Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat curious about the differences between German and American Boxers. As i understand it, most top American Boxers have - so to speak - German ancestors, a.k.a. Sigurd v. Dom. Based on this fact shouldn't they look like the typical German Boxer?

Instead it seems as if the nose is slightly longer and the physique / build is less "heavy" / muscular. However, they do seem to have more energy. This is according to the pictures and videos i saw so far. Yet there seems to be no difference in the Standard.

So is it just me having a wrong sense of perception or is there truly a difference?

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
I'd say misconception an urban legend that if kept may become the norm :lol:

I had a sturdy female with short nose perfect black mask awesome fawn robe that was bred between a male from Texas and a female from Canada. (very similar to Greg's dogs but nowhere near as tall)

Longer snouts are just some differences picked up along the way from diff. kind of breeders I guess.

·
Banned
143 Posts
An American Boxer as most American breeds has been "refined". They are thinner (when you look at the show dogs such as Greigs). European Boxers have more of the "working dog" build to them. English Boxers are somewhere in between. European Boxers do not show well in America, and Americans do not show well in Europe.

Compair the three using these as examples.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Ok,according to this link my Valant has waaaay too much substance :lol:

·
Banned
143 Posts
Second page Boxer on the right is Vada's grandsire. In-petto von German Dream. Sweet!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually had wondered the same thing for a long time. I finally got to see a german boxer up close and personal. Believe me when I tell you that the german boxer is a much sturdier looking animal. That dog looked like he was at least 100 lbs !!!! The head of a germna boxer is HUGE. If you can picture a really really really big pug then you will have a pretty good idea of what the german boxer looks like. very impressive to look at. They just project raw power. But they are rather sluggish and not as active as the american boxer.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The Worldwide Boxer site is the best example of the difference in styles - interpretations of the standard in various countries. The North American and Continental dogs - very generally speaking - are at opposite ends of the spectrum, with the UK, Scandinavian and Australian dogs more closely toward the correct spot in the middle.

That said, there are many correct dogs in any country that would do well in any other country, save the tails/ears issue (some countries allow a choice, others do not).

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
One big difference I've noticed, having had both, is the strength of the Euro Boxer. Our American was very stocky, and weighed 82 lbs. Gus had the same pulling power at 5 months, and at 1-1/2 years (72 lb) even my husband has a heck of a time holding on to him. Using the halter that leashes up on his chest helps, but I think ongoing, advanced obedience work is mandatory. It's like having a tiger by the tail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great thread! I love the German boxers... I love the American boxers with the heavier build and the heavier, boxier head. My pup is an American boxer, but a heavier built one.... I adore that look. My second pup, from next year, will be a Joshu Z Ringu son, out of a Belgium daughter. I will have one American; one Euro. One might say that I am confused! I want only males. I will not breed dogs. i will refer folks to my breeders.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ddhelynn, why only males? If you're talking about getting involved with Schutzhund sport with a German import here in the US, many of the females are getting the top titles in competition. They may be smaller in build, but can really kick butt:clap2:

Ann WI
Gus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! I don't think the comparison makes sense. Friederum Shtokman, the founder of the breed, a 19-year-old student, born in 1891 in Riga, made a sculpture of a boxer, which was exhibited in 1910 at an art exhibition in Munich and attracted everyone's attention. It was not just a sculpture, it was a shrewd glimpse into the future of the breed. showed the path of development of the breed for many years.
Ms. Shtokman devoted her whole life to making the boxer exactly the way she imagined him in those ancient times. Look at the photo.
Boxer - Google Drive
These are real German Boxers, bred in Germany and Europe, where the breed standard was created. Look at the heads, at the body. The philosophy of the breed is power, energy, and poise, with absolute friendliness. Nothing can be ruled out, only in the totality of these traits is the soul of the German boxer. Sorry for my English.😊

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi everyone! I don't think the comparison makes sense. Friederum Shtokman, the founder of the breed, a 19-year-old student, born in 1891 in Riga, made a sculpture of a boxer, which was exhibited in 1910 at an art exhibition in Munich and attracted everyone's attention. It was not just a sculpture, it was a shrewd glimpse into the future of the breed. showed the path of development of the breed for many years.
Ms. Shtokman devoted her whole life to making the boxer exactly the way she imagined him in those ancient times. Look at the photo.
Boxer - Google Drive
These are real German Boxers, bred in Germany and Europe, where the breed standard was created. Look at the heads, at the body. The philosophy of the breed is power, energy, and poise, with absolute friendliness. Nothing can be ruled out, only in the totality of these traits is the soul of the German boxer. Sorry for my English.😊
Where did you find this information?

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Boxer - Google Drive
Well Welcome, and first you have no need to "apologize," for your English??? And most likely ... much better than mine?? I tend to like compound complex sentences with lot's of conjunction's! I picked that "crap," up from William Faulkner, many year's ... well decades ago ... the master of a one page sentence!!! So yeah ....

Now that said, here we go! The Boxer came to America ... "twice," the Boxer was already here before WWll, but in American ... "No Cared?" Those first dog's were most likely all 100 percent German?? Bigger build shorter nose and much to "serious a dog for the average American to cope with??? No one cared???

The Renaissance for the "Boxer," came in America after WWll, when the "troop's," coming home from the war brought there dog's with them. And the "Dog Men," of WWII, sought to
change them, to make them more suitable for the "American Audience," and they did ... just that! As they felt ... the original dog's, "were to ferocious," to be let lose on an unsuspecting "American Public??" So they changed them ... and they got it right, I must say!

And the "Boxer," 2.0 became a hit in America, after WWII! Slimier,narrow build .. with a Deep Chest and a longer narrower muzzle but also... a different "Temperament??" In a nut shell ... a "People Friendly Dog!" And a "by product of ... whatever they did?? Was the dog's were now ... uh, Kinda Goofy?? AKA ... "The Clown Prince of the Dog World???" I have no idea what they did?? But it is a thing???

But ... whatever?? They got it right for us! And Boxer's in America became hit ... ever since! By contrast LOL, the WL GSD guy's felt there dog's were just fine (for the most part) after WWII?? No need for change??

And yeah there is "also," an American Line GSD ... but depending on who you talk to, that has not worked out as well as the "American Line Boxer," ... just saying! :)

And yes if want's the real deal "WL Boxer," get a "Euro," and sure Brittish, Germany etc, ... not from here, so all the same??? And the Euro Boxer's are still doing the same job "LE K9," thing ... they always did. But these day's all the "Real Deal," LE K9 Boxer's ... in American are all in the "Mid West???"

And most of them seen to come from here ....

Home of "Kevin Von Grand Kevin" :

Now that ... is a Boxer! But hey ... "Kevin,"is more dog than I need??? I unexpectedly got close to a "Kevin???" With my first WL GSD?? Wored out fine ... in the long run but a lot of work to make him "Safe," with the public!! !

By contrast my "100," percent, American Line Boxer, Struddell is much more "what an American Public," expects in a "Dog??" And sure, sigh she could be a "PIA," at times ...

Par for the course. On here ... we get to lot's of "issue's" come up. And by and large the "issue's are all the same?? IE m,y Boxer is making me nut's! But for the most part, what we don't tend see?? Is Human Aggression Issue?? It is just simple extremely rare ... in Boxer World??

By contrast with the other "WL Dog," aka a WL GSD ... on Germanshepardforum, owner's have issue's ... ever freaking day!!! The "Boxer," by contrast has done much better! :)

Now I "personally," will not recommend a "WL GSD," to any one I know! A Boxer on the hand ... well maybe??? Any "Boxer," can be time consuming "Hair Pulling PIA??" But hey they aren't likely to get you sued?? But "here" you say "Boxer??" And JQP, tend's to know nothing of "Euro or American Boxer," a Boxer is a Boxer??"

I know nothing of the "Euro's," myself?? As my "experience," is with the AL Boxer. So I find the "Euro's ... suspect?? As I don't want a "WL GSD," in a "Boxer Suit," myself?? Now most likely that's not a fair comparison??

As we have lot's of Euro folk's on here and no complaint's about H/A issue's?? And the Euro owner's have proclaimed that there "Boxer's" are too, just as "Goofy," as the AL Boxer's! Which is admittedly an "odd bone of contention??? But hey ... Boxer's ... you know. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well Welcome, and first you have no need to "apologize," for your English??? And most likely ... much better than mine?? I tend to like compound complex sentences with lot's of conjunction's! I picked that "crap," up from William Faulkner, many year's ... well decades ago ... the master of a one page sentence!!! So yeah ....

Now that said, here we go! The Boxer came to America ... "twice," the Boxer was already here before WWll, but in American ... "No Cared?" Those first dog's were most likely all 100 percent German?? Bigger build shorter nose and much to "serious a dog for the average American to cope with??? No one cared???

The Renaissance for the "Boxer," came in America after WWll, when the "troop's," coming home from the war brought there dog's with them. And the "Dog Men," of WWII, sought to
change them, to make them more suitable for the "American Audience," and they did ... just that! As they felt ... the original dog's, "were to ferocious," to be let lose on an unsuspecting "American Public??" So they changed them ... and they got it right, I must say!

And the "Boxer," 2.0 became a hit in America, after WWII! Slimier,narrow build .. with a Deep Chest and a longer narrower muzzle but also... a different "Temperament??" In a nut shell ... a "People Friendly Dog!" And a "by product of ... whatever they did?? Was the dog's were now ... uh, Kinda Goofy?? AKA ... "The Clown Prince of the Dog World???" I have no idea what they did?? But it is a thing???

But ... whatever?? They got it right for us! And Boxer's in America became hit ... ever since! By contrast LOL, the WL GSD guy's felt there dog's were just fine (for the most part) after WWII?? No need for change??

And yeah there is "also," an American Line GSD ... but depending on who you talk to, that has not worked out as well as the "American Line Boxer," ... just saying! :)

And yes if want's the real deal "WL Boxer," get a "Euro," and sure Brittish, Germany etc, ... not from here, so all the same??? And the Euro Boxer's are still doing the same job "LE K9," thing ... they always did. But these day's all the "Real Deal," LE K9 Boxer's ... in American are all in the "Mid West???"

And most of them seen to come from here ....

Home of "Kevin Von Grand Kevin" :

Now that ... is a Boxer! But hey ... "Kevin,"is more dog than I need??? I unexpectedly got close to a "Kevin???" With my first WL GSD?? Wored out fine ... in the long run but a lot of work to make him "Safe," with the public!! !

By contrast my "100," percent, American Line Boxer, Struddell is much more "what an American Public," expects in a "Dog??" And sure, sigh she could be a "PIA," at times ...

Par for the course. On here ... we get to lot's of "issue's" come up. And by and large the "issue's are all the same?? IE m,y Boxer is making me nut's! But for the most part, what we don't tend see?? Is Human Aggression Issue?? It is just simple extremely rare ... in Boxer World??

By contrast with the other "WL Dog," aka a WL GSD ... on Germanshepardforum, owner's have issue's ... ever freaking day!!! The "Boxer," by contrast has done much better! :)

Now I "personally," will not recommend a "WL GSD," to any one I know! A Boxer on the hand ... well maybe??? Any "Boxer," can be time consuming "Hair Pulling PIA??" But hey they aren't likely to get you sued?? But "here" you say "Boxer??" And JQP, tend's to know nothing of "Euro or American Boxer," a Boxer is a Boxer??"

I know nothing of the "Euro's," myself?? As my "experience," is with the AL Boxer. So I find the "Euro's ... suspect?? As I don't want a "WL GSD," in a "Boxer Suit," myself?? Now most likely that's not a fair comparison??

As we have lot's of Euro folk's on here and no complaint's about H/A issue's?? And the Euro owner's have proclaimed that there "Boxer's" are too, just as "Goofy," as the AL Boxer's! Which is admittedly an "odd bone of contention??? But hey ... Boxer's ... you know. :)
What a great and interesting text. I don't know anything about boxer breeding in America. It is a pity that there is a problem with aggression. In Europe, the standard is monitored, there is an international exhibition ATIBOX. An aggressive or cowardly dog is not allowed to breed and is rejected in the ring immediately. Currently, boxers are companion dogs, dogs for family and sport. They are very friendly to people and especially children. But they still have a solid shape. And the work of K9 today is performed by Malinois.😊
The German boxer is a noble dog, but it has the soul of a puppy until old age. As for the name, if there is an American Bulldog, why not an American boxer?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts