Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The German boxer is a noble dog, but it has the soul of a puppy until old age. As for the name, if there is an American Bulldog, why not an American boxer?
You got that right Ivan , Euro boxer or GSD's should have even temperaments when they are bred correctly. Some 40 years ago I had a GSD that sire and dam were both Schutzhund trained imported dogs and the breeder I purchased mine from was into training with our local GSD club. They also recommended obedience training back then and had classes for anyone who bought one of their puppies. I attended many of these and had a good stable well trained dog when i was thru. In the past I had many American line GSD's none of who had stable temperaments. I have no clue whats out their today but my next boxer or even a GSD will be a "true" euro.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I got my first dog, I bought several books about this breed. Now Google knows everything
Yeah after seeing this post i was able to find this information by searching for it specifically i had just never read or before by just frequenting boxer sites and shows. Great information thank you for posting.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ivan, I was a member of the US Boxer Association. They fly German judges over to judge Sieger shows, and more and more dogs are qualifying for the ZTP, and BH titles. Well not all the judges come from Germany. It's very interesting to watch. There are rules that restrict breeding. If you buy from a breeder in the club, you sign an agreement to spay or neuter. They are trying to bring back attributes of Boxers when they were used for working. They do Schutzhund and IPO titles, and are connected with the Federation of Working Dogs. When John Wagner, an industrialist from Milwaukee brought Boxers over from German, his kennel did well in some of the shows in Madison Square Garden. He did dock tails, and ears, and I don't think the AKC still shuns dogs that are not docked in their show rings. This US group does Schutzhund work, including bite work. I believe bite work was banned with the AKC early because it was too violent.

I have seen dogs removed from future Atibox activities if they show any aggression to other dogs or people. They are very strict here about that also. Of course there are always people that will breed this dogs just for profit. There are also bad trainers who can ruin a working dog early on.

http://www.usabox.org/ I lost my male about six months ago at 12. We enjoyed the community of owners who are breeding along these lines. There are very few clubs, and they are scattered around the US. I think it would be very important to buy a dog from a breeder who has a working club available within driving distance. These dogs can get bored, and to ensure a quality of life for them they need to train. We drove about 3 hours, round trip, for training at least a couple days a week.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ivan, I was a member of the US Boxer Association. They fly German judges over to judge Sieger shows, and more and more dogs are qualifying for the ZTP, and BH titles. Well not all the judges come from Germany. It's very interesting to watch. There are rules that restrict breeding. If you buy from a breeder in the club, you sign an agreement to spay or neuter. They are trying to bring back attributes of Boxers when they were used for working. They do Schutzhund and IPO titles, and are connected with the Federation of Working Dogs. When John Wagner, an industrialist from Milwaukee brought Boxers over from German, his kennel did well in some of the shows in Madison Square Garden. He did dock tails, and ears, and I don't think the AKC still shuns dogs that are not docked in their show rings. This US group does Schutzhund work, including bite work. I believe bite work was banned with the AKC early because it was too violent.

I have seen dogs removed from future Atibox activities if they show any aggression to other dogs or people. They are very strict here about that also. Of course there are always people that will breed this dogs just for profit. There are also bad trainers who can ruin a working dog early on.

http://www.usabox.org/ I lost my male about six months ago at 12. We enjoyed the community of owners who are breeding along these lines. There are very few clubs, and they are scattered around the US. I think it would be very important to buy a dog from a breeder who has a working club available within driving distance. These dogs can get bored, and to ensure a quality of life for them they need to train. We drove about 3 hours, round trip, for training at least a couple days a week.
It was a couple days a month that we trained, not weeks.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
What a great and interesting text. I don't know anything about boxer breeding in America. It is a pity that there is a problem with aggression. In Europe, the standard is monitored, there is an international exhibition ATIBOX. An aggressive or cowardly dog is not allowed to breed and is rejected in the ring immediately. Currently, boxers are companion dogs, dogs for family and sport. They are very friendly to people and especially children. But they still have a solid shape. And the work of K9 today is performed by Malinois.😊
The German boxer is a noble dog, but it has the soul of a puppy until old age. As for the name, if there is an American Bulldog, why not an American boxer?
Well you do ask very valid question's! But the American Bull Dog, has been here since the 1700's. And there are several types, that lay claim to the same name .... but the biggest Dog Fight over than name and those dog's was between these guys! Allen Scott and John D. Johnson.. and a well your dog's suck and mine are better kinda thing.

So now there are two types and well really three of you count the Scott/Johnson Hybrid's?? And the AKC does not recognize the American Bull Dog as a "Breed," but many other organizations do. And without the AKC to referee as it were?? They both claimed "American Bull Dog," as there dog's names. But if you dig deeper you will see Scott type American Bull Dog and a Johnson type American Bull Dog. And (to keep it simple) The Scott look's like a very large "Pitt," (which is a type of dog and not a Breed) and the other, look's very much like a "Boxer," on steroid's, for the most part. Without the AKC, to set "Type," as it were ... that is what you end up with ... I suppose???

The Boxer in America, I would speculate "by passed that kinda "mess," mostly because they were "Already here, (in America) first recognized by the AKC, in 1904. I suspect the original dog's were all pure "Euro's," we tend to lump them all together ... Our Bad." And they were just "more dog," then people were prepared to deal with.

So while the Boxer has been in America for about 116 year's thet only became "popular here" after, the troops came home with there dog's and you know, changed them ... and thus came about the "American Line Boxer's!" And well they were a hit! And "technically," I suppose they should have been "Recognized," as a "separate, Breed??" But that boat sailed, well about 70 year's ago. And "Close Enough," was "Good Enough!" And there is "no cry, to split them up??" :)

The only real question ... lost to history now, I suppose?? Is did the "Physical," changes drive the change in "Personality" or did the change "Physically," change the "Personality??" And you know ... how did "Goofy," get to be a "Breed Characteristic?"

But they became a hit and overwhelmed, the Euro Boxer's here ... so much so that today much of JQP, has no idea that Boxer's are from Dog's of War, for the most part?? But the "Euro's are still the "Euro's!" And if one want's a "serious," Boxer ... well that is what you get. Those Boxer's are still doing the LE gig in the US today ... in the "Midwest," at any rate, the AL Boxer's not so much apparently?? I have none of only One AL LE K9 and that was about 15 year's ago ...

But "Human Aggression??" In Boxers of either line seems, to be really rare here??? One or two every couple of year's or so for the most part?? BTE2 would have more to say about that.

But German Shepard's by contrast??? LOL, well I don't know they were 20 or 30 year's ago??? But 15 year's ago it started to go like this ...

American Line, Show line, Working line, it does not seem to matter??? And the H/A crap tend's to show up in the 12 to 18 month range ...if you did "stuff wrong in the beginning??" And for the most (I would speculate) think of the "loose structure "we," tend to have with our Boxer's," and don't do that! :)

But hey, they are/can be "Great Dog's," when you get them right ... if you (know/figure out) how to fix what you did wrong, "if," the dog is fundamentally sound! Sigh ... nonetheless the GSD is alway's in the top 5 of most pouplar Breed in America for 10 year's running or more at this point??? Go figure??

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would be happy if either of the two happen:

1. North American boxers become a separate breed
2. North American breeders make a concerted effort to bring back genuine working ability. Boxer remains as one breed.

It should be noted that there is a relatively recent precedent for option 1, with the Akita. AKC is the only major organization that classifies both types as one breed. The rest of the world (including its country of origin) has the Akita and the American Akita as separate breeds.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
You got that right Ivan , Euro boxer or GSD's should have even temperaments when they are bred correctly. Some 40 years ago I had a GSD that sire and dam were both Schutzhund trained imported dogs and the breeder I purchased mine from was into training with our local GSD club. They also recommended obedience training back then and had classes for anyone who bought one of their puppies. I attended many of these and had a good stable well trained dog when i was thru. In the past I had many American line GSD's none of who had stable temperaments. I have no clue whats out their today but my next boxer or even a GSD will be a "true" euro.
Lindar, I think some of the problems that might arise from buying a Euro Boxer from Schutzhund Lines is that they are bred to have very high prey drive, and food drive. There is intense focus on a tug, or ball which is used to build drive. If you're not familiar with this type of training, the stubborn and bored Boxer might take over. They don't allow abusive tactics in training, that might have been used years ago. If the dog act shy, or nervous, or doesn't look like he's have a "great" time during Schutzhund OB, or bite work, they lose points or are disqualified.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
I would be happy if either of the two happen:

1. North American boxers become a separate breed
2. North American breeders make a concerted effort to bring back genuine working ability. Boxer remains as one breed.

It should be noted that there is a relatively recent precedent for option 1, with the Akita. AKC is the only major organization that classifies both types as one breed. The rest of the world (including its country of origin) has the Akita and the American Akita as separate breeds.
Aww, I don't know as there is "obviously," already a "North American Boxer." If you will, they just "Hide in Plain Sight," as it were. And I for one say ..."That's just fine by me." :)

If one tried to "add in," more ... "Real Working Dog," ability "back into the American Line Boxer??? You would be "striving to "undo," about 70 years of unbridled success! And to go with the obvious ... there are no call's for a smaller lighter, slimmer Boxer as a "Real Working Dog??"

And frankly the "American Versions," of the GSD and the Akita both kinda ... well suck?? Neurotic, unstable, and weak nerves, is not "uncommon." And going after family and stranger's is not unknown??? Not exactly shining example of "America, can do it better???" The "American Line Boxer," however "is," a "Shining example of "Getting it Right!" Sigh "aside from the numerous "health issues??" They got the "Boxer," just right for American, Audiences in my estimation .... "No Need To Change a Thing."

It's just not that simple to create a "safe for, JQP" ... "Watered Down version, Working Line Dog," apparently, from real Working line Dog's??? Folk's have tried and had well "mixed success," I would say. Only the American Line Boxer ... has been a Hugh unbridled success! A "watered down version," of the Real Deal, if you will. But hey ... that's just fine by me.:)

What ever they changed, 70 years ago ... with the Boxer's reintroduction to America .... they changed for a reason??? Personally I can't understand why a dog would need to change "physically," to "create, different drives and personality?? But hey I am not a "Dog Man," and back then some of them thought ... that is exactly what I need to do and Hey, I'll add in "Goofy," as an extra kick! And as, they say the rest is History. And you know ... those that don't learn from histroy are doom,ed to repeat it, just saying. :)

So if you start to add back in ... what was lost??? What would you get?? Well ... I don't know as I don't know ... what was done??? But hey if it's that a big a issue for folk's ... there is always, the Euro/American!

Lot's of them to be found ... those and American Line's are all I see around here?? And the American/Euro's I have met are not "exactly," the same as my Struddell, who I had to theft proof, for the front yard cuz everyone was her friend! IE a Stranger was jsut a friend ... I have not met??? The Euro's I know at least "briefly," give you the impression that this is a "serious freaking dog!" But if this guy ... is good with Mom or Dad?? OK then and with that they were just like my Struddell! :)

My WL GSD, was not that "great," with the transition, ... if Dad said OK, ... well "Good Enough," but I'm gonna stay here and stand by ... just in case??? He pretty much "trusted know one," (aside from me and my wife) well "two people," in his ten years of life that I felt he was safe to be left alone with! And he did not like Toddlers! Proven to be true under carefully controlled condition's!! And yet ... when unexpectedly confronted by a "Toddler!!" In an out of site of place, with no "Daddy to be found, to look to for direction???" IE ... "Crap Happens??" He also showed he knew how to deal with a "Non Threat Properly!" And that time ... he "Broke Command," and "Walked Away!! :)

You can't train a dog to make "Good Choices," unless ... they have, "The Right Stuff." But all that kinda "Crap." Is for the most part "no one," with a typical par for the course "North American Boxer, even has to think about???

The trade off for "whatever they lack in "IPO Dog" potential ... is they are "Safe with people!" No Training Required! :)

Now if one wanted a North American based ... IPO Boxer, well you know just get a Euro/American Boxer! You get your shorter stubby face and your deep chest and tiny waist, not quite as bulky and heavy as a full Euro but bigger than a true AL Boxer! And most likely IPO "potential," already built in?? Easy to find ... if you know what your looking for. :)

And no need to "reinvent the wheel as it were." Just my two cent's on the matter ... Not that I have thought about it. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Aww, I don't know as there is "obviously," already a "North American Boxer." If you will, they just "Hide in Plain Sight," as it were. And I for one say ..."That's just fine by me." :)

If one tried to "add in," more ... "Real Working Dog," ability "back into the American Line Boxer??? You would be "striving to "undo," about 70 years of unbridled success! And to go with the obvious ... there are no call's for a smaller lighter, slimmer Boxer as a "Real Working Dog??"

And frankly the "American Versions," of the GSD and the Akita both kinda ... well suck?? Neurotic, unstable, and weak nerves, is not "uncommon." And going after family and stranger's is not unknown??? Not exactly shining example of "America, can do it better???" The "American Line Boxer," however "is," a "Shining example of "Getting it Right!" Sigh "aside from the numerous "health issues??" They got the "Boxer," just right for American, Audiences in my estimation .... "No Need To Change a Thing."

It's just not that simple to create a "safe for, JQP" ... "Watered Down version, Working Line Dog," apparently, from real Working line Dog's??? Folk's have tried and had well "mixed success," I would say. Only the American Line Boxer ... has been a Hugh unbridled success! A "watered down version," of the Real Deal, if you will. But hey ... that's just fine by me.:)

What ever they changed, 70 years ago ... with the Boxer's reintroduction to America .... they changed for a reason??? Personally I can't understand why a dog would need to change "physically," to "create, different drives and personality?? But hey I am not a "Dog Man," and back then some of them thought ... that is exactly what I need to do and Hey, I'll add in "Goofy," as an extra kick! And as, they say the rest is History. And you know ... those that don't learn from histroy are doom,ed to repeat it, just saying. :)

So if you start to add back in ... what was lost??? What would you get?? Well ... I don't know as I don't know ... what was done??? But hey if it's that a big a issue for folk's ... there is always, the Euro/American!

Lot's of them to be found ... those and American Line's are all I see around here?? And the American/Euro's I have met are not "exactly," the same as my Struddell, who I had to theft proof, for the front yard cuz everyone was her friend! IE a Stranger was jsut a friend ... I have not met??? The Euro's I know at least "briefly," give you the impression that this is a "serious freaking dog!" But if this guy ... is good with Mom or Dad?? OK then and with that they were just like my Struddell! :)

My WL GSD, was not that "great," with the transition, ... if Dad said OK, ... well "Good Enough," but I'm gonna stay here and stand by ... just in case??? He pretty much "trusted know one," (aside from me and my wife) well "two people," in his ten years of life that I felt he was safe to be left alone with! And he did not like Toddlers! Proven to be true under carefully controlled condition's!! And yet ... when unexpectedly confronted by a "Toddler!!" In an out of site of place, with no "Daddy to be found, to look to for direction???" IE ... "Crap Happens??" He also showed he knew how to deal with a "Non Threat Properly!" And that time ... he "Broke Command," and "Walked Away!! :)

You can't train a dog to make "Good Choices," unless ... they have, "The Right Stuff." But all that kinda "Crap." Is for the most part "no one," with a typical par for the course "North American Boxer, even has to think about???

The trade off for "whatever they lack in "IPO Dog" potential ... is they are "Safe with people!" No Training Required! :)

Now if one wanted a North American based ... IPO Boxer, well you know just get a Euro/American Boxer! You get your shorter stubby face and your deep chest and tiny waist, not quite as bulky and heavy as a full Euro but bigger than a true AL Boxer! And most likely IPO "potential," already built in?? Easy to find ... if you know what your looking for. :)

And no need to "reinvent the wheel as it were." Just my two cent's on the matter ... Not that I have thought about it. :)
What traits are most people looking for when they get a boxer?

·
Registered
57 Posts

I have been around a lot of working GSD, dutchies and Mals. none of them are as unstable or unpredictable as what you describe even the IPO3 mals are very predictable around strangers.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have been around a lot of working GSD, dutchies and Mals. none of them are as unstable or unpredictable as what you describe even the IPO3 mals are very predictable around strangers.
Yeah, thats the thing. If you have a dog in IPO/IPG it better be stable or you and the dog won't last very long.

I think the bigger issue of certain breeds becoming unstable is, bad breeding and people who get a certain breed because its popular or seen it on tv, ect. without ever doing anything to work the dog. Doesn't even have to be IPO/IPG it could just be you yourself giving your dog a job. Any high drive dog that sits in a house and is only let out in the back yard is going to be unstable.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I don't have any proof, but if I had to guess, sadly, coloring is probably at the top of the list for a lot of people.

I personally would go with health, nerves and drive. I wish I could breed just my guys nerves with a higher drive. :)

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
LOL, well it's most likely a "Big Ask," for a "single member" of JQP, to answer .... "What traits are most people looking for when they get a boxer?" But hey, I am our was a "member" of JQP, when I got my "first Boxer!"

My first WL GSD, with H/A issues, sigh did move me out of the JQP, category and "Ironically enough for me??? Into the "Behaviorist Camp???" Personally, I always thought those guy's were full off crap! "As they don't really train dog's," ie not "Dog Trainer's," but the "Good One's," can make "Bad Dog's," easier to live with "proper Management!" So that is me.

My Bella ... showed me ... sigh I am not a "Dog Trainer???" But the over lap in "disciplines," means she is easy to live with ... "wart's and all." :)

But back on point. I remember where I came from, and when I was "JQP," and I wanted a Boxer. I already had a "American Band Dawg," sigh "Aggressive Male, dog" with other other Dog Issues?? Great dog ... but he had "that (other dog) issue," ... first dog I ever to took a "Pro," for an Evaluation??? And the "Pro," said he is not "Dog Aggressive," he is just a "Dominate Male Dog!" Now in retro spec ... his attitude with other dog's should not have been that big a surprise?? 50% APBT/25% Bull Mastiff and 25% Lab. He loved uh water and people but other Dog's... not so much??

But now I knew, Gunther was not a "Dog Park Dog??" Sooo, no Dog Park's and taught him to "ignore other dog's." And got on with life. :)

And realizing that in the "Real World," in the Dog Park. There are Dog's just like my Gunther "were," out there and those "owner's," uh "Don't Care!" IE ...not my problem, so since Gunther, I have never been a Dog Park Guy.

But nonetheless, JQP average "Boxer Owner," does "automatically expect," there dog will do just "Fine." In a "Dog Park environment?? So there is that.

But that aside JQP average "Boxer," wanta get owner?? Just like the "look!" They aren't looking for a challenge, they don't want "Dog Aggression, or GOD forbid H/A??? They just a want a safe dog, that gets along with People and Kid's! And a dog that they can take everywhere family gathering's, barbecue's etc, etc lot's of kid's and people and "stuff." And not give it a second thought??

And typically in "America," they would have no idea what a "Euro Boxer," is??? They want a "Boxer," just like there neighbor's Boxer. Which would typical be a AL Boxer?? And yeah kinda "high strung and busy??" But very friendly and a great dog!

JQP, typically knows "nothing of a Euro Boxer?? They would only become "aware," of them if they were a "Boxer Enthusiast, on here or you know ... just happen to see one?? And then there first question would be, uh is that a Boxer?? And second "why is his face so short and gee ... he's kinada big?? :)

And even if you had done some research?? And actually attended AKC show's, and I have ... you'd still not know, cuz they aren't segregated. In the real world in 20 some odd year's? I have never seen a full Euro Boxer??

In Ca where I lived for for 23 year's, all the Boxer's I ever saw were American Line?? And when we moved to NV in 2003 I have seen mostly AL Boxer's but I have seen "more," Euro/American here. My friend's have a cross ... he is quite a bit bigger, then my Stru ... well he is a male and I had a girl. But he is much, much larger but he has the same deep chest and tiny waist as my girl but his face is a "whole lot shorter!" And his personality, is just the slightest, bit different?? As he at least recognizes you as a stranger?? And then he goes ... "Oh Yeah, I know this guy! And then it is same old same old ... just like my Struddell! :)

But typically as far as "Working Line Dog's," go a Boxer is the safest choice for most people! I would recommend one to some people I know ... if "pressed!" But ... I would add "Train Place!" And your life will be easier! Other wise a "Boxer," could be a "Hair Pulling," experience but you know not a "Law Suit!" On four paw's looking for a place to happen. :)

But for JQP ... your GSD's Your Mal's etc,etc ... I say "Good Luck," with that for most people. :)

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
LOL, well as the saying goes "Don't Shoot The Messenger!" :)

I don't live in Europe?? I live "here." The USA. And I don't need to make crap up about GSD's gone "wrong??" They are in the link I provided ... ie Germanshepard.Com, the Aggression Forum. I posted the link a couple day's ago and I will "Guarantee You," that new issues have cropped up since then! It's a thing!

In America we all remember, the old school WL GSD of old ie Roy Roger's Bullet and RIn Tin Tin and Lobo! And the day's when K9 officers brought there dog's to grade school and us kid's could pet and hug them and fawn all over them.

LOL, well you can just forget that crap today! In civilian life the LE K9's are "suppose," to be the "epitome" of "civil??" Yeah well as I said you can forget that crap today! And yeah ... some of those K9 guy's are not as "Good as ME!" My WL GSD ... who did not likeToddler's or anyone aside from me or my wife! DId not maul "my" kid's leg off and had to have a neigbor save my kid from my dog!! Yeah that happened! Or you know my WL GSD ... in training ... did not bolt out the Door and bite my neighbor in the Ass! Yep that happened too! Or you know me ... as a K9 officer being sent to Prison cuz my K9 WL GSD ... "Killed My Neighbor!!" Yep ... that happened also! And you know posting that one, on Germanshepard.Com, got me banned! By the same mod tool, who's ... ex Navy Seal MAl/Dutichie, Cross reject! Craved up the Kennel Master when Slam Dunk ... left the dog in his care!

I luv, WL GSD's myself but "I," would not recommend them to, "anyone," I know!" A "Boxer," maybe??:)

So yess, I get IPO3 Dog's and that is what I would "expect!" A dog that is able to "precevie," a threat from a "non threat??"? I live by a Police Sub station and they have Wl GSD there all the time. And I got to see and admire there dog's all the tim. And they would see and my Rocky and wave. But I knew my Wl GSD who did not like "people," was "SAFE and CIVIL!" Those K9 0fficer's dog ... I was not so sure?? Soo, I kept my distance!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Chip I don't think anyone is saying there aren't instances of problems happening, hell you could say that about any breed. I just don't think you can lump a whole breed in because of some bad instances. I personally have 3 neighbors who have GSD's. 2 are the epitome of stable, awesome dogs. The 3rd a little bit nervy but not aggressive or anything. Also know a guy who lives near me and has nothing but GSD's(retired & active) that do IGP. I have never felt the least bit uncomfortable around them.

And I was attacked by a white GSD when I was younger. Minding my business and the thing latched onto my arm. Came out of nowhere. The police later found out it who's it was and that the owner just kept it in the house & back yard. Luckily had all its shots up to date and it was winter so I had on a heavy coat. Can't blame the dog for that, the owner had no business with that dog.

I think we all agree high drive dogs should not be for the average homeowner who just wants a pet for the backyard or to walk once in awhile. I would bet most instances of issues come from that. This goes back to the breeder though and selling & breeding their dogs responsibly.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts