Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was watching tv on the couch last night about midnight or so. Diesel wandered into my bedroom, and I heard him jump on the bed, Then whine a little bit. I sat up, wondering what was wrong, since he's normally a very quiet dog. He came right back out to the living room, sat down and licked his foot. I looked at the corner of the blanket he sat on, and noticed a big red spot where his foot just was. I jumped off the couch, and tried to look at it, but he started running into the kitchen, leaving huge blood spots behind him. When he finally sat down in the kitchen I grabbed the roll of paper towel and wrapped some around his foot right away trying to stop the bleeding. When I was finally able to see what was going on, it looks like his 2nd nail on his back left foot has a cut either under, or on the side of it. There's a small cut on the side of his right foot as well, so I'm thinking when he jumped up on my bed, somehow his back feet hit together and maybe lifted one of his nails up a little bit or something.
He was in a lot of pain last night, pacing around for a while and licking everything he could, even though I put gauze and an ace bandage around his foot.
I'm not sure what I should do. I've touched his nail, and it's not wiggling or loose or anything, so I'm guessing it's just a cut under it. The bleeding has stopped, and he's not in as much pain as last night, but he's very hesitant to walk on it.

Any advice?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It does sound like he lifted his nail which seems to be very painful to them.  I would associate it to us hitting our nail with a hammer.  If the nail is not loose (can wiggle it around) then it will be okay.  If it become loose or the toe starts to swell they can get an infection around the/under the nail.

I would soak his foot in warm water and Epson Salt and then put Neosporin around the toe nail and then wrap it for a few days...Repeating the process two to three times a day....

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It may be a few days before he really wants to use it....So dont be alarmed about that....What you want to watch for is swelling in that toe itself or the web around it.....Good luck!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's walking around like normal, but still turning himself around to lick at his foot everytime he stops walking. I dont have epson salt but I just put neosporin and an ace bandage around it, My mom is picking my daughter soon up to spend the night tonight, she's bringing her epson salt with her. I will keep looking for any swelling, how often should I soak his foot, and add new neosporin?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Diesel....How's the toe doing this morning?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Awe, poor Diesel, I'm sorry he hurt his food and hope it heals up really quick!!!  Kane ripped the toenails on all four feet when he spooked and took off running down the road about 3 months ago and it really scared me too.  His feet bleed for several days as he tore them down to the quick and the leash bouncing behind him cut his feet too.  It was a bloody mess for several days, but I did what Sharon said to do and they did heal up within about a week.  Hope he is okay and sorry you have to go through this.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it was pretty scary to see all that blood. Not to mention that it must have hurt a great deal when he did it, because there was a 'wet' spot on my bed next to some of the blood. I can only guess that he pee'd a little bit when it happened because it hurt so badly.
Such a mess. Poor guy.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
aww poor boy..i hope hes feeling a little better today? is there something for pain thats ok to give him that wont hinder the healing process?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope Diesel is feeling better today.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, he's doing much better. He's not hesitating to walk on it, and he's still jumping around like normal. there's what looks like a blood clot type scab where the cut is under his nail. He licks it every once in a while, but he's not focusing on it like he was before.
I'm glad he's feeling better!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Aaaahhh, glad to hear that his nail isn't bothering him his much..Bless his heart...Boxers have a high threshold for pain, so it takes a lot to get to them, but it's us that freaks out.... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts