or two you very possibly could have a dead puppy.

Pups can dehydrate and die within 24 to 48 hours unless they have medical treatment. It is beyond the scope of pet owners to deal with blood in diarrhea.

GENERAL COMMENTS:

One thing I would recommend is to be sure that you don't allow your Vet to give any vaccinations while your dog has any kind of issues with loose stools. You would also not want to give vaccinations while your dog is taking antibiotics. This can lead to long term health problems.

If your pup continues to have long term soft stools you may want to take a look at what you are feeding the dog. Some dogs can be sensitive to certain dog foods. To determine if this is the problem you should try and isolate the source of the problem. If you are feeding a natural diet stop feeding grains and veggies. Just feed meat for awhile. If you feed kibble, feed something like California Natural or Sensible Choice. These foods do not have a lot of ingredients.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that is great Heather. I know that puppies have a tendency to get Coccidia when going to their new homes and Kiah has her bouts with Giardia cause she sure likes drinking out of puddles at the dog park but the article sure helps make sense of a lot of other things to look for.

G
#4 ·
this is very helpful! trip had the coccidia and giardia when we got him... one thiing to add about the coccidia... one way to tell if it is coccidia is the diarrhea usually has some blood in it and has mucus as well... that is a pretty significant sign of it

#5 ·
Excellent article Heather :up: Hoping this will answer a lot of questions that seem to come up regarding pups and make people realize and understand that a lot of this is quite normal, does not mean that the breeder is at fault, puppies get the runs, fact of life and when you bring a new pup home, it's a huge adjustment for them as well as us...

#7 ·
Puppy Diarreah

Great article. Our puppies (brother & sister) have had puddling poo since we brought them home 7 days ago. We are feeding them the same dog food the breeder gave them (Chicken soup for the Puppy Lovers Soul), Strange name. I called our local vet to get them started with regular check ups but they will not see them until they are 8 weeks old (Next week). I started giving them rice with their food 2 days ago on the recommendation of our vet but have not seen things change. I will try the canned pumpkin tonight. We keep giving them plenty of water. They seem playful and happy aside from the poo problem. It was not an option leaving them with the mother any longer unfortunately. Minus the mother's milk they are getting much better care with us. They are being crate trained and can usually hold it until we can let them out but sometimes it is hard for them to hold the puddles. Sometime it can come out pretty fast. We are hoping for logs...much more fun to clean up!
Any other info would be great. Oh also can we just give them rice or pumpkin in place of their kibbles?
We just want the "kids" to get regular, I am sure they will feel much better for it.
-D.Zack

#11 · (Edited)
Help! Diarrhea is beginning to have more Chronic symptoms

Very helpful thread! HOWEVER, what does not make sense is that our two boxers have had the "brown watery with blood" stool and one had mucus in hers as well. I am starting to get scared... they were diagnosed with Giardia 4 weeks ago. They completed a two week METRONIDAZOLE treatment, ending with negative results. Had logs for maybe 2 days, tops. Then it started with slight looseness and continued to what we have been seeing for the last 4 days. Vet stated it might have been a false-negative and placed them on another two week treatment of METRONIDAZOLE. Nothing has changed. Good news is they are as energetic as ever, drink water and eating (at times vomiting everything back up immediately).

Here is a rundown of their history for the past few months: (currently 9 mos old)
1. We moved to a different climate December 29th - colder winters, different allergies, from a 1800 sq ft home in country with a fenced yard, to a run down apt in city with a 5x8 foot constant shaded area to poo/play. *We have since got creative, they must stay on leash so been in backyard and walked in alley or fromt sidewallk. If Giardia this is definitely where it happened!!

2. STRESS: One vet said probably mites, other just dry skin or collar causing problems. Our male has a half-dollar sized marking on his neck and both have various small bites. The move was a depressing one, where we had to leave my husband. (He did act in rage to the dogs and vet suggested that they both probably have some male intimidation issues). So probably for the better. On top of that, there is a lot of animosity between my lazy teens and male neighbor. SINCE THEY SENSE ALL THIS, CAN PUPPIES HAVE A WEAKENED IMMUNE SYSTEM? Causing something like diarrhea for this long?

3. We changed foods, everything is now grain-free; from Diamond High Energy to TOTW Pacific Steam (both wet and dry) to TOTW Fowl mix, back to TOTW Pacific Stream. CURRENTLY, vet has them eating small portions about 3-4 times a day of chicken and rice.

4. They love to chew - tennis balls, kong toys, my shoe, tough treats, table chairs and get on the counters and take food (worst was 4-6 raw pork chops).

5. They have managed to drink human potty water on several occasions!

Other then that I am a single mom looking for a better place for all of us but would consider to foster care our babies until things change. PLMK what I can do right now, I may not be aware of all my options. I love my babies too much =)

Thanks for any help and/or advice in this matter.

#12 ·
this must be stressful for you as well.... Have you consider raw diet? Bella had issues and they have all cleared up since she started to eat raw .... plus if they were on antibiotics you could go and get some acidopholus for intestinal health,,, and or just feed them boiled chicken and rice until their tummy issues clear up....
good luck and hope things turn around for you... plus if you make this a different thread you will get more advice...

#13 ·
For the giardia - it can be hard to get rid of. Metronizadole doesn't always work well. Panacur would be a better choice of treatment. And make sure to pick up after them right away of they can re-infect themselves. You should also give them a bath at some point while they are being treated. It might be hard to decontaminate your shady yard. Here is a good link on giardia Giardia

Stress can lower their immune system, did they actually do a scraping to test for mites?

I feed TOTW, but when I fed the Pacific Stream formula it made my two shed horribly so I switched to the Sierra Mountain (same protein level) and a lot less shedding.

As far as the chewing and counter surfing - they are at that mischevious age and need more exercise. Can you take them on longer walks? Even if that means getting in the car and driving to a park somewhere?

I am sorry you have had to downgrade your living quarters. Too bad you could have not stayed in the nice house and thrown the husband out !

:)

#14 ·
I thought the same thing about throwing the hubby out...so sorry you are going through such a stressful time...hang in there...the above tips are good . I would also suggest going for longer walks if possible - also benefical for you too-

#15 ·
Thank you all for the advice so far. I actually tried t give their stomach a break from the prescription (both vomited white and foamy a few times). So got some more natural method going on: Pet Pectin and a vitamin supplement and sure enough today they both gave a semi-solid log :) Big difference from the other?!?

The vet mentioned how they are both similarly responding to everything going on. How is that? Not even close from the same lineage.

I also should be moving soon ~ which would be absolutely awesome with a nice fenced yard, still in the city but much nicer. Hopefully I can afford it, that is the only thing right now. I was a homemaker so that is why I left him with the house... trying to be real even though he was what he was to us! Despite the housing and sick babies the move has been a blessing to us, much better =)

#17 ·
Diarrhea in Puppies Leerburg | Diarrhea in Puppies

By Ed Frawley
copyright 2003

I have bred dogs since 1978, over 340 litters of German Shepherds. This translates into raising a lot of puppies and a fair bit of experience with puppy diarrhea.

Over the years I have seen my share of sick dogs and puppies. One of the most common problems we see with puppies is diarrhea.

This articled is intended to help people come to terms with puppy diarrhea. It is not intended to diagnose all of the causes of diarrhea or even to tell the reader how to cure the problem under every circumstance. It is simple intended to pass on some of the knowledge I have gained over the years when my puppies get sick.

I will explain the different kinds of diarrhea and pass on some of the options that I have learned that can be used by pet owners to control the problem of puppy diarreha.

THERE ARE 4 KINDS OF STOOL

1- Normal Logs

2- Pudding Diarreha- soft stools that will mound up

3- Brown Water Diarrhea

4- Brown Water Diarrhea with blood

We all strive for our dogs to have normal stool. If my dogs have a normal temperature (101 to 102 in dogs) and if they are laying logs I know that these are two important indications that the dogs are healthy. There are always exceptions to this rule (i.e. a dog with cancer) but in general this is are pretty accurate statement.

PARASITES AND DIARRHEA:

If a dog gets diarrhea as a result of parasites, the most common causes are Coccidia or Giardia. Both will cause diarrhea, but each requires different medication.

All dogs have some level of Coccidia in their gut. When a dog is stressed (i.e. being shipped, moving into a new environment etc ) the stress can cause the Coccidia to bloom and flair up causing diarrhea. The solution is to give the dog ALBON. How much and how it is administered is a question for your vet.

Humans get Giardia when they drink water that has fecal matter in it. When you go camping and drink water from a stream you can get Giardia. When dogs get Giardia they need to be treated with METRONIDAZOLE. It is difficult for a Vet to diagnose Giardia from a stool sample. It is best if the dog is at the vet who gets the stool sample right from the rectum of the dog. By doing this the sample is fresh and its easier to see the Giardia.

Both Coccidia and Giardia need to be diagnosed by a Vet and the medication needs to be dispensed by a Vet.

PUDDING DIARRHEA

When a dog had pudding diarrhea I know that there is something going on with the dog. Pudding sends up a small red flag and my kennel staff knows they need to tell me when we see it. That dog needs to be monitored until it is back to laying logs.

Pudding diarrhea can be caused from:

--changing the food our dogs eat can cause diarrhea
--over feeding the dog can cause diarrehea
--eating garbage can cause diarrhea
--stress can cause diarrhea
--exercise or excitement can cause diarrhea

The fact is that when I see pudding diarrhea I start to ask myself why it's happening.

When I see pudding diarrhea I have my kennel staff add a little canned pumpkin their daily food ration. Canned pumpkin not only helps firm up stool's on dogs it also helps when they are constipated ( a strange thing - it helps in both ways).

If you feed a natural diet it is a simple thing to add pumpkin. The dogs will easily accept it. If you feed a kibble diet they may not want to eat it. In which case you may have to think about medication if the pudding gets too loose.

Some of the option are Kaopectate, Imodium AD (A full human dose either in liquid or pill).

You could also try a product called DiaBac. This is a homeopathic remedy that works for bacterial diarrhea symptoms. This can be used against e-coil, salmonella, diet, water changes, environment change, stress or food allergies.

BROWN WATER DIARRHEA

Brown water diarrhea is a serious situation, its a sign of a sick puppy.

Brown water diarrhea cannot be ignores. When a puppy has water diarrhea you need to be very careful that the pup does not get too dehydrated. If you cannot stop the diarrhea within 24 hours you need to get it to a vet.

What I recommend new puppy owners do when they get their dog is to become familiar with what a healthy puppy feels like. By that I mean learn how loose his skin is. A healthy well hydrated pup has loose skin on his back. You can grab it and it will pull up and away from the muscle structure of the dog. When a pup begins to get dehydrated the skin feels tight. It is more difficult to pull it away from the body mass.

When this happens you need to re-hydrate this pup as quickly as possible. Start by making sure he has plenty of water to drink. You can also give the pup pedialyte. Go to the baby section of Wal Mart and buy unflavored Pediatric Electrolyte. If the pup will not drink this by itself then try adding a little chicken broth (also found in the soup section at the grocery store).

When a dog has diarrhea it is a good idea to take the dog off solid food for a day. This allows the gut to rest. Dogs and pups can easily go for a day without food. They cannot go without water. So a dog that is drinking plenty of water is not as serious as a dog that will not drink.

If a pup will not drink then it needs to go to your vet. The pup needs to go on IV fluids and receive the appropriate medical treatment.

BROWN WATER DIARRHEA WITH BLOOD

If you see brown water diarrhea with blood in it you have a medical emergency. You need to get this puppy to the vet right now. If you wait for a day or two you very possibly could have a dead puppy.

Pups can dehydrate and die within 24 to 48 hours unless they have medical treatment. It is beyond the scope of pet owners to deal with blood in diarrhea.

GENERAL COMMENTS:

One thing I would recommend is to be sure that you don't allow your Vet to give any vaccinations while your dog has any kind of issues with loose stools. You would also not want to give vaccinations while your dog is taking antibiotics. This can lead to long term health problems.

If your pup continues to have long term soft stools you may want to take a look at what you are feeding the dog. Some dogs can be sensitive to certain dog foods. To determine if this is the problem you should try and isolate the source of the problem. If you are feeding a natural diet stop feeding grains and veggies. Just feed meat for awhile. If you feed kibble, feed something like California Natural or Sensible Choice. These foods do not have a lot of ingredients.
Great information shared. I have heard that puppies have tendency to get coccidia and giardia when we people get them. After reading this article I will take well care of my puppy and will take her to vet also.

#20 ·
There are various reasons of Diarrhea in Dogs such as:

Change in diet

Food intolerance

Ingestion of garbage or spoiled food

Allergic reaction

Bacterial or viral infection

Internal parasites, such as roundworms, coccidia and giardia etc.

Hence, it is often recommended that you avoid giving your dog any food for 12-24 hours while he’s experiencing diarrhoea, but do provide plenty of fresh, clean water to stave off dehydration and also check with your veterinarian about the proper course of treatment for your dog’s specific case.

#21 ·
New Puppies - Need Advice

Good morning,

I have two new puppies that I brought home Sunday night. They turned 6 weeks yesterday. I believe I am experiencing pudding poop with both of them. I would like to try the pumpkin, how much do I use.

The owners were feeding the pups once a day with puppy chow moistened with milk. Should I still be doing that? Everything I've read says they should be eating three times per day. Maybe I am feeding them too much? I stuck with the same brand of dog food, just a different variety. They have plenty of water, and are eating the kibble dry. Should I be moistening it? Should I still be giving them milk?

They are very active, so I am not worried that it is more than the changes, I just to help them along.

Also, this morning I fed them at 5:45 am. My little guy had still not pooped by the time I left for work at 7:40 am.

Please help, I want them to progress properly and do not want to do anything wrong.

Thank you,
Andrea :doubt:

#22 ·
Wow they were young when you got them! I'm no expert, but from reading around: the pup should be eating at least 3 times a day now. Just kibble, no milk. Whenever I give my girl pumpkin I usually just add a tablespoon and mix it into her kibble. What brand of kibble are you feeding? It should be a 4-5 star rating. If not, start switching over. Good quality food makes such a difference in dogs! A lot of people feed RAW diet on here, but if you don't want to do that, make sure the kibble has a few meats in the first few ingredients, you don't want corn or soy anywhere, or any kind of fillers. Hopefully someone with a little more experience will back me up haha. Good luck with the babes!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#24 · (Edited)
Yes if you choose to feed kibble, a 4 or 5 star rated grain free kibble is best if you can afford it. They can be on the pricey side. Here's a wesbite that can help you with your choice: Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor

Make sure you switch over gradually over 7-14 days. Do not just switch over cold turkey because that can cause severe tummy upset!

Feed according to the instructions on the bag. At their age you should split the daily portion into 3 meals.

Since you have littermates there is another issue you shuold be aware of: littermate syndrome. You can read more about it here: http://www.boxerforums.com/puppies-eggheads-fur-babies/97146-raising-littermates.html

#25 ·
Like babies puppies do astound on a typical calendar.

Like babies puppies do astound on a typical calendar. The motivation shows them that there are circumstances to eat, occasions to play and cases to do their venture. For the most part, talking, a residential pooch can control their bladder one hour for each long stretch of age. So on the off chance that your household puppy is months collectible, they can safeguard it for about hours. Try not to cross longer than this among loo breaks or they're guaranteed to have a fortuitous event.

For more info about dog training click the link below.
how to potty train a puppy with a bell // Dog bells are very useful for dog //

#26 ·
https://newshealthpro.com/krygen-xl/

of it hangs down. However slicing the suspensory ligament can cause an erect penis to be unstable. Severing the suspensory ligament is occasionally combined with other methods, Krygen XL inclusive of casting off extra fat over the pubic bone. A method to make the penis thicker entails taking fats from a fleshy part of the body and injecting it into the penis shaft. Results may be disappointing, but, due to the fact some.

https://newshealthpro.com/krygen-xl/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.