Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ugh this crazy puppy spaz, burst of energy thing is killing me. Last night, Diesel was zooming around the living room, jumping on the spare couch (you know when you push the back of the couch, and the front legs lift off the ground? Yeah it was doing that) then coming up to the couch I was on, jumping on me (ouch!) then starting his rounds all over again.
He doesn't bite, but when he flies through the air, and lands on the couch, or me so hard I'm sure he'll break one of us.

How do I stop him, mid spaz moment? It's driving me nuts! Plus, last night it was about 11pm or so when he had it. and I thought the couch thumping back down to the floor would wake up my daughter. And the people living at least 3 houses down! lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sometimes when we let Macy out to go to the bathroom she would take off as fast as she could and do about 4 laps around the house at top speed. When you were sitting inside you could just hear the loud thumps from her running.  :lol:

It sounds like he just has some extra energy that he's trying to get out. We have been walking our dogs about 4 miles each night and they pass out by 10.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sorry to laugh but I can just picture it.  The first time I saw Kiah run at me (we were outside); I thought OMG she is going to break every bone in my body when she hits me.   I screamed "off"; I think I scared both of us and she ran right by me.  She will hit the couches inside like you described when she burns but not me yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Roxy gets the burns also.  Usually she is outside when it happens.  It can get tiring especially when it's at 11:30 at night and I take her out to potty.  Diesel is just letting out that unused energy.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin does this but not if we were able to get a walk in during the day. He'll come back and be so tired he just sleeps the rest of the evening. If we weren't able to walk him due to weather or schedule... which NOTHING replaces a walk but I'll wear him out by running him up and down the hall playing fetch, chasing him around the house, etc.

·
Registered
292 Posts
yeah, we didn't get a chance to walk Macy last night and she was still begging me to throw her toy last night at 11. She was running all over the joint...

·
Registered
186 Posts
i always tell harley in a stern voice to "calm it down" and almost instantly she stops in her tracks and calms down. that is a funny story though with the mental pic i am getting. maybe try teaching him a command to calm down when he gets to rough.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I pretty much do the same as Summer does with Angel and it generally works very well...She has this routine in the morning, after breakfast, she does the boxer burn thru the house for about 10 minutes, usually trying to get Samson to play with her..If it sounds like it's getting out of hand, all I have to say is 'ANGEL" and she quits...It's excess energy, Diesel just needs a way to get rid of it..Same problem I have with Angel...The hooligan  :lol:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep Fiona does the same thing if she has not been very active during the day.  She has jumped so hard and fast that she has cleared the top of the couch that she is trying to jump on.  She has got me a few times by accident, and yeah it hurts!  I tell her NO very loud when she is coming at me in a full burn out moment.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yep i know what you mean. Zeus and Dante will play chase for a burn. Running from one end of the house to the other end. They have literally run me over and knocked me down while they were in a full sprint with Dante the tank knocking me down  :lol: with his huge strength and then Zeus just ran over me while i was already down. It hurt but i yelled 'CALM DOWN" before they could do it again while i was still down. And they stop. But i now just stay out of the way so i dont get hurt, but i let them know when it is time to stop. Diesel is just letting the burst of energy rip.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I learned (the hard way!) long ago NOT to try and dodge Tink if she comes running at me full tilt when we're out for a walk and she's off the lead.  If I stay still she always just pulls away at the last second but if I try to dodge her I invariably go in the same direction she was and I end up being taken out of it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well we had our first dog class last night. It's the one that my mom has helped out with for the last 6 years, so no charge for me. :) The 2 people that teach it breed and show goldens, and guess what the class was full of? lol there were 6, yes 6 golden retrievers in class. Then a little toy poodle, and a mixed breed with huge ears.

One boy, in his early teens I'm guessing is on his 4th puppy. I guess he kept getting them from bad breeders, so they had major health issues, and kept dying! So this time around Patty (one of the teachers) just gave him one of her pups! I thought that was so nice of her.

but anyways, Diesel has known sit and down since 8 weeks, but in class, it's a different story. So we had them sit at our sides and worked on stay. Diesel did very well. he needed very few corections. Steve was going on and on about how much he loved boxers! He told me that diesel is a very good looking dog. and I said 'oh I know' lmao

The puppies had their play time before class, he was in heaven with all those goldens. They were nearly exactly the same age, and the same size, so they all played perfectly together. Nobody got too rough, and nobody was barking the whole time through class.

all in all it was a very good class. Diesel dropped down on the floor and fell asleep the second we came home. I'm really looking forward to next thursday. We'll be working on Heel. Diesel needs that one bad. lol

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Good going Diesel for doing well in class..I do like Goldens, that's what my sister has & me and Jake are the best if friends! My sister says he doesn't respond to hardly anyone the way he does me, guess he likes me huh? Good luck with the classes, sounds like you are off to a good start..And kudos to the trainer that gave the boy a pup after losing so many of his...That was a wonderful thing to do..

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sounds like a great class and its wonderful that all the dogs get on well together.  I love goldens; we have 5 on my olders sisters side of the family.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts