Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atticus is a very sick puppy right now.  He was diagnosed with ehrlichia (a tick-borne disease) and also has a bladder infection.  We switched him over to raw food last Sunday, then back to kibble for one day (yesterday) on the vet's advice (he isn't a raw food proponent... warned us about salmonella infections which I know from much research is NOT any greater concern with raw-fed dogs than kibble, and may even be less of a concern with raw feeding).  Anyway, we're back to raw today, but after reading Dr. Pitcairn's book over the last couple of days I'm wondering if we should be doing some other combination of raw and perhaps oatmeal or veggies.  He actually recommends fasting a sick dog, but since Atticus is only a four-month old puppy, I'm pretty sure that would be very unwise.  

Does anyone out there have advice for us as we nurse our little guy back to health?  And please don't say kibble!!!  I'm not even wild about the idea of any grains at all since they're not a natural part of a canine's diet, but am willing to consider some human-grade, cooked grains if it might help ease him through the healing process.  

By the way, I had read, over and over again, that that all-too-familiar "doggy odor" is not natural, but is a direct result of diet.  Atticus had a VERY strong doggy-odor on Sunday, the day we switched to raw.  By Wednesday, he smelled fresh as a daisy.  Then, after ONE DAY of kibble feeding yesterday, the doggy-odor is back in spades.  Amazing!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
When my last dog was very sick and could barely eat our vet also suggested the cooked rice and hamburger. It took her a little big to get her appetite back up but she was able to eat the rice and hamburger.

I hope your puppy is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I don't have any suggestions other than the rice and hamburger, but sure hope Atticus feels better soon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just an FYI if you plan on feeding the hamburger and rice.  Our vet suggests boiling chicken instead of hamburger because it has less grease.

Have you heard of Satin Balls?  I've used this food to put weight on my dogs in the past and the ingredients are all raw.  It contains, raw hamburger, gelatin powder, total cereal, molasses. raw eggs, oatmeal and wheatgerm.  It may fortify his body and give him energy.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i second the chicken and rice. That is what we used for Savannah when she first came to us. it was more to entice her to eat but she loved it. Boiled chicken and rice are bland enough so that it doesnt unsettle the stomach

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions!  His appetite is actually pretty healthy (um, let me rephrase that:  He's being a little PIG!) so getting him to eat isn't a problem.  He's feeling much perkier tonight... kidney-beaning a bit for the first time in days, and just all-around more alert and bright-eyed.  

This really is a fantastic forum of incredibly generous and caring souls.  I can't tell you how much it helps to have you all to turn to at times like this.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Everyone has given you some good advice, I'll just add that I hope Atticus starts feeling better...Interesting what you said about the "doggie odor" and the change in food, didn't think that would make that much of a difference, obviously I was wrong...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
samsonsmom\";p=\"28043 said:
Interesting what you said about the "doggie odor" and the change in food, didn't think that would make that much of a difference, obviously I was wrong...
Honestly, I had read that that was one of the obvious differences with a change to a raw diet but pretty much disbelieved it.  I've had or been around dogs all my life.  They ALL had that "doggy odor."  Well, I now know that the "all" consists of kibble/commercially-fed dogs.  

I tend to research things to death.  I've spent upwards of 60 hours over the past couple of weeks googling dogs and nutrition and the chemistry involved in the equation.  I know that there are few people out there who are willing or able to spend that kind of time researching their dog's diet, or the resources to implement the best diet if they do.  

As a "for instance." I have a friend who accidentally picked up a bag of "vegetarian" dog food.  HUH?  Dogs are so far from being vegetarians that I can't imagine what this crap is made of.  But my friend says "They love it!"

Um, so what?!!?!?!?   I love potato chips, and would eat nothing BUT potato chips if I didn't know any better.  Obviously, that's not good for me, and I am (barely) educated enough to understand that.  A dog is NOT able to discern "yummy" from "good for me" by taste any better than we are.  This same friend  told me tonight that I am  "spending so much time on research" that I'm "not taking the time to enjoy my puppy."  I wisely STFU for a change.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Ann, I would really just try to boost the immune system.

I dont think since its a blood virus, that feeding kibble would make a difference.   It it were a certain virus of one of the organ used in digestion, then I can see where diet could become a factor.  I am no expert, but the main thing is that you I think need to get the immune system up and strong to battle off infections.

I would add to your raw some liquid echinacea, coconut oil, a probiotic, or yogurt.  Maybe also add in some fish oils.  Puppies have very weak immune systems hence why they can contract many little things - they are like newborns.   I had a little virus in Hanna, vet said it would take months to go away.  I started to add in immune boosters, and it went away within a couple of weeks.  

To me its safe, no an antibiotic, and can help in building white blood cell counts leading to improved health:)

Good Luck and sorry your little guy is not feeling well:(

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HannaBanana\";p=\"28064 said:
I would add to your raw some liquid echinacea, coconut oil, a probiotic, or yogurt.

I just need a clarification (because of the "or"):  I should add echinacea AND coconut oil AND either a probiotic or yogurt?  I was at Vitamin Shoppe yesterday and plopped down just under fifty bucks for various supplements for his diet that were recommended by Dr. Pitcairn, but he didn't mention any of these.  Guess I'm goin' back to VS today!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts